Drone vid of Great White coming too close in SA yesterday

baboon

OTF status
Nov 18, 2011

The footage was taken at 5pm yesterday evening. My friend is in the Blue Wetsuit with his kids. The 'Egg Beater had just paddled out and thought it was a dolphin before alerting them to 'something else.
The drone view makes it all look clear but the guys in the water never saw a thing, except the guy on the "raft.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
that is a cool vantage point,
trips me out that the last guy kept missing getting a wave in,
i was in oside at the harbor one morning and right in between me and two other guys all of a sudden a big shark was thrashing about with what looked like a bat ray or stingray, huge boils then splashing and thrashing, i yelled out is that a shark and both guys just put their heads down and started paddling to shore, i little bump of a wave was coming towards me and I paddled like i never paddled before climbing over the top of it and catching it in on my belly, the other two guys missed the wave but got the next one, their eyes were big as saucers and one of them almost ran me over on the inside when i stopped in waist deep water, they are out there and luckily the don't want to eat us....

Reactions: ~rwright~

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
they say the baby whites love to eat stingrays

shark in video was thinking "hmm, should i eat that?"

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
yep, the scary thing is how comfortable whites are cruising in very clear, very shallow water.

used to think clear water, sunny babyfood days were safe....now realise they are some of the most dangerous.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I wonder if drones could be good for shark attack prevention.

That dude is just cruising.

It doesn't seem like he's hunting.

But I'm sure he could change his mind fast.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
that is a cool vantage point,
trips me out that the last guy kept missing getting a wave in,
i was in oside at the harbor one morning and right in between me and two other guys all of a sudden a big shark was thrashing about with what looked like a bat ray or stingray, huge boils then splashing and thrashing, i yelled out is that a shark and both guys just put their heads down and started paddling to shore, i little bump of a wave was coming towards me and I paddled like i never paddled before climbing over the top of it and catching it in on my belly, the other two guys missed the wave but got the next one, their eyes were big as saucers and one of them almost ran me over on the inside when i stopped in waist deep water, they are out there and luckily the don't want to eat us....
Trips me out that he gave up on getting a ride in, and looked like he was paddling back out

• Wow
Reactions: b.r.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I wonder if drones could be good for shark attack prevention.

That dude is just cruising.

It doesn't seem like he's hunting.

But I'm sure he could change his mind fast.
they use drones here.

there is some success.

but sharks only have to swim a little bit deeper in turbid water or overcast conditions and they can';t be spotted.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I think there's a need for an internationally recognised "alert" behaviour / movement from a drone to indicate "murder torpedo nearby" ?

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Videos like this make me feel better. The more I see sharks not eat people, the more my brain can take in the reality of the odds. Making up for only having seen sharks through shark week for so long.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Some Australian dude makes YouTube videos as "ybsyoungbloods" and the guy swims after tiger sharks and sea snakes and scary shlt like that. Never gets eaten. It's reassuring.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
I really hate these videos. makes you realize how many times youve probably been thats close to these things without knowing it.
true.

I was staying with a hippie swedish girl south of byron a few years back, decided to surf the beachbreak through the snaky woods behind her house. Not a person in sight in either direction, waves were glassy, water clear and blue. Paddled out and there were some sets sort of feathering off the outside sandbar while I was paddling out, so I continued and dove through the last wave of the set. Then no more sets came and I realized i was pretty far from shore, not a person in either direction. Sat there for a while, tweedle deee tweedle da, a spooky feeling started to come over me. A helicopter flew past me, and then flew back, and hovered in a small circle overhead. I paddled straight in.