Endtimes for the Surfboard Industry?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
* Drew/Old City Epoxy = St. Augustine
* Lib Tech = Bellingham or some such

IMHO the much older Lib Techs had a good, lively feel to them, and the newer ones don't feel as lively/responsive relative to poly/EPS/Black Dart/C4 etc. IMHO the Lib Tech would be great for any sort of step up/semi or anything you'd get in a heavier glass job. Thanks for the reminder, Delta Discomfort+. Need to Sharpie "DO NOT PREMATURELY JETTISON FROM CARGO BAY WHILST CIRCLING AIRPORT"

IMHO there's been growth in the overall numbers of surfers over 30 since I first rode a wave in the 80s.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
theres been growth in the overall numbers of surfers over 30 since I first rode a wave in the 80s.
I agree. I think of active age groups “surfing” millennials may make up one of the biggest.

I know there are plenty of GenX surfers who had kids that now also surf, but millennials grew up while surfing was entering mainstream but still core (baywatch vs the SC methheads) and their boomer parents were beach bum surfers too.

millennials are big on their toys and late to have kids - perfect targets for surf marketing. Do groms really idolize rob machado?

Last edited:

coquearaujo

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2004
Nigrán, Galiza, Europe
www.waira.com
Says someone who sells not only Firewire but NSP and SUP's.
Pot meet kettle!
Just ask my customers: if you ask for a Firewire, I'll show you one and let you know which one I think will work better for you. But good luck finding one of my customers who can actually surf and that I pointed him into a Firewire.

Different tools for different people: NSP Element construction is a great newbie board to throw around and take the abuse. And the shapes work pretty well for that kind of surfer.

BWB, I sell lots of racing SUPs for people who like to exercise in the ocean and some all around SUPs for occasional paddling with the family, etc... Can't remember the last paddlesurf board I sold and never pointed anyone into paddlesurfing. In fact I do the opposite because I do really feel is the best I can do for my customers.

So... try again.

coquearaujo

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2004
Nigrán, Galiza, Europe
www.waira.com
Flex and "dead feeling" is relevant to maybe the 100 best surfers in the world. The rest of us are not able to apply enough force onto the board for any of that stuff to matter. The flex debate died many years ago after people realized a spongy material like a surfboard is not like a spring.
Believe me: you're wrong. I just made two identical boards for myself and two identical boards for two team riders: same blank, same shape, same fin boxes. One with 4+4 deck and 4 bottom, the other one with 4 + tail patch deck and 4 bottom.

All three of us could feel the difference, being the second construction much lively and feeling the flex much better. The team riders hoped for the opposite because a 4+4 deck would last much longer so they won't spend that much on boards but the truth is a board with good flex feels much better.

Maybe you can't feel it, but most competent surfers out there can definitely feel it and love it.

BTW, my customers who are windsurfers can handle much better and tend to love much more boards with those kind of constructions and high volume boards. Maybe it's because you're used to 85 litre sandwich construction boards.

Mar 7, 2018
not a bodyboarder but ridden plenty over the years.
early fibreglass and stiff thick plastic bottom boards to things like modern foam tech.
i can tell you flex is so noticeable from how they ride chop to the projection from a bottom turn.
why would it be different for something longer and more slender?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Less.

Really nice dampened down ride, really smooth and cuts into the water in a very pleasing fashion.

Seems like they paddle better too- at least into waves.
how much do they weigh? I imagine some extra inertia kind of like a heavier glass job.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Haven't got exact weights- will do.

6'10" is probs a smidge lighter than my 7'3" Aleutian Juice.

5'8" deffo a fair bit heavier than a standard pu/pe.

Just rode 5'8" for first time in light onshore head high surf at Point- felt really nice.

Wood definitely has a different feeling. But there's no learning curve- it felt right from jump street.

Reactions: One-Off and Mr J

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Stumbled across this one (yes, I don't do anything useful with my time)

2 people, both equipped with brains, discussing the matter. Rare!

Edit:
Now that I've watched it, maybe not so insightful as I hoped for.

Edit edit:
-Kids are skipping the 3rd grade to surf? :roflmao:
1702469061539.png

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Believe me: you're wrong. I just made two identical boards for myself and two identical boards for two team riders: same blank, same shape, same fin boxes. One with 4+4 deck and 4 bottom, the other one with 4 + tail patch deck and 4 bottom.

All three of us could feel the difference, being the second construction much lively and feeling the flex much better. The team riders hoped for the opposite because a 4+4 deck would last much longer so they won't spend that much on boards but the truth is a board with good flex feels much better.

Maybe you can't feel it, but most competent surfers out there can definitely feel it and love it.

BTW, my customers who are windsurfers can handle much better and tend to love much more boards with those kind of constructions and high volume boards. Maybe it's because you're used to 85 litre sandwich construction boards.
Personal opinion, board flex is a very very minor factor. The far more important factor if you want to talk about flex is the amount of flex in a boards fins and the manner in which the fins are attached to the board. The fins make or break any board. Placement, attachment method, fin template, fin foil and fin flex to me are the most critical aspect of any modern shortboard.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

coquearaujo

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2004
Nigrán, Galiza, Europe
www.waira.com
Personal opinion, board flex is a very very minor factor. The far more important factor if you want to talk about flex is the amount of flex in a boards fins and the manner in which the fins are attached to the board. The fins make or break any board. Placement, attachment method, fin template, fin foil and fin flex to me are the most critical aspect of any modern shortboard.
Obviously, fins are very important, but I don't think as important as to say they are "the most critical aspect of any modern shortboard". For me they're two separate things and both need to work properly and together.

A good set of fins can't change a bad rocker, foiling or rails... Not even fin placement.

I'm usually close to 187 lbs, so I can't even try plastic fins. I tend to like Futures Techflex as my everyday fins but also like Blackstix in smaller waves and solid fiberglass on bigger waves. But tried recently a set of honeycombs that I liked in smaller on shore broken waves.

That said: IMO a set of fins can change the board a bit, making it looser, adding some bite, but generally, you won't turn a shitty board into a keeper just by changing the fins. I had board that I liked but were too stiff or too loose and was able to love them by changing the fins, but they were already good boards.

BTW, I lurk the forum some nights every month but I don't feel like writing from and Ipad and lying on bed... Good to see many of you still post over here. But really upset that finally the Firewire popups replaced the Moonlight Glassing glassed surfboards here on the forum... :cry: