Fireworks bum me out

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Should also point out that the impact on dogs is real. The amount of strays I’ve seen in my neighborhood over the last week of fireworks has really blown up. On my way out of town on Sunday morning we ran into this guy on our morning walk. He was recently groomed and had a collar with no tags and very friendly but scared.

View attachment 157918View attachment 157919

We were all packed up and already running late. So I took him over to the local shelter to see if I could get him checked for a chip but they weren’t open for a couple hours. So I called Angel City Pit Bulls who are a fantastic organization that had a team of volunteers working double time to assist with the load of dogs who run away due to fireworks. They arranged for a volunteer to come meet me. In under thirty minutes I hooked up with their volunteer and she checked him for a chip but unfortunately he didn’t have one. They agreed to take him in and help him find his owners. Shortly after we arrived in Big Bear they texted me to tell me he’d been reunited with his owners and was now chipped.

View attachment 157920

For those of you who live in the Los Angeles area if you ever find a stray I highly recommend calling Angel City Pit Bulls. They help all breeds, not just bullies. (424) 354-3914. This was my first experience with them and it was super impressive.
1688664705542.png

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Our trash bins overflow on summer weekends but that's better than pack it in/pack it out. There's not enough cops to enforce it and there'd just be more people getting shot because someone telling you to pick up after yourself is an executable offense.

Meanwhile some jet skiers were being asshats close to kids in Tampa Bay. Argument led to two groups of people shooting at each other. A grandfather heard shots fired, grabbed a 7-year old, and got in a truck.

Stray round went into the truck got Grampa in the finger and domed the 7-year old. Done.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
we've tried sedatives. dog is too smart. she's strongly food-motivated. we've tried wrapping oral meds in a cheeseburger and she'll figure out a way to eat around the meds.
I hear ya. I’ve found peanut butter to work the best. Some will still spit that out.

- the answer is to either

1 place at the back of their throat n gently hold their mouth closed until you see them swallow. Super easy to do, but not everyone wants to do that.

2 get one of these, they work well, including for cats. It’s what vets use

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
My dogs don't care

Play the stereo with fireworks sounds for him when it's not fireworks season

Funny how making them illegal has sure increased usage. Funny how that works
That's what has happened here. Pass a law banning pretty much all fireworks, and the illegal fireworks have just gotten bigger and louder and 10x more. Cops drive right by, could care less.

Reactions: Havoc and Ifallalot

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Over the years, I've had dogs that wouldn't flinch at the sound of a shotgun 10 feet away and one who at the sound of fireworks would wedge himself between the couch and the wall or go hide under a bed..........and everything in between. Current dog barks his head off which kind of sucks because we live in a neighborhood that is about 40% vacation rentals and you often get yahoo renters in the neighborhood who don't realize that 60% of the people around them aren't on vacation.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Over the years, I've had dogs that wouldn't flinch at the sound of a shotgun 10 feet away and one who at the sound of fireworks would wedge himself between the couch and the wall or go hide under a bed..........and everything in between. Current dog barks his head off which kind of sucks because we live in a neighborhood that is about 40% vacation rentals and you often get yahoo renters in the neighborhood who don't realize that 60% of the people around them aren't on vacation.
Hope your grom is sewing his oats in all the summer rentals daughters! To be a teen in a beach community full of summer rentals again…

• Haha
Reactions: averagejoe and PJ

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I hear ya. I’ve found peanut butter to work the best. Some will still spit that out.

- the answer is to either

1 place at the back of their throat n gently hold their mouth closed until you see them swallow. Super easy to do, but not everyone wants to do that.

2 get one of these, they work well, including for cats. It’s what vets use

We coat the pill in butter or mayonnaise then shove it back there. Slides right down.