erBBers currently living at home

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My mom was always bitching at me to leave and acted all hurt when I did. Women.
My GF’s mother is like that now. She’s threatening to up and leave with her father to live as an expat in Mexico or Portugal in the next year. And we’re encouraging it and telling her “That sounds great! We’ll come visit” and then she turns around and gets mad that we’re trying to get rid of her. It’s like she wants us to beg her to stay.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I moved back home for a minute.
‘I lost my job adn had my ex wife tell me she was done and to leave in the same week.

Moved home for 5 months to get back on my feet and then got a new place. I am super close with my parents though and my family would all do anything for each other. We old school like that

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
My dear old dad, as much of an individualist, libertarian, even stoic type of man that we was, was surprisingly empathetic or understanding of the “young adults living in their parents home” phenomenon. His main point would be “it’s only the last couple of generations that started to think it was normal for the family to all live in separate homes, between generations. For millennia, the norm was for families to stick together in a home, or a homestead or cave or whatever, for their entire lives. Its really only this post modern era that all of a sudden started assuming kids should and would GTFO right after school was finished. Wasn’t that long ago that multi generations would be born, grow up, marry, raise their own kids, and die, all in the same home, and with multiple generations all there too
If we still rolled like this imagine the billions saved annually from no longer needing daycare.

Reactions: bluengreen

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I've got a buddy who's family has some acreage and each family member has their own house on the property. I always thought it was the perfect set up. Each house is far enough apart that they don't really have to see each other if they don't want to, but close enough to easily help each other out or visit when needed.

As far as anyone moving back home I've got no issues with it. Life can kick you in the balls really hard sometimes.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
^^^
what thee f**k is this thread gonna be 'bout?
pepz whom ride a surfin' board, whom still live at home,
with THEIR Mom + Dadz?
who cares if they do so,
or do so, not???

i, sir, do not.
my Mom, she be dead, since 1994, she died @ aged of 51.
ob'z that i do not live with her, though, she, still, is in my mind, my memory, she, her outline,
can be seen here, from a photograph of her, at age of 16, gettin' tatted upon my arm by Freddie Negrete,
some 5 yeaz, after her death, it bein' done so, in 1999...
View attachment 119506
and i will ask this again,
what is thee point of this thread???
you miss your Mommy, too?
hmmm...
randy
:waving:

PS ~ edit add-in:
in regardz to this post,
down below, oakie~doakie?
vvvvv

i ain't Matt, he whom is a regular footer, from San Clemente,
my name is Randy, i am from Venice, + i've kinda been a goofy, allll my life,
View attachment 119529
un~till i started to ride an egg, err a fun~board, for gigglez, hahaha!
have you self a great Friday night, boyz + girlz, yow!!!
:cheers:
Haha. No shame intended. Was going off the Japan thread. I think its been on my mind b/c my brother in law is currently back at the parents house and they driving each other crazy. Hes kind of gone astray after finishing college. For a while he was one of those guys living in his car in SF working for a tech company. He doesn't want to pay rent. He just got into BJJ. Maybe the dudes there will body slam him into a new perspective.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
If we still rolled like this imagine the billions saved annually from no longer needing daycare.
Or elder care, or sprawling Mac mansions for 2 adults and a cat (yes, I realize I’m being somewhat hypocritical, living with just a wife and 3 pets in a 2 story 4 bedroom house near the surf) but I’ve never really claimed to be an activist of any sort.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I think we’ll start to see multigenerational families become more prevalent.

in my 30’s, grad school, working full time, at home with Ma and pa. I did all the landscaping, garbage/lawn, picked up an electric bill here/there etc etc. worked well for all. Surf trips galore. my sisters said they made a movie out of me when “failure to launch” came out.

fast forward to marriage, 4 kids, a corporate gig, small business owner and two sets of parents that are aging. Grandparents are (for the most part) a good influence on my kids, keeps the gparents moving and young, handing down stories and traditions. They seem to have more patience than I and are on similar kids wavelength.

I can’t imagine them going to a nursing home. So long as I can care for them medically, they can live with us if ever need be. Currently looking for a property that will allow for that. Thanks Ma and Pa.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Its not as instinctive in American families to care for their elderly. Its refreshing to see some good vibes here!

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
It seems like when it became common and expected that women work full time, that’s also when it became more common that old people had to go to nursing homes

maybe no one home to care for the oldies?
maybe no one being up for taking care of the oldies with enough to handle with a full time job and kids and all of that

I don’t know
My mother and mother in law both would’ve been welcome to live with us, but wouldn’t have chosen to. Both lived alone and self-sufficient until they died. (father and father in law long gone).
But honestly, I had a hard time spending 5 minutes in the same room with my mother in law and my wife. They drove each other crazy, and I’d s check out, staring into space,

I know some friends parents who are much happier in a nursing home than being by themselves

sometimes it’s just a better option for everyone

not easy to lose a parent suddenly, but logistically, way easier than caring for them as they decline. I wish anyone going through that strength and patience

Reactions: Boneroni and Pico

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
True caring for the elderly can be a FT job. Pretty hard to have to work unless you work from home. Ive been lucky enough to care for Gma while she died in the house her husband built in the early 40's. Also my ol GF's Mom while she died in a cozy house we rented for her in Colorado because she had to escape her crazy husband who she got a divorce from on her deathbed. We had her in a nursing home for a couple days because we needed a break. We couldnt stand it so brought her home after the weekend. A hospice nurse showed up every now and then to relieve us for a few hours. It was after this that GWS gave me hordes of sh!t for staying at my Moms in DP while we made the transition from Colorado back to Hawaii. What a fckin creep!

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1/2 onion
2 handfuls crushed saltines

You mother and mine went to the same school of Depression Era home economic recipes.

Sometime, if she wasn't completely worn out keeping us kids from murdering each other, she'd experiment a little with the sides: mashed potatoes would have a sprinkle of garlic powder and the frozen peas and carrots a drizzle of vinegar and maple syrup.

Last edited:

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Both of my 20-something year old daughters would be quite welcome to move back into the home they grew up in, but in all likelihood they will never have to. Still, I think it gives them a sense of security to know that they have a fallback in case something unexpectedly goes wrong.

Reactions: npsp and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah I certainly appreciated the safety net of mom and dads basement when I was 23 or so, maybe 24. I would have found a couch or eventually a room to rent, I’m not saying I would have been capital H homeless, but, as close as I ever care to be again, and having their place to regroup and get my footing again was muy bueno

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
True caring for the elderly can be a FT job. Pretty hard to have to work unless you work from home.
You said a mouthful. Though even working from home isn't so easy when caring for an elderly person.

I thought I'd have it made, care for my mom, work from home for the Irish insurance company transcribing their phone calls that were going to legal resolutions. :shameonyou:

Until deadlines to hand in work started to happen after "nightmare nights" up all night caring for a disoriented, dizzy lady who's crapping herself all over.

Just after the entire night up, changing bed sheets, disinfecting floors and bathroom, then go sit and review the work to be handed in that same day.

I quit within a month.

Learned the hard way: you have two states of care for the elderly...

Attended and Unattended.

Period.

Reactions: Mr Doof