Electric Tripping

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This.

Long term, price of oil is going up, period.

Scarcity + artificial scarcity will drive this via:

1) activist investors snagging positions on the boards of oil giants and pushing green initiatives (already happening)
2) serious lack of interest in initiating drilling new drilling projects in an increasingly unfriendly regulatory environment

Oil investors are now heavily involved in (often subsidized) green energy projects but they're sure as hell not selling or shutting down their infrastructure.

Because powering the world with green energy is still a pie in the sky and the goals being set are unrealistic...so-called green energy is still toxic as f*ck...but the subsidies to push green initiatives with no regard to efficiency will remain.

The bottom line is oil is still going to be running the planet for the long term

And constraints are placed on supply, and the more green initiatives are pushed, these guys will be winning 360 degrees.
If oil is still here for the long term and it's demise is not imminent, then reduced demand (people switching to EVs) should drive down prices. At least that's how the market should work. But I think oil compaines have ways of subverting the market.

On the other hand, though the demise of oil (petroleum) might not be imminent, it is guaranteed, and humanity would do well to start the process of weaning itself off the oily tit sooner rather than later. The nations that get ahead of this curve will be at a major advantage.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When (if?) we get off using petroleum for energy storage for most vehicles, there should be a big drop in demand. (Using petroleum as building block for other carbon chain molecules is probably a much better use for it.)

Be nice to see that in my lifetime.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If oil is still here for the long term and it's demise is not imminent, then reduced demand (people switching to EVs) should drive down prices.
Not if supply is constrained.

At least that's how the market should work. But I think oil compaines have ways of subverting the market.
Oil companies will not need to subvert the market because supply will continue to face constraints (likely increasing constraints) while demand faces modest decline.

Talk to pretty much anyone who knows about energy needs, energy investment, and green technologies - they will tell you there is no realistic green route to supply energy to the modern world on a majority scale for any forseeable future.

Oil will still be running sh!t.

Unless, of course Zuck's Metaverse vision works.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Not if supply is constrained.

Oil companies will not need to subvert the market because supply will continue to face constraints (likely increasing constraints) while demand faces modest decline.

Talk to pretty much anyone who knows about energy needs, energy investment, and green technologies - they will tell you there is no realistic green route to supply energy to the modern world on a majority scale for any forseeable future.
When I mentioned suberverting the market, the "constraints" are what I was alluding to. Articifical constraints as in cartel price fixing.

And the naysayers lack vision. Can you imagine someone in 1929 saying they were going to land a man on the moon in forty years? I'm not saying the transition is going to happen overnight or that it will be easy, but promoting inaction because you just don't see it yet is pretty shortsighted.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When I mentioned suberverting the market, the "constraints" are what I was alluding to. Articifical constraints as in cartel price fixing.
Artificial constraints?

The constraints are very real - a regulatory environment unfriendly to harvesting fossil fuels.

There will be no need to price fix anything.

As with every other industry facing increasing regulatory constraints the old players will hang on to what they have. There will be few, if any new players able to enter the market because smart investment capital won't go there.

And the naysayers lack vision. Can you imagine someone in 1929 saying they were going to land a man on the moon in forty years? I'm not saying the transition is going to happen overnight or that it will be easy, but promoting inaction because you just don't see it yet is pretty shortsighted.
Actually plenty of the naysayers are indeed the ones with the vision.

They have to balance what they know with what they're trying to produce and sell...and that balance is usually going to be tilted towards the latter.

Promoting inaction vs realistic plan.

Landing a man on the moon is minor, not to mention insignificant to a implementing a sea change in the way the world produces and uses energy.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Seems to me the price of oil has more to do with OPEC hand on the spigot than a regulatory environment.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Went on a trip this weekend. Joshua Tree -> Salton Sea -> Slab City -> Home. Over 1000 miles and small fortune in petrol, with 3.5 fillups for the SUV.

The drive from Joshua Tree to Salton Sea to Slab City had me thinking about EVs.

Where would I plugin? How many more hours would have been added to my road time on this trip? The drive home was just over 7 hours and I didn't get home until midnight. I was imagining having to pull over for 2+ hours to get a charge, making the drive time for home 9+ hours. Not to mention having to charge up on the way there. And having to drive out of Joshua Tree just to charge up again.

Reactions: Senor Sopa

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
According to this little website right here we have about 47 years left on the petroleum tit, could be mas o menos depending on a lot of things. We've been living the lavish lifestyle and gas has been too cheap in this country for a long time...at least that's what my petroleum geologist Republican dad always told me. But hey, let's just burn it up and move on to the next thing, right? Or as the loggers up here used to say 'Earth First! We'll log the rest of the planets later!'...maybe there's oil on Mars...that or something, 47 years will go by like a blink of an eye. And I think the move to electric/hybrid vehicles is a necessary step in the right direction.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Went on a trip this weekend. Joshua Tree -> Salton Sea -> Slab City -> Home. Over 1000 miles and small fortune in petrol, with 3.5 fillups for the SUV.

The drive from Joshua Tree to Salton Sea to Slab City had me thinking about EVs.

Where would I plugin? How many more hours would have been added to my road time on this trip? The drive home was just over 7 hours and I didn't get home until midnight. I was imagining having to pull over for 2+ hours to get a charge, making the drive time for home 9+ hours. Not to mention having to charge up on the way there. And having to drive out of Joshua Tree just to charge up again.
Drove the wife's Model 3 out to Indian Wells this past weekend (260 mi r/t). Full charge the night before. Had about 80 mi left when we got there.

On the way back home, we searched for charging stations on the screen, located one 30 mi away on the way home. Charged there for 10 min. Watched something on the screen ($10/mo for internet access in the car), then drove the rest of the way home. Easy.

Reactions: afoaf