Foils at Swamis

Oct 15, 2015
Paddled out at Swamis this morning. Clean short period swell, 3 ft and a little mixed up but fun. First set I saw guy goes streaking by on a foil. If you surf Swamis regularly you've seen him out at Boneyards. Got outside and everyone was grumbling. As the guy joined the line up I approached him and let him know that no one was appreciative of his presence, his actions would only invite more foils. Bonies was wide open and he ultimately paddled away. No hassle or defensiveness, just cool heads and common sense. Thankfully.

Here is my question. How are other prime spots handling this. Are they trying foils at Trestles, Malibu, Rincon, the Lane? Hanalei Bay? We're lucky we have an outside reef to absorb all SUP's, kayaks and now foils.

Seeing that guy fly by I could only imagine my head bashed in or my abdomen sliced open.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Considering this is your first post, I must ask you to remove your top.

Now, valid question. Although I never surf Swami's, it's unacceptable. There are plenty of spots for foilers that are out of the way.
I surfed Hanalei in February and they stayed well out to sea.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I think foiling is cool, but not in lineups with paddle surfers. I've been out at Sunset Point with guys who are good, lifeguards, etc. but they go do fall, and there's a lot of sharp, metal hardware when they do. Heaven forbid they collide with someone. But it opens up such new waveriding opportunities far offshore, especially downwinder runs, so as long as braddahs don't get greedy and be safe it's all good! The ocean's fvcking big...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
At Rincon SUPs get shut down instantly. It just isn’t going to happen and it apparently doesn’t matter who you are.

It’s not tolerated.

I haven’t heard of even an attempt at foiling there.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Only a matter of time until one shows up at La Jolla Shores, which is pretty much a melting pot of total bozos, good surfers, and the older crowd.

SUP’s are commonplace in the morning lineup and it sucks. If Foils start showing up, I hope the paddlers take a stand because I will. Not on the same wavelength, literally and figuratively speaking. As if regular surfboards aren’t dangerous enough and n crowded situations, now we’ve added boats (SUPs) and oversized heavy duty fins (Foils).

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
capnfuzz said:
Paddled out at Swamis this morning. Clean short period swell, 3 ft and a little mixed up but fun. First set I saw guy goes streaking by on a foil. If you surf Swamis regularly you've seen him out at Boneyards. Got outside and everyone was grumbling. As the guy joined the line up I approached him and let him know that no one was appreciative of his presence, his actions would only invite more foils. Bonies was wide open and he ultimately paddled away. No hassle or defensiveness, just cool heads and common sense. Thankfully.

Here is my question. How are other prime spots handling this. Are they trying foils at Trestles, Malibu, Rincon, the Lane? Hanalei Bay? We're lucky we have an outside reef to absorb all SUP's, kayaks and now foils.

Seeing that guy fly by I could only imagine my head bashed in or my abdomen sliced open.
Thanks for regulating. Kooks on longboards next. Those guys are dangerous

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
capnfuzz said:
:roflmao:

Have you even seen a foil up close? Touched it? Leading edges are not sharp.

:trout:

Oct 15, 2015
I must admit that I have not inspected a foil up close. I have seen the rig of the guy I referenced in the parking lot and it looked like a guillotine.

There is a time and a place but not at crowded point breaks.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
i was on oahu last week and its pretty well understood that foilers stay away from the crowded lineups...we dont even want those waves usually anyway...2 foot mush is perfect...maui with kaser same thing...

having said that at malibu only Andy and I foil and i dont go where there are surfers around and split when they show up....theres just waaaay too many other new spots i can a hell of a good time now...

this has the potential to turn really bad really fast especially in socal here and we WILL be regulating 1st, 2nd and 3rd to new foil guys...

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
Lineups here are fine with all the expert guys. They even have their own spots but if they do drop in it’s so far on the shoulder that it is a non issue. When the wide sets start closing the channel they clear out and head to outer reefs. Some spots have so many tigers that no one likes to foil cause the sharks have chased them like they chase oc 1 canoes. I’m more concerned with the aggressive crowd at the peak than some cruisers on the shoulder!

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
" ...this has the potential to turn really bad really fast...."

This might be a fair assessment of the growing foil situation.

I'm going to start practicing my evasive maneuvers to avoid contact with these contraptions.

Hope the surf gets really big and pumping where you live, big waves and sneaker sets are
now your best friends, but then again, they always have been, right?

....I am goingoutside now....it's gonna be a long .....summer.....

TECHNOBUTTER

Nep status
Apr 26, 2017
NC
The blade fell off a foil somewhere near where I surf so now there's a fucken metal blade waiting for someone to make a mistake on a calm beach break.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Kaser1 said:
capnfuzz said:

You ever see what just a fin can do to flesh? We all know you’ve given up surfing for foiling but don’t play dumb.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Kaser1 said:
capnfuzz said:

Pro-foil propaganda. GTFO with those things. Stay away from surfers and swimmers, please.

The only good thing about the photo below is that this guy was hit with his own foil...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
TECHNOBUTT said:
The blade fell off a foil somewhere near where I surf so now there's a fucken metal blade waiting for someone to make a mistake on a calm beach break.
Go find it and sell it to some wannabe Laird “waterman” kook.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Kaser1 said:
capnfuzz said:

:socrazy: :socrazy: :socrazy: :socrazy:

Intentional deception.

The trail edge of a foil's mast is like a metal blade.

I was shocked at how sharp it actually was.

No I would not want to tangle with one.