Fires in Maui

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
USAR / FEMA folks got their boots on the ground. I’ve seen no mention of Who is checking the ocean. Stories of people treading water for 5 hours just off shore of Front Street brings me to think of some folks not able to tread water for that period could have / may have succumbed to cold water, sucking on debris related air to stay afloat and just didn’t have the strength to keep treading water and drowned. And IF, that might be so, are these folks fish food by now or just laying on the bottom waiting to be

Maui PD? Maui Fire Dept? Coast Guard? FBI?
What agencies would be designated to do the search?
Hope there’s no big rain yet. Maui has been under drought conditions for so long, part of the tinder box problem. If rain happens the wash off will add to the tragedy.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
There’s been so much depressing stories coming out of this tragedy. Lots of anger and finger pointing. Here’s a story I heard that shows the giving side of human nature.

Les one of the dawn patrol crew told me he went to help at a golf club in Pearl City that was a donation center. He said a family of 9 showed up in a rented Uhaul van. Mom and dad sent the 7 kids out thru their neighborhood to trick or treat for clothes, blankets, canned goods. After they unloaded the clothes and blankets from the back half of the van Les said there was cases and cases of water, spam, Vienna sausages in the front half. He asked where they got that from. Dad told him they rented the van went to Costco and bought much as they could fit into the front part of the van then loaded the community clothes in the back. All this with 7 kids.

Horrible situation there, particularly with the loss of life being so high.

We're dealing with fires here also, but fortunately few losses of life other than firefighters.

Here's four minutes of update from here.

B.C. wildfires tear through homes and communities across province - YouTube

Here's what I saw night before last from the Tyee Spit.
This is off to the west of us.
View attachment 160914

Really got smokey in town here yesterday and still a bit so.

Crazy year for wildfires all over.

Take care.
P1050404.jpeg
Last night at the Blaine border…

• Wow
Reactions: Hump

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
USAR / FEMA folks got their boots on the ground. I’ve seen no mention of Who is checking the ocean. Stories of people treading water for 5 hours just off shore of Front Street brings me to think of some folks not able to tread water for that period could have / may have succumbed to cold water, sucking on debris related air to stay afloat and just didn’t have the strength to keep treading water and drowned. And IF, that might be so, are these folks fish food by now or just laying on the bottom waiting to be

Maui PD? Maui Fire Dept? Coast Guard? FBI?
What agencies would be designated to do the search?
Shoreline could be DLNR. Ive heard reports of bodies being pulled from the ocean. Rumors still.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
So I just got off the phone with my FIL, told him we were going to Hawaii in a couple weeks to see the kid. He asked unjokingly if we were going to Lahaina. I explained to him that no tourists should be going to that part of Maui for at least a year and the kid lives on another island, anyway. Clueless.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So I just got off the phone with my FIL, told him we were going to Hawaii in a couple weeks to see the kid. He asked unjokingly if we were going to Lahaina. I explained to him that no tourists should be going to that part of Maui for at least a year and the kid lives on another island, anyway. Clueless.
Most people i know don't have a clue as to the level of devastation over there. And it's far away. And for those who have never been to Hawai'i, most couldn't name one island. So the event probably became a quick afterthought for most.

Reactions: SirKooksALot

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Theres the story about this one old timer. He is known to probably have the largest collection of ivory in the world. He actually used to cut the tusks himself in Afrika in the 50's. But dont leave it at that. Coins,flags, Whatnots this guy was nuts collectables. Perhaps 10 million just in crap. I mean collectables. He was basically dragged out of his house in a tshirt where he had lived forever up in Wahikuli before poof! Up in smoke. Same with his store downtown. Gone with the wind. . Now you might think well, sh!t...he deserved it. I can tell you other stories that will rip your heart out that have not become news yet but its gonna get get real sad...its gonna hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: Hump

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Safe deposit boxes. Store safes. there are guys that are working that angle, good and bad...with access.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Many are lawyering up getting ready to sue County and State. Its gonna get nutz. Developers are already making Shibai offers to "Help" (themselves) to the State and County bypassing the permit system. Dunno if anybody saw Archie Kalepa's plea and report on this matter.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
yep. Lots of options to donate. If HIC gave their $30k for blanks to a charity they’d still be able to write that off. Instead they do what they do sell merch with a mark up. They turned $30k into a $100k donation using their place in the niche market they cater to.

If you have a vetted operation that is doing something for Lahaina please post up links. That would be much appreciated.

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/news-and-events/news/2023/red-cross-helps-as-wildfires-burn.html

https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/strengthening/maui-strong-fund

Reactions: teeroi

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
The fact is - the Maui land grab that is likely taking place right now, is a game for multi-millionaires and billionaires. No one is a player at less than USD $10 million to spend. Working-class locals of any ethnicity will be largely ignored.

With the entire town reduced to ashes, it's a clean slate to rebuild.

No matter what anyone says, including Hawaiian activists, there is no special dispensation or consideration under Hawaii state law nor under the laws of the United States of America where ethnicity is a factor in who can own land or property in Hawaii or anywhere else in the US.

Hawaii isn't Fiji, where ethnicity is everything when it comes to land ownership and only ethnic Fijians can own land.

In Hawaii, persons of any ethnic background can own land and/or property on the land - and in the case of the Lahaina rebuild, that is going to be rich haole from the mainland - or even richer Asians or Middle Eastern interests.

How much attention they pay to locals demanding a say in the rebuilding process is up to them. They can ignore these voices entirely if they choose to do so and Governor Green's thuggish threats against speculators are only posturing - he has no authority in land transactions.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2023/08/lahaina-community-is-asking-for-full-participation-in-rebuilding-town/

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Anybody talking about the fires being set deliberately by the three-comma class?

Reactions: PRCD

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Concerning the whole property angle for a moment......

So in desirable areas, the land is pretty much always worth more than the structure. Basically, the more the land is worth, the more likely is has already been sold to big money a while back.

With that understanding, does anyone know the average monetary value ratio of land to structure for an average home?

For example, when I bought my goat shed in San Francisco, the land was worth $160K, the structure worth $140K, or 1 to .875 (figures slightly rounded for clarity).

So, basically, Lahaina = New Honolulu?

:sick::barf:

I'm gonna speculate that will not be possible due to infrastructure requirements. Easier to imagine a "new and improved Lanai City" for the well off.

Last edited:
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Someone needs to answer to all of this.

How can this type of thing happen in 2023. It's horrible and should have been preventable.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Been staying off this thread cause it can get depressing.

Went to movie night at HIC Kailua last night. The first run of Maui Strong tees have come back from the printers and should be shipping now.

HIC plans to ask for surfboar donations next. They plan on collecting boars to send over. The thought is getting in the ocean and going for a surf can help with healing but for surfers who lost everything they don’t have boars.

The details aren’t set but I’ll give you guys a heads up when they are. Mostly for Oahu people. Although HIC has shops on the Big Island too.
Check out what Jud Lau (@judlausurfboards) is doing on instagram (Surfboard Replacement Project). He's actively trying to connect surfers who lost everything with boards that match (somewhat) what they had before. Maybe you guys can collaborate.

Reactions: teeroi and Mr Doof

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Check out what Jud Lau (@judlausurfboards) is doing on instagram (Surfboard Replacement Project). He's actively trying to connect surfers who lost everything with boards that match (somewhat) what they had before. Maybe you guys can collaborate.
Nice. I’ll pass this onto the guys at HIC. I haven’t heard the details yet. I asked Uncle Stephen if I could bring in old boars to sell and he told me about their plans to collect boars for Lahaina. Told him they can have a couple of mine. I’ll post details when I know more.

Reactions: bruhdakine

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I’m starting to see backlash and/or dissenting posts on the socials about the “do not visit Maui right now!” Like a lot of businesses in other parts of the island are freaking out about a months-long tourism drought. Saying things like “you can visit Maui without hampering the recovery in Lahaina. The island still needs money! Tourism dollars are the only dollars”

not taking a position in the matter I have no clue what the reality on the ground is.
There is a Maui camper truck company I follow on socials that is advertising for people to come. I know those camper trucks aren't universally liked by the locals to begin with and can imagine they wouldn't be welcomed with open arms now.