Fires in Maui

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Sorry to hear this....Please tell us Taj and Joy are ok?....
Joy & I are in the middle of Colorado MTB season. Taj went to the dog park in the sky at the age of 13 2/3 a few yeara ago. Everyone in our neighborhood (some elderly neighbors) evacuated safely but didn't have time to take much. Housemate couple is 9 months preggers so not allowed to fly, gotta stay on island. Most people that can are trying to go Mainland for a while cuz there's no homes, jobs, stores. No reason to be in Lahaina for a few years. We might rent on the NS or might do something else for the next few winters. Been 19 years of winters in Lahaina but all things change...

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I wish I could go help out.
If this was the Mainland I guess reconstruction could start soon but on an island I figure there's not enough materials and skilled labor to rebuild everything for several years. I'll invest the insurance money, live on the other side of the island for a couple years, and see how things are taking shape before I decide what to build on the lot. There were a lot of big trees on our lot and in the neighborhood. Now it's just a dusty desert and that doesn't sound like a place I want to live. The wave in front is gonna be uncrowded for the next few south swells though.

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
My heart is broken right now. My friend has people she knows who lost 10 houses in Lahaina , and of yesterday 10 were unaccounted for. To lose Lahaina is an extreme blow to the islands. My son and his wife are in Wailea on their honeymoon after getting married in Hanalei last weekend and are quite shaken, but they are fortunate to not have been evacuated and still have power and water at the Grand Wailea.

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
If this was the Mainland I guess reconstruction could start soon but on an island I figure there's not enough materials and skilled labor to rebuild everything for several years. I'll invest the insurance money, live on the other side of the island for a couple years, and see how things are taking shape before I decide what to build on the lot. There were a lot of big trees on our lot and in the neighborhood. Now it's just a dusty desert and that doesn't sound like a place I want to live. The wave in front is gonna be uncrowded for the next few south swells though.
Who wants to live in a burnt out fire pit. They should just get a line of loaders like snow groomers and just do a grid pattern from Cannery to Pua Mana. It will never be the same. The history is gone with the exceptions of the Prison and the Courthouse walls which can be rebuilt. Im sure developers are looking at it salivating. The old charm is dead. New building codes dont allow you to build old buildings. It will look like the Stucco plazas in Paia. Maybe a Waikiki Royal Hawaiian 3 level super mall from Longhis to Lahainaluna. Gotta be glad you experienced Lahainas old plantation days charm. Its gone forever

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
My heart is broken right now. My friend has people she knows who lost 10 houses in Lahaina , and of yesterday 10 were unaccounted for as. To lose Lahaina is an extreme blow to the islands. My son and his wife are in Wailea on their honeymoon after getting married in Hanalei last weekend and are quite shaken, but they are fortunate to not have been evacuated and still have power and water at the Grand Wailea.
Wailea is a good place to be right now I imagine

Reactions: hklocal

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
So sorry for those affected. My wife and I were supposed to be staying in Ka'anapali 8/23-8/27 at Honua Kai for our honeymoon and spent today rearranging plans (looking like Oahu for the whole week). Was looking forward to walking down front st in Lahaina, surfing the harbor/ship channel, checking out the banyan tree, etc. Literally made reservations for Fleetwood's and Star Noodle yesterday. Just at a loss for words for what they're going through after seeing the images this morning/throughout the day.

EDIT to add: Is there any good source of info to monitor for supplies Maui may need in the next couple of weeks? Thinking of bringing an extra bag filled with supplies and dropping it off during our currently scheduled Maui to Honolulu layover on 8/23.
Don’t go to Maui right now, especially if you were staying in Kaanapali. Just don’t go.

Reactions: hammies

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Lived in Lahaina summer of '01. I can't get my head around this.
Looks like Lahaina Shores somehow didn't burn down. Everything else - jeezus. Living here in Charleston, it'd be like losing the lower peninsula. Just incomprehensible.

Reactions: john4surf

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Does anyone know of anyone organizing a supply drop from Los Angeles? I’m not really in a position to donate money right now but I do have hard and soft goods like camping and kitchen supplies and shoes, clothes, blankets and linens I’d like to contribute.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2014
Holy Jesus.

Is the world coming to an end slowly?

This is unbelievable, cannot even process what those poor people affected by this went through.

Does anyone know if @PPK96754 is OK? Please post up and let us know asap.

Praying for all those involved. I know how hard this is as we get wildfires in the Canaries every summer lately it seems, but they rarely hit such populated areas.

Is there a reliable link to donate funds?

:eek:
Ditto, anyone heard from PPK?

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD