Foil Session Logs

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Hdip said:
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fphoto.php%3Ffbid%3D10217101182135485%26set%3Da.1364807114017%26type%3D3&width=500" width="500" height="337" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Love this shot.
Greg, I think I saw this guy out there on Friday (white board, MFC foil, reg foot). He's really good.

Dec 5, 2018
Hdip said:
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fphoto.php%3Ffbid%3D10217101182135485%26set%3Da.1364807114017%26type%3D3&width=500" width="500" height="337" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Love this shot.
That is Ian, one of the best out there, he really rips !! His set up is amazing : he has a front wing MFC1250/70cm Naish Mast/F4rear wing, how crazy is that !!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Finally found the line to connect two for ones all the way on the outside today. Super fun. Fell on a head high left when I breached at the top of the wave and fell about eight feet it felt like,tweaked my back a bit though.

I want a new foil but really my 2017 naish large works perfectly well. So I gotta keep telling myself that.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Hdip said:
Finally found the line to connect two for ones all the way on the outside today. Super fun. Fell on a head high left when I breached at the top of the wave and fell about eight feet it felt like,tweaked my back a bit though.

I want a new foil but really my 2017 naish large works perfectly well. So I gotta keep telling myself that.
I have an app that measures distance and speed of my rides, but I think most of my top speeds are the result of getting tossed from the top of the mast.

Top speed today 18.2 mph, 2 seconds.

Dec 5, 2018
Hdip said:

I would say the best is to try as many as you can.

Also just like you mentioned, when you don't have choice and when you stick to the same equipement, you learn how to use it a its full potential.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Session log from yesterday...new breakthroughs

I've been out of the water for about a week, suffered a deep finger cut that needed stiches. Yesterday I covered it up and took the GL out for mini downwinders at Hookipa. Chip in at Pavils and turn out to sea once on foil. Wind direction, swell, everything was lined up and I was able to read and quarter the lines pretty good. Had one screamer through middles section and had to turn to shore otherwise I would have blown past the landing and ended up at Kuau.

So I got a good sample of the downwinder aspect, pretty fun IMO. Something to do when surf is flat (like now).

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Fought the rising tide and diminishing swell today. First ride was fun all the way through. 2nd ride at the inside spot to get in and walk back was fun. Sat for a good half hour before I even had another attempt at a wave breaking off the outside reef. It barely capped and I got into it with a well timed jump to my feet and pump. It wasn't going to go all the way through so I went left. Kicked out with speed and pumped almost all the way back out. Then I sat for 45 minutes. I had a chance at one set, but it didn't break and even though I got to my feet on one I couldn't pump into it. Paddled in and surfed the inside for a couple before getting out of there.

In other news I finally had to remove a seized bolt. One of the screws from the mast to baseplate. I rarely take those bolts out. 2 I was able to get out, but that third one was just stripping the bolt and I was making no headway with it. I can vouch for this impact screwdriver as working real easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NPPATS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was only $13 when I bought it. Took the screw out after some whacks with a hammer, replaced it with an .80 cent bolt from home depot that I had already bought when I switched out all my other bolts. Good to go.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
stainless bolts in a brass lock nut in the tracks all in salt water....SOMETHING has to corrode....i.e. the brass threads or whatever is least noble....zinc plated washers from home depot will provide cathodic protection for a few months at a time

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
How's the high tide at night been treating you steamroller?

It was tiny today. Flat basically. Kind of perfect for 2 for 1's though. They really up your wave count. Rode about 20 waves in an hour. Water was warm, sun was out, beach was empty. Not ideal but I'll take it.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
More adventures on the Naish XL wing, actually pumped from spot A to spot B paralleling to shore last session and nearly into my first 2 for 1 today.

While I've gotten the hang of the XL, I have definitely found it's limit in wave power. Spot A is pretty gutless and the wave peters out toward shore, allowing me to zig and zag on the XL to stay on the power source. Spot B builds in strength as it reaches shore and the speed becomes unmanageable on the face, but rockets you out the back if you kick out early.

I've gotten my hands on a Naish medium wing and am gonna give that a go at spot B with the rising swell.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
You're getting quite the Naish collection grendel. Let me know how that Medium goes. I've given up on the XL. It's not for me. For the spots I surf I can make the L go in anything because the waves cap on a reef and I can just sit right where it breaks to get in. The medium could be interesting though.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
after significant testing today at high tide malibu i have determined that the GL210 is not the best option for prone foilsurf....SUP its gangbusterss! good...prone not so much....waaaay to much lift....that is all

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Steamroller said:
after significant testing today at high tide malibu i have determined that the GL210 is not the best option for prone foilsurf....SUP its gangbusterss! good...prone not so much....waaaay to much lift....that is all
Damn, I have one inbound.

What’s the span on that beast?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Quite a bit bigger than I expected and not much time to surf, so not too successful a day testing the Naish medium.

For the most part the M felt the same as the L, same lift and turning on the wave.The big difference was trying to pump the wing out the back, it felt like all the stability was gone and the slightest balance mistake and I was back in the water. I compared the M to the L while swapping them, the size difference isn't too great and the shapes is exactly the same (unlike the L to XL).

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Clamsmasha said:
Steamroller said:
Damn, I have one inbound.

What’s the span on that beast?

the one i gotnis the prototype...extra wide chord length....the production wings will be about 1 inch less chord that is from leading edge to trailing edge...should be more manageable...so youre probably stl good...i got one on order too.....i think thats the reason why....the thing pumps ....FOR....EV...ERRRRRR....if you lose ypu speed and splash down you can still recover it and get airborne...easy to do on a SUP with a paddle ...but unheard of ona prone board....so thats prettyGREAT!.....its just when turning wants to jumpnout of the water all the time ...i had to put my front foot about an inch more forward and the footstraps wouldnt go that far...the span tip to tip is about an inch longer than the Maliko200 from tip to tip so it still just barely fits in the old original blue bag though....

i should probably mention that this is only a first test....the new T-tail is adjustable....just slip on or out a washer to change the pitch of the rear elevator wing....test #2today....will report

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Drove all around looking for a real wave since I saw a good instagram post today. Decided if it's going to look ugly and kinda morning sick screw that I'll just foil and know I'll get good waves.

Real fun. Although I did do something stupid. On one wave I bottom turned and did whatever the foil equivalent is of digging a rail. So I knew I was going to fall. I jumped off and underwater did a dolphin kick with both feet. I forgot that the foil was on the same path as me and the wing was chasing me down, I kicked the wing as it was running into me. So my ankle hurts now. I'm exhausted from all the paddling though so I don't really mind.

I also did a criss cross with a guy riding a mat. Alt surf craft for the win!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
My brother asked me if I could put the foil on rail more than I was doing yesterday. So I worked on that today. I did one round house and banked off the white water. I was down real low and it tried to kick flip on me. I had to use my hand on the back pad by my toes to keep it under control. Kinda sprained my fingers though. Haha foiling is rough.

One thing that’s awesome though. I’ve been riding that board for over a year and it’s in great shape. Heavy glass and always being in deep water is amazing for board longevity.