Fatal mountain lion attack in Washington State

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
Duffy said:
GWS said:
CA population estimated at around 6 thousand plus. I sold acerage up above Malibu to the Nature Conservancy. They bought it because of the high population.
I do some work for them. I’m going out to the island next week.
Yeah, they got a real nice piece from us that butts up against national park. The land had been in my dad's family since the 1800's.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
GWS said:
Duffy said:
GWS said:
CA population estimated at around 6 thousand plus. I sold acerage up above Malibu to the Nature Conservancy. They bought it because of the high population.
Yeah, they got a real nice piece from us that butts up against national park. The land had been in my dad's family since the 1800's.
Well lah-di-dah.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPGV0FeQF0[/video]

LogHauler

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 29, 2010
I'm in the woods of the PNW every day... have been for years. It's pretty unusual for a cat to go after a human other than a small child. Their survival instinct tells them to avoid prey that might cause them harm. There was almost certainly something with this animal... but that something might have been that it was starving.

Rickoray

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2007
SOC CA
Solo hiked in Caspers park last week... only car in the lot. Was coming down the trail after sunset and got a spooky feeling like I was being stalked. Everything was silent, birds stopped singing and the air was very still. Stopped, turned around and waited for a bit then moved along and kept looking over my shoulder. Nothing... I had a large walking stick and a water bottle but would be no match of a charging lion!
I wonder if an air horn would frighten it off?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
LogHauler said:
I'm in the woods of the PNW every day... have been for years. It's pretty unusual for a cat to go after a human other than a small child. Their survival instinct tells them to avoid prey that might cause them harm. There was almost certainly something with this animal... but that something might have been that it was starving.
These wern't humans, they were cyclists. :dancing:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Leaverite said:
LogHauler said:
These wern't humans, they were cyclists. :dancing:
With gender confusion!

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
GWS said:
Duffy said:
GWS said:
We see them regularly on my dad's property. Last summer I was out walking on his property late in the afternoon by myself and went through a wet, natural spring. Looked down and saw a paw print the size of a small dinner plate. Fresh, the spring water was just starting to leak into it. Time to do a 180 and head back the way I came.

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
shiver_me_timbers said:
The cyclists had one interaction with the mtn lion, then it came back and attacked again. If one of them was armed, they would both still be alive.

Carry a fucking gun when you go in cougar habitat. The whole "you never see 'em coming" is bs. I've had run-ins with mtn lions as a wildlife biologist. Started carrying a gun on those surveys shortly thereafter. Been stalked a few times while hunting for deer & elk. Glock 20 (10mm) is my sidearm of choice, but a 9mm is plenty for a mtn lion. They don't have thick skin.

Whenever I'm hunting or spending any time in the woods not immediately near built up areas, I am armed with bear spray or a gun. Or both.

All you urban SoCal types acting like you're experts or highly experienced with this stuff need to STFU.

Also, for you parents (of dogs or kids) out there, when hiking, always have an adult in the back of the line. Kiddos are an appealing snack for mtn lions.

Remember, mtn lions are cats, and cats are assholes. Be prepared.
this post is real talk, and makes me feel like less of a botch for bailing on my plans of going solo bike packing in the national forests around here as a weekend get away. I bought the bike and then learned about mountain lions and black bears the next day, and logic just told me look dude, as one guy on a bright red bike you’re just a fvcking target for a predatory cat. Never even went bike packing, sold the bike recently because I don’t wanna be cat food. Chances might be slim, but I just couldn’t justify regularly putting myself into a potential situation which I would be inevitably unprepared for. As much of a badass life changing time those weekend trips could have been, it’s still just dumb to do, odds notwithstanding.

I remember searching videos when I was trying to gauge the threat and learn about their behavior. I saw this one specifically and it was really interesting to me how in the beginning the guy turns his back and runs away and the cat is just THERE, ready to pounce. But then at the end he shows confidence and the cat backs away.

I think people tend to think wild animals are just like humans - if I run away maybe I’ll be fast enough to get away, or find someone else who can help me, or maybe the other guy will be slower than me. But it isn’t like that. That wild animal would tear you to shreds in a one on one fight. But unless you trigger its aggressive response it doesn’t know that! Run away, you’re a weak, slow meal on a fvcking platter. But treat the wild animal like your next meal and it will run for its life. Idk, I’m sure it’s not universally true, but I just hate hearing stories of the mountain biker running away. Like, dude, that cat would be scared shitless if you if you just sprinted up to it and kicked it in the face while it was eating your friend. They aren’t fighters, they’re ambush predators. I mean you might be fucked if you don’t have a knife but still, you’re not helping your cause by turning and running. Or like when I go hiking with women and any time something rustles in the bushes they show the weakest body language of curling up into a ball and running away or screaming or hiding or whatever. Like, you’re just making things so damn much worse for yourself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=jWpleN562WE

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Fairly regular sightings in the woods around the town I teach in. And, multiple sightings last week on the Lower Deschutes near Warm Springs.

Here kitty kitty... :toilet:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
One other factor that might come out is if the cat was sick. There was an incident some years back where a mountain lion attacked some people up in Sonoma county.

They were camping in a tent in the yard and woke up hearing their dog freaking out. Jumped out of the tent in time to see a cougar dragging their dog off into the brush.

The people in the house woke up and came outside. 4 full grown adults standing in the yard, trying to make sense of what had happened and BAM! Cougar came rocketing out of the brush and attacked all four of them. They fought it off and ended up killing it with their bare hands. One guy had a bunch of his fingers bitten off. Later on after the county authorities got involved it turned out the animal tested positive for rabies. Mandatory shots for all.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Leaverite said:
One other factor that might come out is if the cat was sick.
Unless the article is inaccurate, a 100lb 3-4 y/o male sounds a wee bit (understatement) emaciated, no?

and...

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html
"A 9-year-old boy, Darron Arroyo, was attacked by a cougar as he was hiking on a trail with his two brothers in Gaviota State Park, Santa Barbara County." etc etc etc. "His parents sued the State of California" :loser:

A lion attacked a 5-year-old girl, Laura Small, in Caspers Regional Park, Orange County, resulting in a $2 million court judgment against Orange County. Laura remains blind in one eye and partially paralyzed. :loser:

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/mar/26/local/me-cougar26
"The parents of a 35-year-old mountain bike enthusiast killed last year by a cougar in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park have filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Orange County, alleging that officials should have known the park was dangerous. " :loser:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
_____ said:
Leaverite said:
One other factor that might come out is if the cat was sick.
Unless the article is inaccurate, a 100lb 3-4 y/o male sounds a wee bit (understatement) emaciated, no?

and...

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html
"A 9-year-old boy, Darron Arroyo, was attacked by a cougar as he was hiking on a trail with his two brothers in Gaviota State Park, Santa Barbara County." etc etc etc. "His parents sued the State of California" :loser:

A lion attacked a 5-year-old girl, Laura Small, in Caspers Regional Park, Orange County, resulting in a $2 million court judgment against Orange County. Laura remains blind in one eye and partially paralyzed. :loser:

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/mar/26/local/me-cougar26
"The parents of a 35-year-old mountain bike enthusiast killed last year by a cougar in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park have filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Orange County, alleging that officials should have known the park was dangerous. " :loser:
Our modern day world is riddled with bad genetics. Watch this video about a french guy who runs away and leaves his family behind in a wildlife park.

He's already bred so its too late...

SurfsUpChuck

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 3, 2005
Alma, Ca
UCSC study is interesting. 36M checking the brussel sprouts at 4mile. Article in the murky news several years ago said they can run 45mph, vertical leap of 25 feet and horizontal leap of 45 feet. If they want you your pretty much done.

I was biking up on a fire road above Lexington Reservoir about 10 years ago getting towards dusk, pretty high up and all of the sudden I got a weird sketchy feeling out of nowhere. I stopped, looked around all is quiet. I turned around and headed down. I still remember the weird feeling and who knows what it was. Big time GPS plots up in the hills there on the Puma site. Looking at the tracks on the UCSC site, I hike a lot at Big Basin over the years and a lot of walks solo. You just never know. I remember the attack in the OC park, guy was bent over working on his bike. Damn what a way to go.

http://santacruzpumas.org

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
SurfsUpChuck said:
UCSC study is interesting. 36M checking the brussel sprouts at 4mile. Article in the murky news several years ago said they can run 45mph, vertical leap of 25 feet and horizontal leap of 45 feet. If they want you your pretty much done.

I was biking up on a fire road above Lexington Reservoir about 10 years ago getting towards dusk, pretty high up and all of the sudden I got a weird sketchy feeling out of nowhere. I stopped, looked around all is quiet. I turned around and headed down. I still remember the weird feeling and who knows what it was. Big time GPS plots up in the hills there on the Puma site. Looking at the tracks on the UCSC site, I hike a lot at Big Basin over the years and a lot of walks solo. You just never know. I remember the attack in the OC park, guy was bent over working on his bike. Damn what a way to go.

http://santacruzpumas.org
I'd be more worried about the dope growers.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
shiver_me_timbers said:
The cyclists had one interaction with the mtn lion, then it came back and attacked again. If one of them was armed, they would both still be alive.
Ahahaha.

What gun do you carry when you go surfing?

You know there are predators in the ocean too, right? :poke:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Rickoray said:
Solo hiked in Caspers park last week... only car in the lot. Was coming down the trail after sunset and got a spooky feeling like I was being stalked. Everything was silent, birds stopped singing and the air was very still. Stopped, turned around and waited for a bit then moved along and kept looking over my shoulder. Nothing... I had a large walking stick and a water bottle but would be no match of a charging lion!
I wonder if an air horn would frighten it off?
Hoolllllly fuck. Video gave me the chills.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
You’ve gotta look them in the eyes and make them believe they are gonna get fucked up if they attack.

Any animal. Dog, cat, Black, Mexican.....

;) :ban:

P.s. I hate cats. They are assholes