Fires in Maui

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That’s a tough one. It’s easy to play armchair quarterback and think we’d all be the hero in that situation while watching from the safety of our computers but the immediate danger they were in driving through those flames, seconds matter. Personally I’m not sure I’d share the video if it was me cause it is kind of a bad look. Prob hard enough to live with the fact that you left someone behind, but why share it with the world?
I know, but that is how I felt. I met one guy who did a heroic deed and he denied it, saying "It was just common human decency." It did not seem like they would have been risking thier life any more than it was already at risk just sitting in the car. I could be wrong. It could have been 200 degrees outside the car.

But yeah, no one knows how they will react in a dire emergency, except first responders who are facing life and death on a regular basis. My hats off the all working on the front lines...

Scenes of Lahaina remind me of Hiroshima.

I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Reactions: waxfoot and $kully

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Can't help but feel rage at the guys who drove past the woman, but we don't know the full context and what I would have done in that situation :(
I can guarantee that those guys in the video would not be able to see or breath if they stopped and exited. Sometimes you just have to accept reality and get to safety.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I fixed a starter on his van when he lived at 1389
The beat up white Ford? Rode in it many times. Spent many nights at 1389 back in the early aughts. Tim's a bonafide Hindu swami now. Told me he pretty much just had to accept that his place - and business were gone in the fire -- disattachment from the material. Then he found out his condo is still standing. I told him I reckon it's gonna be a crash pad for a lot of people in the coming months. I just still can't believe it. And I'm all the way over on the east coast.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Lahaina Shores condos- and my buddy Tims place in it survived somehow. Small consolation View attachment 160250
Often in these things survivors don't feel consolation, they feel guilt. A lot of Lahainans are gonna feel this in the coming weeks and months.

My friend's house was the only one on his block that survived the Tea fire, he was wracked with guilt when it happened 15 years ago and still feels kind of bad to this day. I remind him that all the other houses on his street are now nice and new and his is the shittiest one on the block by far.

Reactions: Boneroni

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Stephen said the response to their Maui Strong benefit T-shirt has been overwhelming so thank you to anyone that bought one. Part of the money will go to the employees that lost everything and the rest to victim relief funds.
just bought one and will be shipped to my son that lives on Maui

Reactions: Subway and teeroi

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Death count at 53. Damn. RIP :(
I was talking about it with my neighbor and her son who used to live a block off front street tonight. 53 in the scope of a big city like LA or NYC is tragic but doesn’t seem like a lot. 53 in a town like Lahaina is astronomical and simply devastating. It’s the kinda tragedy where most people there will have known someone who died through some degree of separation. Nevermind the overwhelming loss of property and possessions. I hope to hell the community there somehow comes out of this stronger.

• Sad
Reactions: bruhdakine and r32

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
To lose Lahaina is an extreme blow to the islands.
I might be biased but I've always felt like Lahaina is the heart and soul of Hawaii. After all, it was the royal capital. Just such an authentic and fun place to live. I'll miss all the crazy characters around Front St and the harbor that I'd see every day as I rode my bike around doing errands or going surfing. It'll never be the same so it's an end of a very long era.

• Sad
Reactions: mundus and Boneroni

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Did the surf boutique shop Going Left make it?

https://www.goinleft.com/ I miss that shop they have some great stuff...
She's a very close friend and I just got off the phone with her. The shop is leveled. She drove through town and sent us a bunch of photos of our neighborhood. She lives a bit farther up the West Side so she's helping with the flow of supplies over from Central Maui.

Reactions: Pico

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
The beat up white Ford? Rode in it many times. Spent many nights at 1389 back in the early aughts. Tim's a bonafide Hindu swami now. Told me he pretty much just had to accept that his place - and business were gone in the fire -- disattachment from the material. Then he found out his condo is still standing. I told him I reckon it's gonna be a crash pad for a lot of people in the coming months. I just still can't believe it. And I'm all the way over on the east coast.
IMG_7982.jpeg

Reactions: oneworlded

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
^Those are the funky shitholes that were so fun to live in as a freewheeling 20something. The falling apart, open air living situations just gave life a feeling that nothing had to be serious. You can't have the same vibe living in a modern climate controlled house. I hope I never forget what it was like living in old Lahaina.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Can someone post me the best link for helping out. I see several online but don't know which one to trust.