Electric Tripping

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My med/med Transit camper at 5300lbs gets 21-24mpg. The Maverick Hybrid is the most sensible vehicle on the market today. I just with they'd do a version with 2 doors and a longer bed.
I just went to see one (Maverick) at a dealer. It was a custom order and new owner was coming in at noon to pick it up. The dealer gave me the heads up to see it so I could at least get a feel for the size. I liked the interior... a lot. It's cheap plastic but the design makes up for it. My teenage daughter liked it too. It was a little low for my taste. I'm spoiled by my Vanagon which has 11" of ground clearance. I doubt the hybrid will lend itself to easy DIY lift kits.

I was not allowed to fire up the engine. One review said the sound system sucked. The truck bed is microscopic (48" wide by 53" long) but I'm no longer considering sleeping in the bed with a topper on it when camping. I would probably would get a tonneau to lock up gear and rack for boards.

Maybe get some rotopack for Jack Daniels. :shrug:

I'm now on the list to get on the list to buy one :roflmao: .

Last edited:

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
We typically take our Model 3 to Mammoth 2 weekends a month. We drive from Newport Beach.

It has been less this year, I've been skiing Baldy more, but Tesla to Mammoth is very doable.

We have a 2020 model 3 long-range AWD. It's listed range is 322, but ours has a range of around 300 now.

It takes planning, but for the most part it is really not all that bad.

I usually leave home with around an 85% charge. I can make it to Inyokern with around 10% battery life, change for around 20 minutes, then get to Bishop with roughly 15%. Another 10 minute charge and we can get to Mammoth with around 20% battery.

The Tesla charging station in Mammoth is right by the Grocery Outlet. It is also close to the Looney Bean and pretty close to Footloose. Most of our weekends are 3 day, drive up Friday morning at 4 am, so on Saturday and Sunday morning I can typically get some charging in while I get coffee/groceries/pick up something from Footloose.

I often leave from Mammoth with around 50% charge. I can usually get to Lone Pine, where we pick up a sandwich or a pizza and charge for around 20 minutes. The last charge is in Mojave.

This weekend we didn't charge when we were up there, so we left with around 20%. We grabbed foot at Schat's in Bishop and charged there. We usually don't have to charge TOO much on the drive home, you are basically going downhill, but this trip was more than usual because we left with so little charge.

It takes very little charge to get to Bishop from Mammoth, as you are going downhill, and the regenerative breaking probably adds about 5% to the battery.

Mt. Baldy is really trippy that way. I will typically have maybe a 35% charge in the Baldy parking lot and a 42% charge when I get on the 210.

None of this is set in stone. Sometimes driving up I will do a quick charge in Mojave, then another quick charge in Lone Pine, and maybe one more in Bishop.

I would say if normally you would stop once for gas in Fort Independence for around 10 minutes, not it is more like 25-30 minutes of charging total.

Eventually you start to figure things out. It charges like the graph of a logarithmic function, steep (i.e. fast) early, then it slows down. It makes more sense to start with a full charge, or close to it, than drive until it is around 10%, then do the same. If you have 10% battery life, and you need roughly 70% to get to your destination, it probably makes sense to charge from 10% to 40%, then again from 10% to 40% instead of charging form 10% to 70% once. This approach maximizes efficiency. Obviously if there is somewhere you want to take a long stop that changes things. Of course, this depends on the location of the charges and how busy they are. If you keep driving the same routes you will start to get a feel for all of this.

Obviously it is a sacrifice in convenience. But if you plan properly I really have not found it to be all that bad. It probably adds about 20 minutes to the drive, which I can handle.

One good thing is that most of the stations we use on the way up, Inyokern/Lone Pine/Bishop are all 250kw now, so you get a VERY fast charge as they are also usually pretty empty.

Mojave is a bit slower, and usually has more people on a Sunday evening for whatever reason. It is right at a Stater Bros, so you can buy stuff to munch on.

Overall I really do like it. But it does take more planning. We are all generally used to not having to give much thought to getting gas, with an electric car that is not the case. One potential issue, depending on where you are going, is how busy the chargers are. With lots of cars charging you will get a slower rate. You also might have to wait for a charger. I have never had to do that going to Mammoth yet. I would do some research if there are regular, lengthy trips that you take.

We need to get a home charger, but have not done that yet. We have solar panels on our roof, so it is pretty stupid of us not to have a charger in our garage, but it has not been inconvenient enough yet for us to take the step. My wife has a very short commute and I'm remote, so thus far the itch has not been all that unpleasant. If I had a serious commute I would have put in a charger by now.

But I can't stress enough that it is essential to do your homework. I had spent hours and hours on abetterrouteplanner.com planning the different ways to go to Mammoth. If you have a specific set of long trips you regularly do then I would really try to get a feel for just how they will be.

It would be nice if everyone would get on the same charging setup. The EV America chargers on the way to Mammoth are actually in good places to complement the Tesla ones. It doesn't make any sense for things to be different.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It takes very little charge to get to Bishop from Mammoth, as you are going downhill, and the regenerative breaking probably adds about 5% to the battery.

Do you mean from Mammoth to Bishop. I know going up the 395 there are a few hills that slow my vanagon down to 50mph.

If you have 10% battery life, and you need roughly 70% to get to your destination, it probably makes sense to charge from 10% to 40%, then again from 10% to 40% instead of charging form 10% to 70% once. This approach maximizes efficiency.

I'm curious about this statement. Iunderstand that the charging rate slows down as you get near full. How does the way you charge affect the batteries life? Will it last longer keep it topped up or is it better to cycle completely (run them down to 5-10% before charging again). By battery life, I mean how many years will the battery last?
Thanks for the info. I wonder if, in the coming years, there will be lines and frustration at charging stations, or will industry step up and meet the demand?

Reactions: dl4060

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I have a separate level 2 charger for my Mini SE, but we use my wife's charger that came w her model 3. It's good up to 32 amps, so charges at about 25 mi/hr in our 240 V outlet in the garage. We just had to buy an adapter for it. Also bought the j1772 adapter so we can charge her car at any station.

I saw a maverick on the road last week. Always see rivians bc they're based in my work city. Haven't seen a cyber or lightning, yet.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
some good food in garden grove bruh...
THIS FKN GUY GETS IT!!!!

We typically take our Model 3 to Mammoth 2 weekends a month. We drive from Newport Beach.

It has been less this year, I've been skiing Baldy more, but Tesla to Mammoth is very doable.

We have a 2020 model 3 long-range AWD. It's listed range is 322, but ours has a range of around 300 now.

I usually leave home with around an 85% charge. I can make it to Inyokern with around 10% battery life, change for around 20 minutes, then get to Bishop with roughly 15%. Another 10 minute charge and we can get to Mammoth with around 20% battery.

The Tesla charging station in Mammoth is right by the Grocery Outlet. It is also close to the Looney Bean and pretty close to Footloose. Most of our weekends are 3 day, drive up Friday morning at 4 am, so on Saturday and Sunday morning I can typically get some charging in while I get coffee/groceries/pick up something from Footloose.

I often leave from Mammoth with around 50% charge. I can usually get to Lone Pine, where we pick up a sandwich or a pizza and charge for around 20 minutes. The last charge is in Mojave.

This weekend we didn't charge when we were up there, so we left with around 20%. We grabbed foot at Schat's in Bishop and charged there. We usually don't have to charge TOO much on the drive home, you are basically going downhill, but this trip was more than usual because we left with so little charge.

Mt. Baldy is really trippy that way. I will typically have maybe a 35% charge in the Baldy parking lot and a 42% charge when I get on the 210.

None of this is set in stone. Sometimes driving up I will do a quick charge in Mojave, then another quick charge in Lone Pine, and maybe one more in Bishop.

I would say if normally you would stop once for gas in Fort Independence for around 10 minutes, not it is more like 25-30 minutes of charging total.

Eventually you start to figure things out. It charges like the graph of a logarithmic function, steep (i.e. fast) early, then it slows down. It makes more sense to start with a full charge, or close to it, than drive until it is around 10%, then do the same. If you have 10% battery life, and you need roughly 70% to get to your destination, it probably makes sense to charge from 10% to 40%, then again from 10% to 40% instead of charging form 10% to 70% once. This approach maximizes efficiency. Obviously if there is somewhere you want to take a long stop that changes things. Of course, this depends on the location of the charges and how busy they are. If you keep driving the same routes you will start to get a feel for all of this.

Obviously it is a sacrifice in convenience. But if you plan properly I really have not found it to be all that bad. It probably adds about 20 minutes to the drive, which I can handle.

One good thing is that most of the stations we use on the way up, Inyokern/Lone Pine/Bishop are all 250kw now, so you get a VERY fast charge as they are also usually pretty empty.

Mojave is a bit slower, and usually has more people on a Sunday evening for whatever reason. It is right at a Stater Bros, so you can buy stuff to munch on.

Overall I really do like it. But it does take more planning. We are all generally used to not having to give much thought to getting gas, with an electric car that is not the case. One potential issue, depending on where you are going, is how busy the chargers are. With lots of cars charging you will get a slower rate. You also might have to wait for a charger. I have never had to do that going to Mammoth yet. I would do some research if there are regular, lengthy trips that you take.

We need to get a home charger, but have not done that yet. We have solar panels on our roof, so it is pretty stupid of us not to have a charger in our garage, but it has not been inconvenient enough yet for us to take the step. My wife has a very short commute and I'm remote, so thus far the itch has not been all that unpleasant. If I had a serious commute I would have put in a charger by now.

But I can't stress enough that it is essential to do your homework. I had spent hours and hours on abetterrouteplanner.com planning the different ways to go to Mammoth. If you have a specific set of long trips you regularly do then I would really try to get a feel for just how they will be.

It would be nice if everyone would get on the same charging setup. The EV America chargers on the way to Mammoth are actually in good places to complement the Tesla ones. It doesn't make any sense for things to be different.
reading this post gets me excited for backpacking season!!!

ALL THE PLACES I LIKE TO GO

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
It charges like the graph of a logarithmic function, steep (i.e. fast) early, then it slows down. It makes more sense to start with a full charge, or close to it, than drive until it is around 10%, then do the same. If you have 10% battery life, and you need roughly 70% to get to your destination, it probably makes sense to charge from 10% to 40%, then again from 10% to 40% instead of charging form 10% to 70% once.
The battery charger has to work harder to push that last 10% of charge into the battery. Think of it like blowing up an air mattress, pretty easy at first then gets hard as the pressure rises.

Anybody have any long term experiences with battery degradation?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
The battery charger has to work harder to push that last 10% of charge into the battery. Think of it like blowing up an air mattress, pretty easy at first then gets hard as the pressure rises.

Anybody have any long term experiences with battery degradation?
We have had none in our little mercedes. It's got 35K on it. Definitely lower range when it's real cold - probably has 10 percent lower range when it'd like, below 40 degrees. Plus the heater pulls a lot of juice. If you get an electric, it's worth asking whether climate control is heat pump based or resistance heater based (think of a toaster). Heat pumps are way, way more efficient.

Battery wise too - Our highlander hybrid is a 2008. We have had no issues with its batteries. I'm sure they've lost charge capacity, but none has failed in 150K miles. That thing just goes and goes.

Reactions: Aruka

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA

This sounds pretty awful tbh

Sounds like the time to buy an electric car is probably 10 years from now.

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002
Seems like we are all thinking about the same thing. I started the process of getting solar panels for the house almost 2 years ago. First was going to go with a Tesla Solar Roof. Had a signed contract and everything. Then they absolutely screwed their customers and increased the agreed upon price by about half. There was a class action lawsuit, but I didn't want anything to do with Tesla roofing after this.

Ended up going with a traditional roof replacement, and regular solar panels. Long process...started in September...got the panels installed in December and still haven't gotten permission to actually turn the system on from PG&E. Supposed to be any day now.

Ordered the cheapest Nissan Leaf yesterday. Only has 150 miles of range..but will be fine for 98% of my driving. I'm on the reservation list for the Ford Lightning. Was just notified I didn't make it for the 2022 models, but hopefully will get a shot at the 2023 model this summer. I will only follow through with the reservation if I can get the "pro" base model which is 39,000. The next level is about 55,000 which is too much for what I need.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah - that is an interesting article. For comparison .... solar system on my house ...

3 - 5kWh / 100Ah capacity Batteries
2 - 5KVA - 48V Inverters
16 - 385Wp solar panels
8 - 450Wp solar panels

Runs everything in the house (excluding AC units, electric water heater) and including pool pump and exterior lighting.
What kind of batteries?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Take one for a test drive and give an honest assessment of what you think after that. They are such a kick to drive. And consider the lack of maintenance on a decent EV as part of the equation as well.
If I could have a quiver I'd want one haha.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the info. I wonder if, in the coming years, there will be lines and frustration at charging stations, or will industry step up and meet the demand?
This is part of the reason I would really like to see a universal system.

The only place I consistently see lines is at the charger on Jamboree/Michelson in Irvine. There are a number of stores and an LA Fitness in that center, so it is popular. It is also slow, 72kw.

As more and more people go the EV route there will simply need to be more chargers. My guess is that some large apartment complexes will start to put them in. That would make lots of sense. I would think that in Orange County, where Teslas are ubiquitous, a charging station in a large complex (Somewhere like Park Newport, for instance) would be a draw.

This sounds pretty awful tbh

Sounds like the time to buy an electric car is probably 10 years from now.
That's what I thought 7 years ago.

Things have advanced to the point where I can make it work.

Like I said, refueling is something you have to think about with an EV.

But the only inconvenience is really the Mammoth drive, for me at least. And that is not even a big deal. I find that I actually like taking an extra 10 minute stop or two and decompressing. The drive to Mammoth in a Tesla really only adds about 15-20 minutes when compared to an ICE.

I will admit that I was apprehensive in June 2020. My first Mammoth trip in it, in November 2020, I was curious about whether it would be tenable. It is actually much easier than I thought it would be. My worries were essentially unfounded. It has actually been much easier than I anticipated. I don't ever find myself wishing I was driving an ICE.

But it is an adjustment. And it is also much easier in California than in other places.

The other side to it is that I absolutely love driving the car. We don't have the high performance edition, but it accelerates like you wouldn't believe. My wife has a Maserati, granted it is the Ghibli which is the poor man's Maserati, but when I drive that after driving my Tesla I feel like it is dragging an anchor. The Tesla accelerates SO much faster I can't even believe it. I have been converted, I really don't want to drive an ICE again. I mean the Maserati is simply TERRIBLE in comparison, I can't believe it cost more than the model 3. I love being able to blow past a truck on the 395 by going from 75 to 95 in the blink of an eye. Last spring on one drive up we had a funny experience where my wife was driving while I was getting some work done. I looked over at one point and asked her if she knew she was going 95, and not simply gunning it to pass a truck. She was shocked, she had no idea she was going that fast.

I simply hate driving my wife's car now. Hate might be a strong word, but my Tesla is by far the most fun car I have ever driven. And I don't even have the performance edition. I also love the fact that I can essentially search for any song that I want and generate a playlist based on that song. I like that I can do this by pressing the scroll button on the wheel and simply saying 'search music The Sex Pistols The Great Rock n' Roll Swindle' easily. I know some ICE cars have this feature too, but all in all I actually prefer the drive to Mammoth in the Tesla. Even if gas was 1.50 a gallon I would still prefer making the drive in this car.

The only car I have ever liked better was my Nissan Pathfinder that I drove in college and during my Tahoe years between college and grad school. Nothing will ever top that car, although much of that is for sentimental reasons.

If you prefer your adventures driving down in Baja....That might be a a ways off.

One concern I do have is the acceleration in an EV and the pickups that are coming out. A huge pickup truck that goes from 0-60 in 4 seconds is simply dangerous, as it is not meant to drive fast through a curve, it might be able to accelerate in a straight line, but it won't handle a curvy road. I can see some accidents from Rivian drivers who are gunning it at a yellow light and making a left turn and are not used to the acceleration. In fact I remember reading about one somewhere in Irvine recently where that is exactly what happened.

I also like that I don't have to worry about gas prices. I have not had to do an oil change :}. I was skeptical when I got it, but it has been better than I ever imagined. I think the only money I have spent on maintenance is rotating the tires and filling the wiper fluid.

As far as battery degradation, the range is slightly less than when I got it, but not really to a degree which is noticeable. In cold weather you do get less mileage. I haven't looked at any data on that, if you live in a cold climate it is something to be aware of.

I should add that the storage is reasonable. I can easily fit skis up to around 190 in the back if the seats are down. My day-to-day board is a 6'4" which is not a problem. The biggest board I ever surf is a 7'6" funshape which also fits. Obviously a longboard would be an issue, but that would be true of any sedan. One issue if you longboard is that taking long trips with racks would reduce range. Obviously this is more of a problem than with an ICE.

I'm going to add a note of caution for any of you that go the EV route and use your phone as a key. You can use your phone to open the car, but if you setup your phone as a key that can START the car you have to be careful. If you leave it in the car while you surf you need to put it in airplane mode, or it will automatically open the car, which can then be driven away. I don't use my phone for that, I start it with the key card that I can store in a lock box while I surf, but do be aware of that issue. They might have fixed it, but do some research before you set up your phone to be able to start the car.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Right now I can't charge one where I live, I'd want one that could go from Jax Beach to Sebastian (parents) without stopping - sounds done - and having swindled every car I've ever owned off my parents each time they re-up, I don't see myself shelling out the money.

But if it was legal to use the self-driving thingy everywhere and I could leave Jax Beach Friday after work and wake up Saturday morning in the Keys, the Panhandle, the Outer Banks, Snowshoe, Charleston, Great Smokies, New Orleans, etc. I'd have to rethink it.