Fires in Maui

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
That list keeps getting longer. So much red on it. It's harrowing what people have gone through and are going through.
Just found out my friend's parents didn't make it out of the dense Lahaina Luna neighborhood. The elderly neighbor on one side of my house was basically dragged out at the last minute by my friend cuz he was gonna stay. The elderly couple on the other side of me said they were staying when my housemate evacuated a little early. I hope they changed their minds just after he left but if they waited half an hour they probably didn't make it. They are on the missing list and we've reported to the county our last interaction with them. They were like adoptive grand parents to me since I moved in:(

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
yeah they weren't just like "near the fire" or "escaping the fire" they were very much IN the fire, and "escaping" was still very much in question.
Stopping the car to help that woman for even 30 seconds probably would have been suicidal for those guys and therefore killed anybody who was stuck behind them trying to get out. They made the morally best choice, even though it will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I wonder if the car door handles were hot to the touch, or, maybe not the door handles, but i bet the windows were hot. you could see how much smoke was in the car, and hear them all struggling to breath...And good point, there was probably a whole line of cars trying to GTFO on that one road (I assume they were ON Front street?)

Hell I'll give them credit for even acknowledging the poor woman on the sidewalk. A lot of people in that same awful situation probably wouldn't even notice, let alone take the time to recognize and lament their powerlessness

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Stopping the car to help that woman for even 30 seconds probably would have been suicidal for those guys and therefore killed anybody who was stuck behind them trying to get out. They made the morally best choice, even though it will haunt them for the rest of their lives.
I have to agree completely. The woman in the street was not moving at all, so possibly dead already, and the heat would be so intense even in the car, you cant possibly force yourself out into the flames with no protection, you'd choke and burn. And then knowing you are in a traffic line trying to keep things moving for the good of everyone, and they were going over serious debris in the road, couldnt see, etc. Total nightmare.

Reactions: bruhdakine

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
They're gonna let people in.

A couple of days after the Painted Cave fire they let people in and I rode my bike up to the fire area and saw all these people walking around in the knee-deep ashes that used to be their homes, occasionally bending over to pick up something, lots of them crying. It was one of the saddest spectacles. Sad, broken people, wondering what to do next. Really rough. Peace and love to Lahaina.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
They're gonna let people in.

A couple of days after the Painted Cave fire they let people in and I rode my bike up to the fire area and saw all these people walking around in the knee-deep ashes that used to be their homes, occasionally bending over to pick up something, lots of them crying. It was one of the saddest spectacles. Sad, broken people, wondering what to do next. Really rough. Peace and love to Lahaina.

That's the crazy part. After hurricanes and tornadoes people who lost homes and businesses can often still pick through the rubble to recover odds and ends, sometimes meaningful heirlooms or even living pets left behind in a hurry to flee. But this wreckage looks like there's gonna be very little of that. Looks like everything was incinerated.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My sisters friend is a firefighter with MFD and his crew was battling the fire outside of Lahaina. Winds were 70mph gusts and his crew got trapped. Ran out of air and had to demask. some of them got burnt pretty bad and are at Queens in Honolulu now. He was wondering why the sirens weren’t running while they were battling.

Said it was absolutely worst case scenario unfolding before them.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Mahalo Nui Loa those that preordered the HIC Maui Strong tshirts. The money will go to the right places. It’s personal for them.

Surfed with a buddy that’s a state firefighter. He said they all had their go bags and were ready to go help. People in charge have sent fire chiefs and captains to Maui but not ground firemen yet. I think the admin types are there to figure logistics before they bring in crew from the other islands. Kawika said his guys just want to go to pull shifts so the Maui guys can go see their families and get some rest.

The tragedy has affected everyone I know. They either have family or friends on Maui or just want to help.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Wow. I know he’s a gajillionaire but 100 million is no joke even for a guy that rich. Not that he will miss his car payments this month, but, legit nonetheless
It's estimated Bezos makes roughly $26m per day.

Assuming an 8 hour work day, that's $3.25m every hour.

So he donated about a 4 days of salary. A nice gesture for sure.