Fighting Amazon

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anybody ever had issues with Amazon, besides the geopolitical monopolization and destruction of brick and mortar retail issue?

My daughter received a $100 Amazon gift card for Christmas. She went on Amazon and tried to buy a $15 Apple App Store card. She received a notice that in doing so she had violated their terms of service and the whole $100 was taken.

We only found out about it now because she thought we'd get mad at her. I am mad but not at her. Sounds like robbery to me.

Wondering if anyone has had a problem like this and how you go about fighting it?

ps I hate Amazon. I've only tried to buy something on Amazon a couple times and both times they signed me up for Prime which I did not want.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I hate Amazon but I made 15 grand on their stock last year.

So when people talk sh!t about them, I want to say, "Hey, they're just a little internet company trying to get by."

I think that would be an example of motivated reasoning.

I need to sell my two last shares.

Reactions: Mr Doof

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I hate Amazon but I made 15 grand on their stock last year.

So when people talk sh!t about them, I want to say, "Hey, they're just a little internet company trying to get by."

I think that would be an example of motivated reasoning.

I need to sell my two last shares.
Sell and join the chorus- fuk Amazon!

They also happen to be driving up the price of Ford Transits. The local Ford dealer told me if you want a Transit you have to order it because any that arrive on their lot are immediately snapped up by Amazon.

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Anybody ever had issues with Amazon, besides the geopolitical monopolization and destruction of brick and mortar retail issue?

My daughter received a $100 Amazon gift card for Christmas. She went on Amazon and tried to buy a $15 Apple App Store card. She received a notice that in doing so she had violated their terms of service and the whole $100 was taken.

We only found out about it now because she thought we'd get mad at her. I am mad but not at her. Sounds like robbery to me.

Wondering if anyone has had a problem like this and how you go about fighting it?

ps I hate Amazon. I've only tried to buy something on Amazon a couple times and both times they signed me up for Prime which I did not want.
Are you a Prime member? They seem to be more lenient with members. Threaten to cancel and never shop there again.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Boneroni

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I recently had a $100 amazon gift card. I used it to buy a $100 Apple gift card so I can get a new phone.

The Apple gift card I bought on Amazon was for sale by Apple, from Apple's Amazon page. No problems.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I recently had a $100 amazon gift card. I used it to buy a $100 Apple gift card so I can get a new phone.

The Apple gift card I bought on Amazon was for sale by Apple, from Apple's Amazon page. No problems.
That's basically what my daughter did and they snatched all her money. Think how you'd feel if you went through your transaction , clicked "buy," and then received a message that you violated their terms and your money was gone. :cursing: They could have made some warning before hand. We have to go to the person who gave her the gift card and address the issue through their account. FUK AMAZON.

• Angry
Reactions: r32 and grapedrink

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Quick search. Widely reported problem.

"Your activity triggered a computer algorithm that identified your activity as abnormal and possible money laundering. Amazon closes accounts for this reason regularly. If you search these forums you will find many examples of this type of event."

Customer review of Apple gift cards on Amazon

"Twice now I have bought $100.00 card and my Amazon account is disabled immediately due to suspicious behavior?"

Need to read this article

And read here
"Limitations.
Your Amazon.com Balance cannot be used to purchase other Gift Cards, prepaid open loop cards, or certain third-party gift cards."

Reactions: Mr Doof

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
it's probably a FINCEN thing and Amazon's AI is just trying to stay out of their scrutiny. Paypal is another under watch as is reddot the main culprit you know all those prepaid cards you can buy over the counter. Having to file reports to FINCEN sucks.
The card swap thing is a pretty common money laundering technique you keep washing the dirty stuff so you can end up with something clean you can sell especially apple products. It should've triggered a followup but maybe they just don't have the time or it's not worth their while hence the disclosure.
I find cash to be the best gift, no limitations.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve had great success calling their customer support and being a reasonably ignorant human who is gracious to all who will listen to them.

last thing you should ever do is pick up the phone and yell at them. I know someone who has that problem and got themselves banned from Amazon for life. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Muscles and r32

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Quick search. Widely reported problem.

"Your activity triggered a computer algorithm that identified your activity as abnormal and possible money laundering.
This is becoming the go-to excuse for corporations to do whatever they want.
it's probably a FINCEN thing and Amazon's AI is just trying to stay out of their scrutiny. Paypal is another under watch as is reddot the main culprit you know all those prepaid cards you can buy over the counter. Having to file reports to FINCEN sucks.
The card swap thing is a pretty common money laundering technique you keep washing the dirty stuff so you can end up with something clean you can sell especially apple products. It should've triggered a followup but maybe they just don't have the time or it's not worth their while hence the disclosure.
I find cash to be the best gift, no limitations.
That's why TPTB hate cash.

I’ve had great success calling their customer support and being a reasonably ignorant human who is gracious to all who will listen to them.

last thing you should ever do is pick up the phone and yell at them. I know someone who has that problem and got themselves banned from Amazon for life. Lol.
I've had better success minimizing my Amazon purchases and limiting them to books, though they're starting to ban books. Even if I see a brand name on Amazon, I buy it from the brand website instead so I know it's not a ChiCom knock-off.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Found another Amazon help page which clearly states, you are not allowed to buy other gift cards with your Amazon gift card.

"You may not use a gift card to purchase certain ineligible goods and services such as collectible coins or other gift cards."

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I tried to find the "gift card restrictions"you linked above but it would only be visible to the person buying the gift card. I went through the steps my daughter took and it was nowhere. There are "conditions" at the very bottom of the Amazon page in small font but it was not there.

Caveat emptor!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I tried to find the "gift card restrictions"you linked above but it would only be visible to the person buying the gift card. I went through the steps my daughter took and it was nowhere. There are "conditions" at the very bottom of the Amazon page in small font but it was not there.

Caveat emptor!
Incorrect sir, unless perhaps you are in another country than the US. Their help pages are viewable without being logged into the website. And they don't have to put their terms at the bottom of every product page. Only on the help pages.