erBBers currently living at home

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You said a mouthful. Though even working from home isn't so easy when caring for an elderly person.

I thought I'd have it made, care for my mom, work from home for the Irish insurance company transcribing their phone calls that were going to legal resolutions. :shameonyou:

Until deadlines to hand in work started to happen after "nightmare nights" up all night caring for a disoriented, dizzy lady who's crapping herself all over.

Just after the entire night up, changing bed sheets, disinfecting floors and bathroom, then go sit and review the work to be handed in that same day.

I quit within a month.

Learned the hard way: you have two states of care for the elderly...

Attended and Unattended.

Period.
This 100%.

People don't realize prior to modern times most of these elderly would be long dead before they turned into large unruly children in diapers.

It's a full time job in most instances. Unhealthy, physically and emotionally draining.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This 100%.

People don't realize prior to modern times most of these elderly would be long dead before they turned into large unruly children in diapers.

It's a full time job in most instances. Unhealthy, physically and emotionally draining.
A sad hard truth for many. Honestly the nursing home system is probably far more efficient and better for all parties involved, despite how heartbreaking it may feel to put grandma in a home. She may hate it at first but we are no longer a society where most homes and families are set up organically to just care for the elderly at home until they pass. It can be done and is often done for various reasons, but the time and life sapped from the caregivers and the elder themselves is probably far more destructive than a nursing home scenario, and life is short enough as it is.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
It was after this that GWS gave me hordes of sh!t for staying at my Moms in DP while we made the transition from Colorado back to Hawaii. What a fckin creep!
Oh stop. You were following me around the board like a love sick puppy trying to start sh!t with me. For months. I eventually responded. Get over it. Seems like over a decades worth of time should have done the trick, but obviously I wounded you deeply. As I recall you told me you were going to hunt me down and assault my ass before you left the mainland. That's a lot of emotion.

I may have very well given you sh!t about living at home. Seems like pretty fair-game/mild re some of the forums little arguments. I seriously doubt I ever, ever, EVER gave you sh!t about taking care of your mother. I watched my mother destroy herself taking care of my grandmother when I was a kid. Wouldn't have done that.

Sorry about your mom.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink