Fires in Maui

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Does Hawaii have limited resources when it comes to first responders?
The state is actually incredibly rural. Maui's biggest town is like 25,000 people? It's a small, rural chain of islands out in the middle of the Pacific. There aren't the resources to react quickly to mass casualty events or natural disasters unless the military gets called in.

I read somewhere that there's like 100 total wildland firefighters across the state, who all have day jobs. Historically that's probably been a reasonable number, it's not like Hawaii is commonly associated with big fires.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Just two days ago I was reading how the fire was like three acres or something thought "what's the big deal?". This is fucked
i remember driving by a little less than 1 acre brush fire in costal norcal. helicopter working it and 3 calfire engines just chillin. having served on local vfd in norcal for a couple decades i'm thinking no worries. they are on this and head on my way. 6 hrs later shithashitthefan and they are evacuating the area.

wtf? they had it.

heard later another fire took priority and resources got pulled and werent available when the wind switched. took a week to get under control.

coastal winds play havoc with fire

thoughts and prayers

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Holy sh!t that's crazy. Hope they can contain that fire ASAP - horrible for all the people that lost their homes, not a place you would expect that kind of catastrophe to happen. Hope everyone can also evacuate safely - that's nuts having to escape into the ocean! :(
With winds like that, the only thing that can contain a fire like that is The Great Pacific Firebreak. Agreed on all the rest, so sad for so many people. My buddy just sent me this text: Yes, I"m fine Lahaina is gone Rubble Body count going up Surreal Raw Life F*ck Take nothing for granted.

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
So sorry for those affected. My wife and I were supposed to be staying in Ka'anapali 8/23-8/27 at Honua Kai for our honeymoon and spent today rearranging plans (looking like Oahu for the whole week). Was looking forward to walking down front st in Lahaina, surfing the harbor/ship channel, checking out the banyan tree, etc. Literally made reservations for Fleetwood's and Star Noodle yesterday. Just at a loss for words for what they're going through after seeing the images this morning/throughout the day.

EDIT to add: Is there any good source of info to monitor for supplies Maui may need in the next couple of weeks? Thinking of bringing an extra bag filled with supplies and dropping it off during our currently scheduled Maui to Honolulu layover on 8/23.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am sure many of us on this bb have lived through devastating wildfires, maybe evacuated, or even lost homes. It is so surreal, words can't really express the intensity of the swirling ball of emotions, disbelief, and helplessness one experiences. Even for those who don't lose their homes, life is a whirlwind of insanity for a while. My heart goes out to the people of Lahaina.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Everyone will come through for everyone on this one, guaranteed. Much Aloha. :shaka:

1691642909787.png
1691642804369.png

1691642877154.png

1691642899759.png

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Holy Jesus.

Is the world coming to an end slowly?

This is unbelievable, cannot even process what those poor people affected by this went through.

Does anyone know if @PPK96754 is OK? Please post up and let us know asap.

Praying for all those involved. I know how hard this is as we get wildfires in the Canaries every summer lately it seems, but they rarely hit such populated areas.

Is there a reliable link to donate funds?

:eek:

Reactions: buttholesurfer

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
http://instagr.am/p/CvwA8SprDLc/

HIC is doing a fundraiser for the people affected by the fires. The above link is for a Maui Strong t-shirt. 100% of proceeds will go to help. They are also offering 30% off clothing to the people of Maui, knowing some have lost everything. Before anyone thinks they are trying to make sales off the tragedy HIC has lost two stores in Lahaina to the fire. The president of the company Leigh Tonai is from Maui.