Fires in Maui

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I read this story somewhere else and the other source said the dog belonged to the person who passed away.

Either way, horrible story and I'm sure there will be so many similar ones coming out in the next few weeks.

Reactions: john4surf

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I read that less than 1% of Hawaiian wildfires are started naturally. (lightning/volcanic) I don't know if that is true or not.

Lahaina residents worry a rebuilt Maui town could slip into the hands of affluent outsiders | AP News

They can call it Oprah's Village. Maybe Zucker Town? Or perhaps something with a Saudi Arabian feel?
It was peeps smoking some dope. JK

One has to ask, how many of the burnt houses could not be build today due to code violations?

I live in a two-story home in a "Very High Fire Risk" zone in Encinitas, west of the 5. Due to my driveway height above the road, I would not be allowed to rebuild as is.

Bigger question, how will this affect crowds at Honolua Bay?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
2200 structures destroyed. Not sure how many of these are homes.

I wonder how far the $100m from Bezos will go to rebuild. I would think they could rebuild many homes with that money. Maybe Zuck or someone else can add another $100m.

Reactions: Boneroni

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
my daughter attended sacred hearts in lahina and i always loved maui and its 2nd world preserved vibe (compliment) now with the destruction that vibe most likely will never repeat itself - too much money to be made now

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
After?

Sheesh.
I would think the time to shut down unethical outside developers is before they do more damage. As opposed to after? But then I’m pro information and anti censorship. Apparently NBC agrees.

The gas siphoning thing is probably largely a survival thing. Desperate people. Can’t fault some of that. The big issue is scumbags trying to buy distressed land from desperate/vulnerable people at a deep discount. That’s worth stopping. ASAP.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I read that less than 1% of Hawaiian wildfires are started naturally. (lightning/volcanic) I don't know if that is true or not.

Lahaina residents worry a rebuilt Maui town could slip into the hands of affluent outsiders | AP News

They can call it Oprah's Village. Maybe Zucker Town? Or perhaps something with a Saudi Arabian feel?
The rebuild COULD be well done, but probably won't be.

It will be all concrete block construction, which most likely won't come close to recreating the original historical feel.

Sadly, all of that history is gone.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
More and more assertions of incompetence and culpability on the part of Maui County and State of Hawaii officials - and hundreds of people paid with their lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/14/the-guardian-view-on-hawaiis-lethal-wildfire-lessons-to-learn-from-a-catastrophe?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR004ajeFL_L8qYbas-U7WkxU84wsGtxxLgPwpETHyTvfxlptkv9VS0ox-E

For some perspective- Canadian wild fires are still burning - for months now.

This Maui inferno was a result of a combination of rare weather events and dry vegetation. Hard to see how much of what happened could have been prevented.

Monday morning quarterbacking is what the media does best.

Reactions: Iceman

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
For some perspective- Canadian wild fires are still burning - for months now.

This Maui inferno was a result of a combination of rare weather events and dry vegetation. Hard to see how much of what happened could have been prevented.

Monday morning quarterbacking is what the media does best.
This. If this were happening every year, there would have been a lot more safeguards in place. Even still, you can prevent some risk, but you can't stop every fire from happening, especially if it evolves under a series of "perfect" conditions.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
2200 structures destroyed. Not sure how many of these are homes.

I wonder how far the $100m from Bezos will go to rebuild. I would think they could rebuild many homes with that money. Maybe Zuck or someone else can add another $100m.
Ballpark half mil per rebuild, if they fastback permitting. Maybe less if they use package homes.

Every fire we've experienced, local contractors get instantly booked out a couple of years and all kinds of carpetbagger contractors come flooding in.

Reactions: Boneroni and r32

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
The last time we had wind this strong was 1992. It's not common.
I saw on the news last night that Hawaiian Energy" doesn't have the capability" to turn it off like they do in California! That is exactly what the rep said from HECO. WTF? I have lived on Kauai for quite some time and it is so obvious that wildfires are a possibility even here. Especially on the westside. These electric companies better learn real quickly how to turn the power off!!

• Wow
Reactions: Boneroni

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It's actually not insignificant to bring down a portion of the grid safely.

Furthermore, as PG&E is learning, when you do execute a PSPO (public safety power outage), people moan and bitch and raise hell and threaten to sue because th AC is out or their business got shut down or their mayo might go bad or whatever.

Reactions: Norm' and Clayster