Effects of Family Structure on Crime

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
you're right. your framing of the stats was so troubling that I did not fully read the
entirety of the post and missed your caveat re: widows.

there is still A LOT to unpack...

you can chip away at your "there by choice" argument at each statistical cohort;
do they not marry because the man cheated or fell off the wagon? did they initiate
divorce because the dude turned out to be a terrible spouse/father? is the onus for
unpredictable outcomes always placed on the woman?

why are single parent households 80+% headed by women? the court system does
NOT favor men....so how much of that is the legal framework predisposing the numbers
towards women?

I have no clue why you inserted the "acting morally superior to men" tidbit at the end.

were we talking about morality here? what impact does morality and your moralizing
over the problem have relative to the multitudinous socio-economic factors that also
come in to play?
Getting dangerously close to pulling on the armor here

Reactions: GDaddy

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Its amazing people still take Snopes seriously. That's some convoluted reasoning and technicalities to actually prove the 26 out of 27 thing false. The real rating should be "misleading" or whatever

• Haha
Reactions: FecalFace

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Getting dangerously close to pulling on the armor here
I'm glad I don't have to date in 2019. I'd have to go to church or political rallies in order to avoid the "equity" feminists. It's either that or go soi for the date. Which I'd really rather not do either. I don't know how many Portagee Catholics there are in my age bracket, so pulling that hat trick twice would be tough.

That makes it worth my while to actively solicit and engage with my wife's interests. Happy wife, happy life.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I also find the constant scapegoating and maligning of men bothersome.

it ranges from innocuous to quite insidious.

how much of media's stigmatization of dads as bumbling fools lowers
our own expectations of ourselves? I find women, particularly older
women to be the most sexist in this regard.

Reactions: Ifallalot

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You can't complain about broken families and crime rates when you support mass incarceration of Americans, particularly minorities for bullshit like the drug war.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Its amazing people still take Snopes seriously. That's some convoluted reasoning and technicalities to actually prove the 26 out of 27 thing false. The real rating should be "misleading" or whatever
If by "misleading" you mean an outright lie.

There're zero facts in that claim.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You can't complain about broken families and crime rates when you support mass incarceration of Americans, particularly minorities for bullshit like the drug war.
2M prisoners (total) for a population of 338M people isn't that much of a mass. Nor that big a factor when correlated to the 25M kids who live in a single parent household.

Of the 2M, most are not in prison for drug-related convictions. 33% of the convicts are in for drug-related crimes, so by the numbers that only means about ~600,000 convicts at any given time. Nor are most in for life. if the average stay is only 14 months then that includes a mix of longer and shorter sentences.

Stock versus flow

There is no disputing that incarceration for property and violent crimes is of huge importance to America’s prison population, but the standard analysis—including Alexander’s critics—fails to distinguish between the stock and flow of drug crime-related incarceration. In fact, there are two ways of looking at the prison population as it relates to drug crimes:

1. How many people experience incarceration as a result of a drug-related crime over a certain time period?
  2. What proportion of the prison population at a particular moment in time was imprisoned for a drug-related crime?

The answers will differ because the length of sentences varies by the kind of crime committed. As of 2009, the median incarceration time at state facilities for drug offenses was 14 months, exactly half the time for violent crimes. Those convicted of murder served terms of roughly 10 times greater length.

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Prove them wrong then mr smarty pants, instead of playing the ambiguous “everyone’s wrong but meeee” screech you constantly play.

Reactions: mundus

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
pointing to red states with a high divorce rate and trying to equate that
with fatherlessness, the core point being made, is disingenuous
In the Original Post Squidley leads off with "Do the broken families created by leftists..."

Broken families are not "created by leftists". The Huckabee-tier Uncle Sugar meme probably exists because only financial insolvency could make him or anyone else from his family remotely fuckable.

If whatever Squidley is prattling on about when he uses the term "broken families" was a leftist problem, like caring about Twitter or thinking Elizabeth Warren doesn't need a recession, war, or both to not tote an L against Donaldvs Trvmpivs, there would be a higher incidence of it in Blue States, and we'd have a starting point.

There's not, so we don't.

Reactions: FecalFace

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
If whatever Squidley is prattling on about when he uses the term "broken families" was a leftist problem, like caring about Twitter or thinking Elizabeth Warren doesn't need a recession, war, or both to not tote an L against Donaldvs Trvmpivs, there would be a higher incidence of it in Blue States, and we'd have a starting point.

There's not, so we don't.
The inconvenient truth.

Spouting all the mysygonistic crap without a shred of evidence, is a reflection on our resident bigots way more than on "leftist policies".

Last edited: