Fires in Maui

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
That all fits. Thanks for that. I did some time at the harbor working at the Scotch & Sirloin. Frank was the ultimate waiter. Conversant, charming, always put together. We used to tease him by calling him "fashion Frank." He was a killer with the ladies.

View attachment 160412

Photo from my wedding. The guy on the left took his own life a few months ago. Frank is on the right. Eerie.
I walked into the kitchen this am, poured a cup of coffee and turned around and Frank was on my TV. It was a GMA piece/tribute. See ya around Frankie.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Interesting how the media coverage seems to be scrupulously avoiding the cause/ignition of the fires. Lightning? High winds/power lines?
I read that less than 1% of Hawaiian wildfires are started naturally. (lightning/volcanic) I don't know if that is true or not.

Lahaina residents worry a rebuilt Maui town could slip into the hands of affluent outsiders | AP News

They can call it Oprah's Village. Maybe Zucker Town? Or perhaps something with a Saudi Arabian feel?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua2415

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Interesting how the media coverage seems to be scrupulously avoiding the cause/ignition of the fires.
You're not looking very hard. Read multiple articles from major news that specifically talk about the cause. They interviewed fire chief or whomever is in charge of stuff over there and articles all say same thing "We don't know what caused it."

And it just happened. Sometimes finding cause of fire can take a lot more time through investigation. I'm sure focus right now is not on cause but on helping those in need.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
You're not looking very hard. Read multiple articles from major news that specifically talk about the cause. They interviewed fire chief or whomever is in charge of stuff over there and articles all say same thing "We don't know what caused it."

And it just happened. Sometimes finding cause of fire can take a lot more time through investigation. I'm sure focus right now is not on cause but on helping those in need.
No, I've actually done a number of searches. And yes, the only thing I found was a lot of silence or "We don't know what caused it."

I get that it takes time. Thank you Captain Obvious!

Reactions: Joshua2415

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
No, I've actually done a number of searches. And yes, the only thing I found was a lot of silence or "We don't know what caused it."

I get that it takes time. Thank you Captain Obvious!
First you say "media coverage seems to be scrupulously avoiding the cause"

Then admit the articles you find say they don't know what caused it.

Basic logic not your strong suit. Good grief. :foreheadslap:

Reactions: waxfoot

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
First you say "media coverage seems to be scrupulously avoiding the cause"

Then admit the articles you find say they don't know what caused it.

Good grief. :foreheadslap:
Yes, media coverage on the subject seems to be lacking IMO. The few articles I found that mentioned it (two that I recall) said they have no idea how it started at this point. That was where I got the info re Hawaiian wildfires only being started by natural causes 1% of the time?

"Nearly 85 per cent of US wildfires are caused by humans, according to the US Forest Service. Natural causes include lightning and volcanic activity.
In Hawaii, less than 1 per cent of fires are due to natural causes, according to Elizabeth Pickett, co-executive director of the Hawaii Wildfire Management Organization. The Hawaiian Islands have six active volcanoes, including one on Maui."

Hawaii wildfires: What caused the deadly blazes and is climate change to blame? | Euronews

This isn't that difficult Mr. Logic

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Thank you for proving my point.

Post it on political forum if you'd like to continue this worthless conversation.

Reactions: Pico

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Do the energy companies on the Islands typically cut power during big storms or high wind events? Is that standard operating procedure?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Spark, fuel, and air. The fuel and air were already there. Spark most likely from a downed power line due to high winds. Which one doesn’t matter, they’re all toasted now. It’s the full weight of the law firms of interested parties against Maui Electric.

The end.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Sadly, that is likely inevitable. Doubt most resident's insurance would cover the cost to rebuild in the same location nowadays. Settlements probably depend on the cause of the fire as well?
The unfortunate reality is that time isn’t on the people’s side.

I worked with a producer who lost his ocean front vacation home to Hurricane Sandy. He was fortunate that it was only a vacation home so he wasn’t left unhoused with nothing but the clothes on his back. But it was an excrutiating long time before they were allowed in to begin cleaning up and salvaging anything that was salvageable. Then when it came time to making claims, getting paid and beginning demo and rebuilding it ended up being well over a year before things got rolling. The problem is that situations like this with mass disaster end up being a boon for contractors and lumber suppliers to the point where there’s a run on their availability and materials they need to rebuild which of course allows the big spenders who have cash on hand that don’t need to wait on settlements to move to the head of the pack.

I imagine because of the remoteness of the islands this will all be exacerbated. There will be a logjam of available contractors and lumber that will make it very difficult for these people to rebuild their lives in a timely manner. And that’s only after they get financial aide. I have a feeling that many people will take their checks and just walk away. Which is unfortunate but seems inevitable.

As far as class action settlements, those can take years.

Reactions: Norm' and oeste858

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I read that lawsuits have already been filed against the power company blaming them for causing the fire by not cutting power during a high wind and red flag fire risk warning.
I posted earlier in this thread that I had a feeling that this would happen. I have a family friend that was on the litigating team for the Paradise Fire class action suit that netted something like $13 billion from PG&E. In their case they had hundred year old power lines in wilderness areas where they failed to control vegetation. There is precedent. The only problem for the victims of this fire in Lahaina is that these class actions typically take years. They may get a nice check 3-5yrs down the line. But it does nothing to help their current situations.

Reactions: oeste858

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
This entire situation is FUBAR.

For example, isn't Oahu a Naval Base?

I was talking about this with my nephew, who was stationed in Okinawa as a Marine, and he brought up a Phillipines hurricane where his unit and many more were dispatched and had a ship desalinizing water, a hospital ship and another generating power there within 36 hours, not to mention all the units upon units of boots on the ground just helping with everything. His question, seemingly completely legit to me was, "uncle 9'4", if we can do that for a foreign nation in need, why the heck aren't we seeing the same set up, or even greater, FOR OUR OWN COUNTRYMEN?".

He was fuming, I hadn't even thought of it.... was too busy freaking out over the dimensions of the tragedy, and the recent loss of our dog.

But it begs the question.... WTF is up with that?

Why aren't we seeing a similar response for the citizens of Maui?
there is no Harbor on the west side ====okay there is the harbor but that and thethe boat ramp is a joke so it's just easier to use Kahului Harbor and fly everything into the airport stage it and move it out in convoys. I believe the lack of information coming out of the government and the state is like we're a little busy now =====get to you later