Fires in Maui

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
sorry to hear about your old friend! so many tragic stories. My friend Dennis who brought me up to north county to work at the chart house he was managing was friends with Frank and brought him over to Ventura Chart from the Hungry Hunter back in the day, and then he headed over to Maui. Dennis heard he was trying to rescue a dog when he perished.
That all fits. Thanks for that. I did some time at the harbor working at the Scotch & Sirloin. Frank was the ultimate waiter. Conversant, charming, always put together. We used to tease him by calling him "fashion Frank." He was a killer with the ladies.

1691938258234.jpeg

Photo from my wedding. The guy on the left took his own life a few months ago. Frank is on the right. Eerie.

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
That all fits. Thanks for that. I did some time at the harbor working the Scotch & Sirloin.

View attachment 160412

Photo from my wedding. The guy on the left took his own life a few months ago. Frank is on the right. Eerie.
Brah, I’m no expert on emotional stability but go for a surf. Even if it’s small just get in the water. The ocean is so healing.

At my regular it seems like we’re losing an older surfer every few weeks, and young ones like Mikala. Just sharing the lineup with familiar faces doing something our lost friends loved lessens the toll.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
My friend had the presence of mine to swim out to a mooring bouy cuz the smoke was thick by shore. She spent the night holding onto it with her cats on her shoulder before swimming in at dawn. People less confident about the ocean tried to stay right by shore or even on the jetty and died from the smoke.
Damn!!!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That all fits. Thanks for that. I did some time at the harbor working at the Scotch & Sirloin. Frank was the ultimate waiter. Conversant, charming, always put together. We used to tease him by calling him "fashion Frank." He was a killer with the ladies.

View attachment 160412

Thinking of lost loved ones this song makes me feel better...and sad at the same time.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Come see me.
The way people are dying around me, that’s high bravery on your part.;)

I still need to simplify my life so I can leave. Hopefully this year. While I still have time…

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
If anyone is looking to donate to Maui relief, I just received this GoFundMe link from a high school friend on Maui. She and her family are ok, but her inlaws barely got out and have lost everything. This is a local community organization that will provide supplies and meals directly to the families who need it. I’m sure any bit helps. Mahalo.

Native Hawaiian Philanthropy

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Brah, I’m no expert on emotional stability but go for a surf. Even if it’s small just get in the water. The ocean is so healing.

At my regular it seems like we’re losing an older surfer every few weeks, and young ones like Mikala. Just sharing the lineup with familiar faces doing something our lost friends loved lessens the toll.
Maybe tomorrow. When the weekend/county fair goes away.

Interesting how the media coverage seems to be scrupulously avoiding the cause/ignition of the fires. Lightning? High winds/power lines?

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
How the Maui wildfires devastated Lahaina, hour by hour
In a visual timeline, survivors recount how they were overwhelmed by the fire’s speed, smothering smoke and lack of escape routes.

This article from the Washington Post is very interesting.

A family up by Lahainaluna high school were fleeing for their lives at 2:30 pm, however no sirens or widespread evacuation notices, except the cellphone notices (which I dont know when there were dispatched). Seems like things might have been different if someone activated the sirens. I'm not pointing fingers and I think the town was doomed since nothing could have stopped that fire, but maybe more people may have been saved????

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
How the Maui wildfires devastated Lahaina, hour by hour
In a visual timeline, survivors recount how they were overwhelmed by the fire’s speed, smothering smoke and lack of escape routes.

This article from the Washington Post is very interesting.

A family up by Lahainaluna high school were fleeing for their lives at 2:30 pm, however no sirens or widespread evacuation notices, except the cellphone notices (which I dont know when there were dispatched). Seems like things might have been different if someone activated the sirens. I'm not pointing fingers and I think the town was doomed since nothing could have stopped that fire, but maybe more people may have been saved????
I remember when the entire state of Hawaii got a cell phone notification about an incoming intercontinental ballistic missile but not this?

• Sad
Reactions: PRCD and JDJ

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
This entire situation is FUBAR.

For example, isn't Oahu a Naval Base?

I was talking about this with my nephew, who was stationed in Okinawa as a Marine, and he brought up a Phillipines hurricane where his unit and many more were dispatched and had a ship desalinizing water, a hospital ship and another generating power there within 36 hours, not to mention all the units upon units of boots on the ground just helping with everything. His question, seemingly completely legit to me was, "uncle 9'4", if we can do that for a foreign nation in need, why the heck aren't we seeing the same set up, or even greater, FOR OUR OWN COUNTRYMEN?".

He was fuming, I hadn't even thought of it.... was too busy freaking out over the dimensions of the tragedy, and the recent loss of our dog.

But it begs the question.... WTF is up with that?

Why aren't we seeing a similar response for the citizens of Maui?

Reactions: waxfoot

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
You employ Firemen and Police. Are you asking them to put their lives on the line everytime? For a dog. Or another person. When they may have a family at home? Should we not hire them unless they are willing to die? There are Firemen and Police that just give up. Just like regular folks. There are Fireman and Police that despite training...put their lives on the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlicedFeet

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The logistics of a major disaster fire recovery effort are phenomenally complicated. Local government agencies should be always training on the coordination of efforts all the time, I assume Maui County did this, they all do. Just to be able to support a couple thousand relief workers is a humongous undertaking, I've seen what a massive operation it is! Here on the mainland it comes in from all over CA, it's gotta be 10X more difficult and complicated on an island without that kind of capacity of its own.

Relief efforts not coordinated through the local disaster management folks, while well-meaning, can actually hamper larger-scale efforts geared to help the most people. They usually appreciate the help but want to know about it and want to be able to make sure distribution channels are working and so on. A classic example would be a sanitation company barging over 500 portable-potties, because sanitation in a disaster area us a huge thing, right? You bet! So how you gonna get 'em off your barge onto the docks? Were you gonna put 'em, and with what trucks and people are you gonna get 'em there? How you gonna know where they're most needed? What's the plan for servicing 'em? And so on. Not a problem if you work with local disaster relief coordinators, but big problem if you don't.

As for the military helping, I am positive the Navy is waiting to be called on to help, but they're not just gonna cruise over from Pearl on their own and show up and say, "OK, we're here. Whaddya want us to do?" The logistics support has to be in place. Glad to hear the NG is there providing (hopefully) trained distribution support and all-important security. Looters gonna loot, sadly.

Soon an army of FEMA people, insurance people, property owners, bankers, all kinds of various other suits, and (worst of all) lawyers, are gonna show up and really complicate things.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
The land-grab is already happening and the fires have not even been completely contained yet.

The greedy mofos just needed something to get the hens off the eggs.

Despite how dreamy it is, island life becomes a giant clusterfvck after sh!t hits the fan

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: $kully

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Stopping the car to help that woman for even 30 seconds probably would have been suicidal for those guys and therefore killed anybody who was stuck behind them trying to get out. They made the morally best choice, even though it will haunt them for the rest of their lives.
I'm actually surprised that their car was still going under those circumstances between the possibility of the engine choking out on the smoke and the possibility of losing a tire.