FloriDUH......

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Wrong . . . After I said that I read half of it. That’s a huge difference compared to not reading any of it all. And reading the rest proved to be more of the same that I saw in the first half.

Even KidFury just admitted to only reading a paragraph of it.
ahahahahahaha

ahahahahaha

hoooo boy!

Biden's Afgan Blunder boys just told Puttin they were going to wreck his military

Poke the Bear much ?

They just created a nuclear strike = loss of life to look Beeg
as usual, Greg Griffin in with maximum emotions and minimum facts

you'd think someone so scared up their own ass would take some time to learn about the issue that's got their goat...

but no

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
ahahahahahaha

ahahahahaha

hoooo boy!
Another debate team worthy rebuttal, as expected. Not surprised that you buy into these types of articles whole hog without an ounce of critical thought.

If you look at the racial makeup of skiiers, that same magazine estimates that 72% are white:

"Of the 9.4 million skiers in the United States, 72 percent are white. More than half earn a salary higher than $100,000. For some context, only 20 percent of American households have a combined income of $100K, and 63 percent of the country is white."

Now, look at the % of whites in the upper 20% of income in the US:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2017/10/04/white-still-the-american-upper-middle-class/
"The American upper middle class remains largely white: while 62 percent of Americans aged between 40 and 50 are white, 72 percent of those in the top fifth of the income distribution (for this age group) are white:"

Well look at that . . . . Literally the exact same number, and I found those numbers in 2 minutes with googles search among the top few front page hits. How . . . . Unusual. Which makes for a strong argument that the racial demographic of skiiers, being as expensive as it is, is really just a representation of the economic class that can most easily afford it. Which is a strong argument that the vast majority of the racial disparity in skiing can be explained by economic disparities, not a story about how a certain bridge got its name that very few people know about leading to black people not wanting to ski.

Data & Facts > Feels & Anecdotes

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Might add that average lift ticket costs have increased exponentially in recent years.

Just anecdotal but known plenty of black people that ski/snowboard; they were all relatively affluent.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Might add that average lift ticket costs have increased exponentially in recent years.

Just anecdotal but known plenty of black people that ski/snowboard; they were all relatively affluent.
Agreed. Also I imagine that there is more diversity on the slopes at Big Bear, Tahoe, Mammoth etc because of the proximity to LA and SF. Utah or Montana? Probably not :roflmao:

Reactions: Kento

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
LOL Marc Frank Montoya, this guy, basically every person who isn't lily white and went skiing for any real length of time has the same anecdotes.

Didn't happen. You made it up. Besides it mirrors economic factors.

And above all, the people calling this dude twinkie and slant-eyed devil CANNOT be subject to any criticism whatsoever.

Also BIPOC is a non-starter but talking about free speech when government isn't making laws about Facebook/Twittter is somehow relevant.

• Haha

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
LOL Marc Frank Montoya, this guy, basically every person who isn't lily white and went skiing for any real length of time has the same anecdotes.

Didn't happen. You made it up. Besides it mirrors economic factors.

And above all, the people calling this dude twinkie and slant-eyed devil CANNOT be subject to any criticism whatsoever.

Also BIPOC is a non-starter but talking about free speech when government isn't making laws about Facebook/Twittter is somehow relevant.
Considering he stole his first snowboard, I don't know if Marc Frank is the ideal spokesman for ski area diversity.

Not as bad as Ray Lewis saying I'm Going to Disneyland! though.

• Haha

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Another debate team worthy rebuttal, as expected. Not surprised that you buy into these types of articles whole hog without an ounce of critical thought.

If you look at the racial makeup of skiiers, that same magazine estimates that 72% are white:

"Of the 9.4 million skiers in the United States, 72 percent are white. More than half earn a salary higher than $100,000. For some context, only 20 percent of American households have a combined income of $100K, and 63 percent of the country is white."

Now, look at the % of whites in the upper 20% of income in the US:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2017/10/04/white-still-the-american-upper-middle-class/
"The American upper middle class remains largely white: while 62 percent of Americans aged between 40 and 50 are white, 72 percent of those in the top fifth of the income distribution (for this age group) are white:"

Well look at that . . . . Literally the exact same number, and I found those numbers in 2 minutes with googles search among the top few front page hits. How . . . . Unusual. Which makes for a strong argument that the racial demographic of skiiers, being as expensive as it is, is really just a representation of the economic class that can most easily afford it. Which is a strong argument that the vast majority of the racial disparity in skiing can be explained by economic disparities, not a story about how a certain bridge got its name that very few people know about leading to black people not wanting to ski.

Data & Facts > Feels & Anecdotes
you do realize that you're arguing a non sequitur right now, no?

actually, I don't think you do

go back and re-read the title of the article and then reconsider tilting against windmills and focus on THAT
because THAT is what everyone else is talking about and not the stupid fkn strawman you've constructed in your mind that, I presume, you've chosen to argue because it allows you to completely avoid the underlying point that the guy is making in the article

again, if this stuff is either so difficult for you to comprehend or you consciously/unconsciously choose not to try to understand it in favor of intellectually lazy-ass arguments, maybe don't argue about it....I don't really think you care, you just want to be a contrarian.

I'm here because your entire premise is so fkn off-camber it begs for ridicule

• Haha

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

go back and re-read the title of the article and then reconsider tilting against windmills and focus on THAT
because THAT is what everyone else is talking about and not the stupid fkn strawman you've constructed in your mind that, I presume, you've chosen to argue because it allows you to completely avoid the underlying point that the guy is making in the article

again, if this stuff is either so difficult for you to comprehend or you consciously/unconsciously choose not to try to understand it in favor of intellectually lazy-ass arguments, maybe don't argue about it....I don't really think you care, you just want to be a contrarian.

The only ground you're going to have this argument on is "where is the law that prohibits X people?". The rest of the time will be arguing about the ground you're going to have this argument on.

Reactions: afoaf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

LOL. The empirical data I posted showing a direct correlation between income and race are the windmills, and the author (and you) is the one screeching into them with his anecdotes. To argue that the lack of minorities on ski slopes is primarily attributed to an unwelcome atmosphere, while the % whites on ski slopes and the upper 20% is exactly the same number, is completely idiotic. That correlation is pretty friggin strong, so any "unwelcomeness" would explain maybe 10% of the disparity, at best. I would bet the that R-Squared value between skiiing and income is well over the 70% that makes it statistically significant for publication purposes.

While his anecdotes are valid in his personal experience, they are irrelevant to the half to 2/3s+ of the country that can't even afford a ski trip in the first place to experience such unwelcome behavior.

LOL, you are basically saying that personal anecdotes somehow counterbalance near census grade hard demographic data, and I'm the one being intellectually lazy? While not even trying to address the demographic and economic data I posted? HOLY FOOK :ROFLMAO:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
please tell me how the demographic numbers relate to the author's claim that skiing is unwelcoming to minorities.

let's remember where this started...

What does his race or ethnicity have to do with anything :unsure:

Asians are proof that the obstacles presented by "systemic racism" can be overcome.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
please tell me how the demographic numbers relate to the author's claim that skiing is unwelcoming to minorities.
Now you are simply moving the goalposts. My point has always been that the number of whites on the slopes are primarily a symptom of economics, not structural or institutional racism that alienates minorities. Both can exist and be valid, but the disparity can be primarily attributed to economic realities.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

i think a great deal of America's arguing over race is really more about class than anything else.

that said, systemic racism has always been a problem here.

Reactions: Woke AF

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Now you are simply moving the goalposts. My point has always been that the number of whites on the slopes are primarily a symptom of economics, not structural or institutional racism that alienates minorities. Both can exist and be valid, but the disparity can be primarily attributed to economic realities.
it's not moving the goal posts. your argument is a red herring. I'm not sure how many more ways I can express that here. the question was rhetorical...your demographic numbers are irrelevant; demographics could be different and skiing could still not be "a welcome place to minorities"

holy fk

• Haha