Fires in Maui

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I was up for a liquor commissioner job once and made it to the final 6 applicants. I knew a couple of the other guys. We had to go through a public and private interview with the council and sure as sh!t it was just going through the motions. They knew who they were gonna hire. Not some fcuking dumb luck haole who knew how to take a test. They showed disdain. Patronage. Waste of my time. .

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Instead of donating for a t-shirt, how about giving a charity all of your $20 bill? Yeah, donating something is better than not but why buy an unneeded $5 shirt and then pay for postage when all that money could go to food and water and shelter?
both

Also- the shirts do double duty as PSA. I like to think when my sister and her family wear their shirts around the suburbs of Dallas it may encourage people who would otherwise not donate. Maybe.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Whether you agree with aid to Ukraine or not, comparing the two situations is a false equivalency.

What the U.S. and our NATO allies are trying to accomplish in Ukraine is stop and deter a very real Russian threat of invasion, oppression and brutality in Europe that could affect hundreds of millions of people. Forty million people in Ukraine HAVE been affected by Russian aggression, and our NATO allies are understandably very concerned. This is nothing new; we and our allies have spent trillions of dollars since WWII to confront and contain the Russians.

While I certainly agree that the U.S should give Maui the help it needs, undoubtedly FEMA will follow its usual protocols and help Maui just as it does the rest of the country when disasters occur. Hurricanes slam into the U.S. annually affecting millions of citizens and flooding and destroying their homes. As horrible and tragic as the Lahaina fires were, the number of people affected by them is, fortunately, very small in comparison. FEMA isn't perfect, but literally tens of millions of Americans have had to deal with that over the years.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Instead of donating for a t-shirt, how about giving a charity all of your $20 bill? Yeah, donating something is better than not but why buy an unneeded $5 shirt and then pay for postage when all that money could go to food and water and shelter?
The entire proceeds from the HIC tshirt is going to victim relief. HIC is eating the cost of the blanks, printing and shipping. They have sold over 3000 and raised $100,000. A drop in the bucket for what’s needed but they are doing something. People who bought one get a t-shirt for their $30 from a company that has people in Lahaina who are going to get a portion of the money. The rest is going to other charities.

Update on the HIC stores in Lahaina. The store in the Cannery is still standing but inaccessible and the merch probably not salvageable. The other Lahaina store in the Mall is dust.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The shirts make a lot of profit that can be donated. One of the companies has already donated $75K. It's easier to get humans to drop some money on a shirt then it is for them to just hand over money.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The shirts make a lot of profit that can be donated. One of the companies has already donated $75K. It's easier to get humans to drop some money on a shirt then it is for them to just hand over money.
It’s a smart way to multiple an initial donation. If HIC donated the cost of the tee plus shipping their donation would be between $30,000-$40,000. Instead they used that money to make and ship the tees involved the surf community and are aiming for $150,000 plus.

It’s an easier way for the people donating. You get a tshirt from an established respected company, you donate to a worthy cause and you don’t have to worry your $30 is going to a scam.

Speaking of scams there’s accounts using this tragedy and images of the Maui Strong tees to solicit donations and get your credit card info. Buyer beware. The HIC Maui Strong tees are only available thru their website and IG and soon to be in the HIC stores.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
The entire proceeds from the HIC tshirt is going to victim relief. HIC is eating the cost of the blanks, printing and shipping. They have sold over 3000 and raised $100,000. A drop in the bucket for what’s needed but they are doing something. People who bought one get a t-shirt for their $30 from a company that has people in Lahaina who are going to get a portion of the money. The rest is going to other charities.

Update on the HIC stores in Lahaina. The store in the Cannery is still standing but inaccessible and the merch probably not salvageable. The other Lahaina store in the Mall is dust.
It is nice that people are getting something more than good feelings from donating and good to know the shop is taking care of their people first then giving to other charities. Good that there are donation options out there to fit all sizes, my deal is more T shirts in my closest isn't what giving means to me and it is ok to give money to non free shirt charities in hopes the $20 goes further. Someone somewhere is writing off those t shirt blanks for their taxes, so guess we're all donating twice which is good but part of the reason we have complex tax code

Reactions: Boneroni and teeroi

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
USAR / FEMA folks got their boots on the ground. I’ve seen no mention of Who is checking the ocean. Stories of people treading water for 5 hours just off shore of Front Street brings me to think of some folks not able to tread water for that period could have / may have succumbed to cold water, sucking on debris related air to stay afloat and just didn’t have the strength to keep treading water and drowned. And IF, that might be so, are these folks fish food by now or just laying on the bottom waiting to be

Maui PD? Maui Fire Dept? Coast Guard? FBI?
What agencies would be designated to do the search?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Boneroni and teeroi

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Horrible situation there, particularly with the loss of life being so high.

We're dealing with fires here also, but fortunately few losses of life other than firefighters.

Here's four minutes of update from here.

B.C. wildfires tear through homes and communities across province - YouTube

Here's what I saw night before last from the Tyee Spit.
This is off to the west of us.
RSCN7890.JPG

Really got smokey in town here yesterday and still a bit so.

Crazy year for wildfires all over.

Take care.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
It is nice that people are getting something more than good feelings from donating and good to know the shop is taking care of their people first then giving to other charities. Good that there are donation options out there to fit all sizes, my deal is more T shirts in my closest isn't what giving means to me and it is ok to give money to non free shirt charities in hopes the $20 goes further. Someone somewhere is writing off those t shirt blanks for their taxes, so guess we're all donating twice which is good but part of the reason we have complex tax code
yep. Lots of options to donate. If HIC gave their $30k for blanks to a charity they’d still be able to write that off. Instead they do what they do sell merch with a mark up. They turned $30k into a $100k donation using their place in the niche market they cater to.

If you have a vetted operation that is doing something for Lahaina please post up links. That would be much appreciated.