Favorite flat or low arch traction pads?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
it is such a PITA to take a pad off. Will try WD40 on a dumb flat pad that came on the gremlin
Friday flat day fun. hairdryer, plastic scraper, goo gone. FML. 80 mins of elbow grease, including a ramen lunch break. Never again. Stupid thin Modom flat pad hipster bullchit. Gremlin should go even better with a proper ProLite arch pad! :jamon:
EAF93AB8-521F-4C8F-BDF5-BDA999881187.jpeg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It's not always possible but I've had pretty good luck using a heat gun and razor blade and just going very slowly on stubborn, old pads. Heat up a section and peel it up as you run a fresh razor blade back and forth carefully. The razor blade is more of a guide to coax the stubborn bits. The moment it feels like the pad isn't coming up smoothly, stop and grab the heat gun again. If you tear up the pad and leave the adhesive it is much more difficult to get off, in my experience.

Goo gone or any of those adhesive removers are no match for some of the pad adhesives when they are left in a big sheet.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I replaced a couple just the other day. Heat gun to soften glue, 3m adhesive cleaner, and a plastic putty knife makes pretty quick work of it. I keep a can of 3m adhesive cleaner in the garage for car work and i find it to work much better than goo gone on adhesives. If you have never used that stuff before, give it a shot next time.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Friday flat day fun. hairdryer, plastic scraper, goo gone. FML. 80 mins of elbow grease, including a ramen lunch break. Never again. Stupid thin Modom flat pad hipster bullchit. Gremlin should go even better with a proper ProLite arch pad! :jamon:
View attachment 174198
I went through the same process on all of my boards. Replaced all my no arch pads with the Prolite Ridgeline.
Night and day difference. I still suck but maybe 12% less now.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
this guy shells out like $1400 for a varial carbon boar, then slaps a $14 amazon pad on there. pitiful arch, marginal nubs.
I'm so scarred from my last pad removal, I don't know if I'm brave enough to try again.
edit: it's also too far back for the TM fin placements
View attachment IMG_0285.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc