Firewire cancels FCS

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Google say minimum wage in Taiwan is $6/hr. so if my maths is good a fin box router could make at least about 48 bucks a day, and with the cost of living being about half that of the US, comparatively it ultimately comes out to about $100 a day minimum. Better money that an American tour guide can make perhaps, before tips anyway.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
People on here complain that their boards are made overseas. Nobody has mentioned anything about how FCS boxes are made in China. FireWire has chosen to go with a fin box company that is based here in California. That means they are putting dollars back into the local economy. Even a small percentage should count for something. Not to mention all the other major board manufacturers that have boards made overseas as well (CI, Hayden, Lost, etc.).

I think the biggest advantage is the boxes don’t have to be adjusted for cant. I didn’t know that cant was built into the fin box for FCS. That would eliminate a huge process of aligning all the fin boxes during production. If futures don’t have any cant you can simply blow and go, and cut that whole process out and streamline the boards and get them finished quicker.

I think switching to futures also helps futures company as a whole. And since they are a local California company, it’s going to improve their sales which means, an argument could be made that this move also benefits local economies and local businesses.

Lots of people on here are all about supporting local businesses, (and I am too) — well this move does just that. It’s no secret I love Firewire Surfboards and their company. But, aside from that, this is a very smart business decision and like I said helps the local economy.

Jun 14, 2019
I think the biggest advantage is the boxes don’t have to be adjusted for cant. I didn’t know that cant was built into the fin box for FCS. That would eliminate a huge process of aligning all the fin boxes during production. If futures don’t have any cant you can simply blow and go, and cut that whole process out and streamline the boards and get them finished quicker.
Blow and go might work well with a Griffin bottom. I wasn't aware that Firewire was moving to all flat bottoms...

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
People on here complain that their boards are made overseas. Nobody has mentioned anything about how FCS boxes are made in China. FireWire has chosen to go with a fin box company that is based here in California. That means they are putting dollars back into the local economy. Even a small percentage should count for something. Not to mention all the other major board manufacturers that have boards made overseas as well (CI, Hayden, Lost, etc.).

I think switching to futures also helps futures company as a whole. And since they are a local California company, it’s going to improve their sales which means, an argument could be made that this move also benefits local economies and local businesses.

Lots of people on here are all about supporting local businesses, (and I am too) — well this move does just that. It’s no secret I love Firewire Surfboards and their company. But, aside from that, this is a very smart business decision and like I said helps the local economy.
I am not complaining about overseas build because almost everything I wear or use is made in china:drowning: What I am complaining about is the price for the quality of build which me personally would take my chance "42 years" with pu/pe even ultra light from channel islands or even lost before I would pay a little more for turd tech that does nothing for the design or durabality of my board. If I was looking to improve my pu/pe board I invested in cft and dft and know as a fact I could trust varial and xtr as well all same price or cheaper then fireturd tech and if it means any thing to you made in the us of a....@ReForest I get it if you love tomo bords so much and only can get fireturd tech now:bricks: but still never answered my question if you had a choice between fireturd and xtr or even varial what would you chose?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I am not complaining about overseas build because almost everything I wear or use is made in china:drowning: What I am complaining about is the price for the quality of build which me personally would take my chance "42 years" with pu/pe even ultra light from channel islands or even lost before I would pay a little more for turd tech that does nothing for the design or durabality of my board. If I was looking to improve my pu/pe board I invested in cft and dft and know as a fact I could trust varial and xtr as well all same price or cheaper then fireturd tech and if it means any thing to you made in the us of a....@ReForest I get it if you love tomo bords so much and only can get fireturd tech now:bricks: but still never answered my question if you had a choice between fireturd and xtr or even varial what would you chose?
I would probably still choose firewire. The durability is a big factor for me, and they seem to say whiter longer than a PU or Epoxy. I think the deckskins provide more protection from the sun. So in summary, Firewire tech is more durable, last longer, and stay whiter longer. Good resale value too. 2nd runner up is the Tomo Tech, which is basically a pretty standard stringerless epoxy.

If Tomo made boards in Dark Arts, it would increase durability, and performance, and you wouldnt need to worry about yellowing - so that would be a good comparison to firewire tech.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would probably still choose firewire. The durability is a big factor for me, and they seem to say whiter longer than a PU or Epoxy. I think the deckskins provide more protection from the sun. So in summary, Firewire tech is more durable, last longer, and stay whiter longer. Good resale value too. 2nd runner up is the Tomo Tech, which is basically a pretty standard stringerless epoxy.

If Tomo made boards in Dark Arts, it would increase durability, and performance, and you wouldnt need to worry about yellowing - so that would be a good comparison to firewire tech.
@ReForest did you ever have a xtr tomo to compare to fireturd tech:shrug:Still money wise and durability put fireturd tech up with CI spinetech and what ever lost calls it not worth the price but a least you have a choice and still go pu/pe for the win if you want a certain model or make:foreheadslap: dark arts to me sounds intetesting but not convinced for flex ratio compared to other but yes durability looks good but same can be said about surftech which I would never use as well.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
PU would be interesting. I think Poly is a little stiff, but if you could get a PU blank with Epoxy resin, that might be cool?
XTR is great, but it yellow's so fast. Also, i've had a couple XTR boards come out very corky. Almost like they are too light weight? They dont sit in the water the way a firewire board does. I have just found consistency with Firewire and the durability factor is a big one. Its nice to chuck a board in the car and not have to treat it like a glass slipper. But XTR is a great tech and so it Tomo tech. Varial and Dark Arts are next on my list.

Reactions: JDJ

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
PU would be interesting. I think Poly is a little stiff, but if you could get a PU blank with Epoxy resin, that might be cool?
XTR is great, but it yellow's so fast. Also, i've had a couple XTR boards come out very corky. Almost like they are too light weight? They dont sit in the water the way a firewire board does. I have just found consistency with Firewire and the durability factor is a big one. Its nice to chuck a board in the car and not have to treat it like a glass slipper. But XTR is a great tech and so it Tomo tech. Varial and Dark Arts are next on my list.
If you go pu/epoxy in my experience you do not gain/lose any flex because you can use any schedule glass you do with pe. What you do gain is durability and if you go S glass 6/4 6 or even 6/6 6 like on my mini log insures bullet proof glass job if done correct by person(s) who know epoxy. Eps/epoxy boards with simple one color stay bright and never go brown if you care but even my cft clear boards last a least 7 years before browning occurs:waving: good glass shop is worth gold if tou care about durabality:cheers:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Nobody ever really talks about it (or at least not from what i've read on here) but a couple of the guys at XTR said that even though a board is fully cured and rideable when you pick it up... he said that letting the board sit for an extra month or so really helps the epoxy harden and will add substantially to the longevity of the board. I think that is an interesting fact that gets overlooked to some degree.

Reactions: JDJ

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Nobody ever really talks about it (or at least not from what i've read on here) but a couple of the guys at XTR said that even though a board is fully cured and rideable when you pick it up... he said that letting the board sit for an extra month or so really helps the epoxy harden and will add substantially to the longevity of the board. I think that is an interesting fact that gets overlooked to some degree.
I think the bake method stretch uses seems to be best and board is ready to surf when picked up no bs and like I said bullet proof no browning for 7 years :cheers:
Each board is heat cured to 135ºF to assure optimum structural integrity.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I am complaining about is the price for the quality of build which me personally would take my chance "42 years" with pu/pe even ultra light from channel islands or even lost before I would pay a little more for turd tech that does nothing for the design or durabality of my board.
Your choice but the facts are wrong, if that matters at all to the brand fashion police. For example, I have a Mid6 that costs $1k, and the closest equivalent CI in PU is the CI Mid which is priced at $1155. Add another hundred or two for channels and fin boxes. The Mid6 has Thunderbolt construction, which is light and strong with good flex, and has a coating so it won't yellow. It's relatively bulletproof compared to CI ultra light construction.

There is no comparison in performance, price, or durability. With CI you're paying extra for the brand name.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Futures has the advantage because the cant is in the fins (mostly). FCS has the advantage because some of Futures fins have absurd amounts of cant, like the AMTs.

FCS2 would also be a better option for boxes if the consumer was not forced to buy overpriced FCS made fins. There are a lot more options for Futures compatible fins.

Last edited: