Drone vid of Great White coming too close in SA yesterday

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
true.

I was staying with a hippie swedish girl south of byron a few years back, decided to surf the beachbreak through the snaky woods behind her house. Not a person in sight in either direction, waves were glassy, water clear and blue. Paddled out and there were some sets sort of feathering off the outside sandbar while I was paddling out, so I continued and dove through the last wave of the set. Then no more sets came and I realized i was pretty far from shore, not a person in either direction. Sat there for a while, tweedle deee tweedle da, a spooky feeling started to come over me. A helicopter flew past me, and then flew back, and hovered in a small circle overhead. I paddled straight in.
Tallows (?) = sharky.

Reactions: SharkBoy

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
true.

I was staying with a hippie swedish girl south of byron a few years back, decided to surf the beachbreak through the snaky woods behind her house. Not a person in sight in either direction, waves were glassy, water clear and blue. Paddled out and there were some sets sort of feathering off the outside sandbar while I was paddling out, so I continued and dove through the last wave of the set. Then no more sets came and I realized i was pretty far from shore, not a person in either direction. Sat there for a while, tweedle deee tweedle da, a spooky feeling started to come over me. A helicopter flew past me, and then flew back, and hovered in a small circle overhead. I paddled straight in.
I don't surf those back bars anymore.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A suggested vid after that one was recent in Malibu, munching a dolphin

That may not be Malibu, but I remember once getting a notice that the Monterrey Bay Aquarium had a GWS on view and when I read about it, I discovered they caught it off Malibu. I then went on to read that Malibu is a breeding ground for GWS.

The next day I was dawn patrolling a nearby spot during a big but very lully south swell. So I was sitting way, way outside, in totally calm water, in the half light of dawn, by myself, thinking about the mama GWSs lurking around ...o_O

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
So we need to kill a bunch of orcas, and make sure the great whites see us do it. Establish dominance in this food chain!