Foils at Swamis

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Its another fad like SUP

What dumb bullshit is going to come out of Maui next?

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
Are we seriously debating the danger of metal?
A hammer isn't sharp but I wouldn't want to get hit in the head in the water with one of those either.

Foils need to be kept away from paddling surfers IMO, anything else is just asking for a bad accident to happen.
You can say the same about bad SUP riders....not all because some can actually surf and not be dangerous. 70% of the people I see out are novice SUPers with ZERO surfing ability or knowledge.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Just observing people around you in society makes it pretty clear that many don't care about anyone else but themselves. This is not surprising at all.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Firebird said:
I surfed Hanalei in February and they stayed well out to sea.
Surfed Hanalei a few weeks ago and there were a bunch of foilers way outside, towing in. But there was also a guy, right in the middle of everyone, paddling in and foiling. He was really good, and would just burn everybody and go flying through the crowd down the line, at what looked like 35 mph. Was sketchy for sure, when he'd pass you, 10 feet away.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Duffy said:
At Rincon SUPs get shut down instantly. It just isn’t going to happen and it apparently doesn’t matter who you are.

It’s not tolerated.

I haven’t heard of even an attempt at foiling there.
I have to commend the Rincon crew on the complete shutdown of SUP's. :applause:

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
I had guy try to sell me a full board and foil for a grand the other day. I called my foil friend and he advised me to stay away from cloud 9 foils because the flex of the mast and wings make them bad. I just saw the guy again and he told me my buddy is full of it and cloud 9 is the best brand. Now I’m just confused.

Apr 14, 2018
capnfuzz said:
Paddled out at Swamis this morning. Clean short period swell, 3 ft and a little mixed up but fun. First set I saw guy goes streaking by on a foil. If you surf Swamis regularly you've seen him out at Boneyards. Got outside and everyone was grumbling. As the guy joined the line up I approached him and let him know that no one was appreciative of his presence, his actions would only invite more foils. Bonies was wide open and he ultimately paddled away. No hassle or defensiveness, just cool heads and common sense. Thankfully.

Here is my question. How are other prime spots handling this. Are they trying foils at Trestles, Malibu, Rincon, the Lane? Hanalei Bay? We're lucky we have an outside reef to absorb all SUP's, kayaks and now foils.

Seeing that guy fly by I could only imagine my head bashed in or my abdomen sliced open.
Could you announce when you'll be at Hanalei to regulate foils? Start with that guy Laird. Could be entertaining.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Tragic said:
GDaddy said:
He's the *********** we blame for SUPs.
Have you mentioned it to him?

I know the idiots got the rep, but Laird was the original Kauai badass.
I'm pretty sure he knows what he did but doesn't care. Being badass doesn't compensate for that.

Apr 14, 2018
GDaddy said:
Tragic said:
GDaddy said:
He's the *********** we blame for SUPs.
Have you mentioned it to him?

I know the idiots got the rep, but Laird was the original Kauai badass.
I'm pretty sure he knows what he did but doesn't care. Being badass doesn't compensate for that.

GDaddy... I see you're into sow hats too. Heres mine

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Whatever my faults, I'm not greedy with my wavecount and i would never choose a board for the purpose of fkg other surfers over for their waves.