Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If you've ever taken 695 around Baltimore to get to Washington DC or points further South you've probably driven across this bridge. Absolutely crazy. If there is any bright side, thank goodness it happened in the middle of the night instead of rush hour when there would have been a hundreds cars on there.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
wow...pilot error?

wind was strong....local buoy says 14ft at 14sec....vivid storm...
Apparently the ship lost power. Besides the loss of life this is a major road around a major city that already has bad traffic. Its also a major port, now completely blocked. Will probably take a few weeks to clear the channel. Traffic on this bridge averages over 30,000 cars per day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
The tractor trailer in this picture gives you an idea of the size of this bridge. There is nearly half a mile of roadway in the water.
Wow. Just to echo your OP, there definitely could have been several hundred cars on that bridge. Crazy how the whole thing dropped quick. :oops:

I know several people who have a fear of bridges. This is going to have a lot of people taking the long long way.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Wow. Just to echo your OP, there definitely could have been several hundred cars on that bridge. Crazy how the whole thing dropped quick. :oops:

I know several people who have a fear of bridges. This is going to have a lot of people taking the long long way.
Its crazy to think about it when its a bridge you've driven across with the whole family in the car. I've probably used that bridge a dozen times with the family. I'm sure plenty of others here have too. Its one of the main routes to get around Baltimore heading North or South on 95. Your options are the Tunnel on 95 and 895 which both back up and if there is a lot of traffic there Google will route you to this bridge. The 3rd option without getting off of major highways is the Beltway west of the city. I hate the 3rd option and rate it as one of the craziest accident prone/major backup prone pieces of highway on the east coast.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Its crazy to think about it when its a bridge you've driven across with the whole family in the car. I've probably used that bridge a dozen times with the family. I'm sure plenty of others here have too. Its one of the main routes to get around Baltimore heading North or South on 95. Your options are the Tunnel on 95 and 895 which both back up and if there is a lot of traffic there Google will route you to this bridge. The 3rd option without getting off of major highways is the Beltway west of the city. I hate the 3rd option and rate it as one of the craziest accident prone/major backup prone pieces of highway on the east coast.
Never stopped in Baltimore, but have driven up and down I95 several times. Is this bridge on one of the outer loops I might have taken to avoid traffic? I know I've used the outer loops around DC and Richmond. Don't remember if this was an option around Baltimore. It's been several years.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Bridges and boats at night, bad stuff seems to happen. Had a train bridge come down on a boat I was running, operator forgot to hit bell, had tide on my ass so all I could do goose the throttle FWD to minimize damage.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ and Sharkbiscuit
Nov 16, 2023
NTSB gonna have their hands full with this one. Similar thing happened in Fl a long time ago with the sunshine skyway bridge but I believe that was pilot error. I spent a good portion of my career working on bridge construction. Scary to think about.