Ever get WAY too much speed?

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
This happened to me today for the first time. I took off on a set wave and once i began my bottom turn i was carrying so much speed that I felt out of control. My board wasn't feeling skippy or squirrely; in fact it felt totally locked in and solid but I just couldn't handle how fast I was going. To be quite honest I'm not even sure how to put this speed into perspective other than I was going so fast that I no longer wanted to be on the wave. I had the entire wave in front of me with good shape, but I was going so fast that I was nervous to continue down the line so I just rolled off my board into the face of the wave like a total loser :) I would give anything to have that one back and see what would have happened if I decided to stay on the board.

Again, nothing like this has ever happened to me. I've been out in big waves, and I doubt this was the biggest wave I've ever caught (though it may have been close) and every other wave after that during the same session felt totally normal speed-wise.

This wave was a complete outlier in my surfing history.

Has this happened to anyone else before? What might have caused this outrageous increase in speed?

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This happened to me today for the first time. I took off on a set wave and once i began my bottom turn i was carrying so much speed that I felt out of control. My board wasn't feeling skippy or squirrely; in fact it felt totally locked in and solid but I just couldn't handle how fast I was going. To be quite honest I'm not even sure how to put this speed into perspective other than I was going so fast that I no longer wanted to be on the wave. I had the entire wave in front of me with good shape, but I was going so fast that I was nervous to continue down the line so I just rolled off my board into the face of the wave like a total loser :) I would give anything to have that one back and see what would have happened if I decided to stay on the board.

Again, nothing like this has ever happened to me. I've been out in big waves, and I doubt this was the biggest wave I've ever caught (though it may have been close) and every other wave after that during the same session felt totally normal speed-wise.

Has this happened to anyone else before? What might have caused this outrageous increase in speed?
IMG_2057.gif

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Im not sure ive experienced exactly what youre describing. When i feel like im going "too fast" its usually that sense that im somewhat out of control. Like, im on the wrong board and it wont hold an edge or something.

Going really fast while feeling in control is pretty much the primary sensation I am chasing in surfing.

Maybe you were in a bad stance or off balance or something?

Sometimes our subconcious brain is dumb and unhelpful but its just trying to keep us alive.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Im not sure ive experienced exactly what youre describing. When i feel like im going "too fast" its usually that sense that im somewhat out of control. Like, im on the wrong board and it wont hold an edge or something.

Going really fast while feeling in control is pretty much the primary sensation I am chasing in surfing.

Sometimes our subconcious brain is dumb and unhelpful but its just trying to keep us alive.
What he said.

Reactions: j_mac

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

You're like the surfer whisperer or something.

I was in overhead surf today and I still had to pump. :confused:

Reactions: Aruka

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
only thing better than going too fast on a surfboard is channeling all that momentum into a bottom turn to lip smash..
It was a fight or flight situation. I was so close to hitting that lip…I really just didn’t know why I had all that speed haha

Reactions: j_mac
Jan 30, 2006
central coast

Welcome!! Now chase that dragon!!!

Welcome!!! Now chase that Dragon!!

Reactions: surfwhere

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Does your "surfing history" begin when Covid started by any chance? :nana:

Seriously though, I got a Sharpeye Disco two years ago that would generate crazy speed and would give me a sensation that the board was levitating. Like it was going too fast and creating lift like a foil. I hated that. It took trying about 5 different sets of fins before I got that board dialed in so it would not do that.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Instead wrong, you might have done right. If you're able to replicate it, adjusting fin size like gromsdad said can help you with what you can do next. A liitle less drivey fin could pull that speed down a hair to give you more options off the top.

• Love
Reactions: One-Off

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Does your "surfing history" begin when Covid started by any chance? :nana:

Seriously though, I got a Sharpeye Disco two years ago that would generate crazy speed and would give me a sensation that the board was levitating. Like it was going too fast and creating lift like a foil. I hated that. It took trying about 5 different sets of fins before I got that board dialed in so it would not do that.
Not a Covid surfer

Yes that feeling of levitating is similar to what I felt as well.

Last edited:

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Only time I remember “too much speed“ was my first time on a TKF after a life on tri fin HPSBs. Shoulder-HH beach break and I could barely stay on the board for the first few waves. Bar of soap feeling. Once I dialed that TKF I‘ve never been back to full time hpsbs.