Fighting Amazon

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Incorrect sir, unless perhaps you are in another country than the US. Their help pages are viewable without being logged into the website. And they don't have to put their terms at the bottom of every product page. Only on the help pages.
Who da fuk goes, "Oh let me see...before I use this card, just because I have so much time to spare, let me first click on the three bars and see if there is anything interesting to read there...mmmm...let's scroll through the drop down menu...mmm..27 sections....which one should I open? Maybe I should I open the "help" section and peruse before making my purchase, even though I don't feel like I need any help. Just because that's what people do."

No one!

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni and r32
Jul 14, 2021
Amazon "gift" cards are such a joke. Got them several times and eventually couldn't buy stuff I wanted. Such a disgrace. The most annoying thing is that it's difficult to find good alternatives. eBay and aliexpress have their disadvantages, and definitely not better. Anyway, I've never had any problems with eBay coupons and gift cards. I've recently got a couple of coupons at https://www.dontpayfull.com for a reasonable price and it was a pretty beneficial deal to me. Was able to get the items I promised to my friend on his birthday. Damn, I hope Amazon gonna change its attitude towards clients or bankrupts...

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Send em a Love letter telling them to give your daughter the $ otherwise you’ll do the following

you’ll sue them in small claims court.

2. Contacting a lawyer about a class action suit against them

If they dont give your daughter the $ I’d file a small claims case - cost is probably like $35 or something.

Fck em for doing that. More than likely they’ll give her the $ back - last thing they‘ll want to do is Defend ($$$ than the gift card) in small claims court.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
it's probably a FINCEN thing and Amazon's AI is just trying to stay out of their scrutiny. Paypal is another under watch as is reddot the main culprit you know all those prepaid cards you can buy over the counter. Having to file reports to FINCEN sucks.
The card swap thing is a pretty common money laundering technique you keep washing the dirty stuff so you can end up with something clean you can sell especially apple products. It should've triggered a followup but maybe they just don't have the time or it's not worth their while hence the disclosure.
I find cash to be the best gift, no limitations.
I always gift cash. Whether its nephews or subordinates, cash is king. Why force someone to shop someplace, even a place such as Amazon where you can buy nearly everything. What if my charting assistant wants to buy a bag of grass? Hell my nephews may very well already be potheads, let them score a bag on uncle subway :roflmao: :jamon: THATS a merry fukking xmas to an 18 year old

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I always gift cash. Whether its nephews or subordinates, cash is king. Why force someone to shop someplace, even a place such as Amazon where you can buy nearly everything. What if my charting assistant wants to buy a bag of grass? Hell my nephews may very well already be potheads, let them score a bag on uncle subway :roflmao: :jamon: THATS a merry fukking xmas to an 18 year old
yup
be surprised the smiles a bunch of crisp $100's or $50's in a card can bring out to even the most picky of recipients. I gave up trying to figure out what to buy family/friends a decade or more ago. If it isn;t something I made with my hands then it's usually crisp cash in a card.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
yup
be surprised the smiles a bunch of crisp $100's or $50's in a card can bring out to even the most picky of recipients. I gave up trying to figure out what to buy family/friends a decade or more ago. If it isn;t something I made with my hands then it's usually crisp cash in a card.
My plan for any wedding I attend going forward. Took me a dozen or so to figure out, where I forget about a gift and I'm scrambling to buy whatever crap is left on the registry :foreheadslap: :roflmao:

Reactions: afoaf

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
nothing beats free shipping to hawaii straight to your door
that's the only benefit of amazon even costco doesn't do that
free shipping to store is great
free shipping to your door is better
just not for your friendly neighborhood mailman
and yes nothing is free
my brother makes surfboards from the styrofoam packing blocks he gets

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
nothing beats free shipping to hawaii straight to your door
that's the only benefit of amazon even costco doesn't do that
free shipping to store is great
free shipping to your door is better
just not for your friendly neighborhood mailman
and yes nothing is free

how fast does shipping get to hawaii guys?...out here in socal sometimes at 8pm after a surf and break your leash... you click ....buy now and get it tomorrow morning...means exactly that....10AM the next day a package lands on the front porch ....YAY

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Amazon sooox ballz.

They charge us extra cause we're so remote... BS, Hawaii is more remote than the Canaries, and I bet they don't charge dah braddahs extra li dat!

:cursing:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I've thought about doing this sort of thing.

My plan was to:

a Cut packing blocks into as uniform as possible rectangles (retaining leftovers).
b Line up formed rectangles into longer rectangles and epoxy them together such that you end up with a blank (use least amount of epoxy as able)
c Cut out planeshape, rough shape it, and if there are voids, using leftovers, crumple 'em up more, mix in some epoxy, use result for fill
d Finish shaping, decide if you want to show off or hide the resin lines or patchwork EPS blocks, then glass it

What is your brother's method? How do the boards go?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
don't use epoxy

use a softer adhesive that will sand and shape better

otherwise you are likely to get proud spots around all of your glue lines...which sounds like you may have quite a few of them

this would happen even if you had it machine cut and just did the SLIGHTEST bit of finish sanding...it would come out of the foam but NOT the glue lines

Reactions: Mr Doof

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
there's some foamfactory styro white glue along with the usual PU expandable and Sumo expandable PU.
You just need something that holds that you can plane and sand thru.
We do composites and vacuum bag using rocker tables the foam core with 3/16"-1/8" thick wood skins. You need to seal the foam with a slurry and epoxy the skin with 2oz to the wood We epoxy glass the wood shell but if you seal the foam core with glass and wood you can actually glass the outside with regular PU
Like Bert said when the strength is in the shell you can go light under a pound with the core
years ago we picked up boxes of balsa planks Shaping and glassing a PU blank is duck soup after making your blanks from a bunch of glued up cast off pieces of Styro or flat sheet.
Linden turned me to this build concept with his recycler boards which I had one in the 90's when he had a shop in mcCully.

Reactions: afoaf

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
I bought a vertical grip for a digital camera off Amazon. It’s already ridiculous to spend $400 on a mass-produced plastic battery box with a couple of switches and a half dozen wires but no batteries. The third-party seller has had a bad reputation in the past on reseller ratings and BBB but those sellers are usually on best behavior when on Amazon because of the volume of sales that Amazon can bring them. The ad on Amazon bundles the grip with 3 other items and “Product Information” lists manufacturer as Sony. When I received the goods, the grip was in fact Sony but the other three out of four items were useless crap. Amazon has conveniently (for them) set up their business so you can’t email so I called and spoke to a customer service representative who agreed with everything I said. From the sound of screaming children in the background to the crazy accent I would guess I was calling a sub-minimum wage worker in the third world. (Some companies use prison inmates to field phone calls.) One must wonder what that impoverished person on the other end is thinking about the caller who is hysterically angry about a $400 plastic box. I pointed out that the charger I received in the bundle was clearly not the charger in the picture and the battery in the bundle was not a Sony battery. It was nearly impossible to tell where these two bundled items were made but I would be bringing that to the attention of the Federal Trade Commission. They offered to allow me to return the items but I refused saying I needed the grip and there was this issue with the supply chain here in America. What I really wanted to know about was the 8 five star global ratings on Amazon that were clearly left by the sleazy seller and not buyers. I tried twice to leave a negative review and the negative reviews disappeared into the ether. (a couple days later Amazon sent an email containing a dense paragraph of legalese detailing their “terms of service”) FWIW the seller’s latest reviews on Amazon and elsewhere have been stellar but since they are still knee deep in grift it’s more likely that they’ve learned to game the system than having any actual happy customers.