Endtimes for the Surfboard Industry?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've heard from very reliable sources on the materials end of things things are bad, bad, bad and that was months ago.
I can't imagine it's getting any better.

I mentioned this was coming a while back, and it all ties in to the silly "Why aren't surfboards more expensive?" line of questions.

And I'll repeat the same old song:

Surfboard prices at current levels are simply not sustainable, mostly because the surfboard market is composed of males ages 16-30yr old.

Simply, the demographics of surfing have always limited the rise in prices. Inflation doesn't help.

It doesn't matter if the shaper should be paid more. That's simply not the way it works. Consumers set the prices.

The reason why guys like P Byrne are cheaper than the flavor of the week I think are twofold:
1) The old guys who have been in the game decades know the demographics of surfing limit the rise in prices.
2) The guys with big production operations have big debt payments, big rent payments, and a bunch of employees to pay, hence the more expensive price tag that is difficult to reduce

As for me, I'm not even considering new surfboard purchases. I'm riding great boards and there hasn't been enough surf to beat my current boards up. For 90% of surfers in CA you should be covered with 2 or 3 boards: A groveler, a daily driver, and a good waves board.

So let's do the math. The average surfer in CA gets the most use out of their groveler or DD, the good waves board doesn't factor in as it rarely gets used as the waves are rarely good. Let's say he typically replaces each of those every year. He probably doesn't need a new board, but two crispies have always been a luxury he's willing allow himself about once a year.

Now he faces new pricing:

Plopping down $1200 bucks/yr for two surfboards is one thing.
Plopping down $1200 bucks/yr for one surfboard is another.

He's gonna start stretching his purchases and maybe skipping purchases entirely. $2400/yr on boards is a lot of money. My wife and I bring home good income with no kids and that number is hard to justify. And our COL is far lower than most.

I have ample time to surf and make plenty of use of that time, much more water time than the average joe...and for the average joe who maybe gets in the water once every week or two current prices look even less appealing.

This can only mean guys are going to drop prices, close up shop, or move their business elsewhere.

1701622021421.png

1701622077748.png

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
There will be fat years, and there will be lean years, but it is going to rain.....

economy in the shithole doesnt stop the waves, waves break boards, shapers will shape and sell new ones...from their moms kitchen peninsula, their garages, their detached shaping rooms, their storefront shops, their commercial spaces, their factories, their overseas factories....best thing about dire financial circumstances is that the waves keep coming.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
So now they're being eaten by rats in storage before they can be sold, a year ago people were shaping their more hydrodynamic household items into rideable craft because orders took four months to fill

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
He's the surfboard variation of Supreme/GX1000 etc model of pricing.

Also, the guys here with more boards than they can ever actually dial seem to be his most likely customers and are not representative of the market.
Happened upon a Volcom pop-up store last weekend while shopping for a fancy bath faucet. In the back of the room, no tags. Sigh, I didn't inquire...
1701961276252.png

• Love
Reactions: jkb

coquearaujo

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2004
Nigrán, Galiza, Europe
www.waira.com
I would never pay more for a surfboard. They are just floaty skateboards. Maybe I would buy a Lib Tech Puddle Jumper 5'11 for $700, but not a PU.
It's funny that you'd pay that much for the sh1ttiest construction available, with no flex and a dead feeling and covered by a thick amount of resin...

I've never seen an average / good surfer happy with a Lib Tech, and hate them myself. The only happy owners I see are windsurfers who surf occasionally and want a tough board and germans who like a board that can throw into a plane and make it safe even if it surfs like sh1t...

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It's funny that you'd pay that much for the sh1ttiest construction available, with no flex and a dead feeling and covered by a thick amount of resin...

I've never seen an average / good surfer happy with a Lib Tech, and hate them myself. The only happy owners I see are windsurfers who surf occasionally and want a tough board and germans who like a board that can throw into a plane and make it safe even if it surfs like sh1t...

Says someone who sells not only Firewire but NSP and SUP's.
Pot meet kettle!

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
no flex and a dead feeling
Flex and "dead feeling" is relevant to maybe the 100 best surfers in the world. The rest of us are not able to apply enough force onto the board for any of that stuff to matter. The flex debate died many years ago after people realized a spongy material like a surfboard is not like a spring.

windsurfers who surf occasionally
That's me :)

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

FWIW I've known som decent surfers that dig the Drew Baggett construction. Not sure if it's the Libtech or just something similar coming out of the same factory.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It feels different to me. I don't see very many kids in the water anymore but that's totally anecdotal and the stats are the stats.

Speaking of stats. I found this SIMA tidbit interesting.

Maybe a good chunk of the surfing population can afford a $1,200 board. :shrug:

This.

"Surfing is dominated by youth – as 71 percent of the total surfing participants are in the 6- to 34-year-old age range. "

"In fact, 87 percent of all surfers are younger than 44 years old. "

But at least half of that demographic is getting their boards paid for by their over 44 year old parents. And all of them are living close to the coast which most likely puts them in an upper income bracket household.

On another note, I always ask the kids working at ET Surfboards (South Bay's largest surf shop?) what's selling. The answer is always "Channel Islands and Lost." I would have thought Pyzel would have a moment or Sharpeye, ut the answer is always the same. What's that about? Marketing?

Reactions: jkb

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
FWIW I've known som decent surfers that dig the Drew Baggett construction. Not sure if it's the Libtech or just something similar coming out of the same factory.
I don't think Drew has any association with Lib tech. He does c4, black dart and other pretty rad stuff https://instagram.com/inspiredshaper?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

I'll definitely agree that lib tech feels like sh!t. Heavy, dead feeling. Priobably okay for a midlength though. @Northern_Shores you really don't feel a difference? I'm a pretty average surfer but can tell instantly whether a board is poly or eps and whether I like the flex or not.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I'll definitely agree that lib tech feels like sh!t. Heavy, dead feeling. Priobably okay for a midlength though. @Northern_Shores you really don't feel a difference? I'm a pretty average surfer but can tell instantly whether a board is poly or eps and whether I like the flex or not.
Unless you are Claw Slater this is all in your head. As you say yourself "whether I like the flex or not.". If you could blind test the boards, there is no way you could differentiate between constructions of otherwise identical boards.

If you are an average surfer you are not applying enough force to the boards for them to even twist a millimeter. You are basically going straight compared to Medina or Kelly. How could flex come into play at the recreational level?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't think Drew has any association with Lib tech. He does c4, black dart and other pretty rad stuff https://instagram.com/inspiredshaper?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

Hmmm. I thought there was some overlap. Obviously, it's an oversimplification, but they're all variations of bagging strategies. I could be wrong.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Unless you are Claw Slater this is all in your head. As you say yourself "whether I like the flex or not.". If you could blind test the boards, there is no way you could differentiate between constructions of otherwise identical boards.

If you are an average surfer you are not applying enough force to the boards for them to even twist a millimeter. You are basically going straight compared to Medina or Kelly. How could flex come into play at the recreational level?
Claw slater, I like that idea....minus the baldness though please.

Not sure I'd be able to differentiate a stringerless glassed epoxy from another, but if we're talking eps vs pu, heavy glass, surftech etc I'd be pretty confident.

I can flex a board by putting the nose on the grund, holding the tail with one hand and pushing the deck with the other. My 195lbs surely will get the job done too.

I'll ask for you as the shaper of that double blind test though :jamon: