Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I've never met Drew, I find his art to be a pale comparison to Rick Griffin's, and I will never ride or own a ...lost board.

Just today on the radio there were stats read that you have a 15X greater chance of dying by not being vaxed.

We got side-tracked with all the weed talk on this thread - but I'm glad that Drew is on the mends... and I enjoyed the clip of him and Mason coloring his board.

Heal up Drew.

Reactions: toPBk

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I've never met Drew, I find his art to be a pale comparison to Rick Griffin's, and I will never ride or own a ...lost board.

Just today on the radio there were stats read that you have a 15X greater chance of dying by not being vaxed.

We got side-tracked with all the weed talk on this thread - but I'm glad that Drew is on the mends... and I enjoyed the clip of him and Mason coloring his board.

Heal up Drew.
Would you say it's unfair to compare anyone to Griffin? His stuff left a profound impact on so many, and it was an entirely different time/era. So tough to make a living as an artist these days. Even tougher than pre-internet probably.

Reactions: santacruzin

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
I probably missed a bunch of stuff here.

And for background I'm a pro-vaccine, covid believing, scientist (who's also vaxxed to the gills has been travelling a bunch to surf and compete in pajama wrestling events (BJJ) last 7 months)...

I have no connection to Drew.. other that we both surf and probably have many mutual acquaintances...

I don't get it why anybody, even us who are anti - anti-vax folks, would not be anything more than stoked to hear he is doing some degree better... I'm not overly sensitive but rooting against any non foil riding in regular lineup kook or even mocking them - or not celebrating their doing better seems like our politics and Covid opinions have trumped our basic decency.

(says the guy who laughed at Steamroller's post... but I think we should all celebrate)

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
hes going to try a new experimental drug!?...

i wonder whats in it? :socrazy:
We got approval for an experimental drug called Aviptadil. It's very promising to quicken his healing. I've had to go through a lengthy process to get it approved; hours of research, paperwork and phone calls. Finally, it's been ordered and when they give it to him, his healing will be even faster.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
So Mr Brophy was in an induced coma - for weeks - and somehow acquired revelations as to "how EVERYTHING works" - ?

Bullsheet.

He probably doesn't remember a damn thing.

It's a long road back from a serious Covid 19 infection to a functional human being, he will need all the help he can get from medical science.

It wasn't thoughts and prayers to Sky Daddy that got him out of the ICU.

And just think - all of this, the time, the massive expense, the emotional drama, the weeks of induced coma, could have been avoided with a safe and effective FREE vaccine.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So Mr Brophy was in an induced coma - for weeks - and somehow acquired revelations as to "how EVERYTHING works" - ?

Bullsheet.
I cringed.

This is called the pretty picture someone paints when their loved one is seriously fvcked.

And just think - all of this, the time, the massive expense, the emotional drama, the weeks of induced coma, could have been avoided with a safe and effective FREE vaccine.
It's not a guarantee.

But yeah, it must suck knowing that.

Anyway, I am glad to see it looks like he's going to make it and is apparently communicating.

Haiku

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 8, 2005
We got approval for an experimental drug called Aviptadil. It's very promising to quicken his healing. I've had to go through a lengthy process to get it approved; hours of research, paperwork and phone calls. Finally, it's been ordered and when they give it to him, his healing will be even faster.
Now is a great time
for her to promote vaccines
But I bet she won't.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

Bullsheet.
Judging by these here flip-flops, Brophy is a Buddhist

321F6FAD-96E7-40DB-93B7-DA858F37DC8A.jpeg

So either he’ll start painting pictures of the twelve link chain of dependent origination or he’ll strike out on his own like L. Ron Hubbard and paint pictures of big bug-eyed aliens or some sh!t. Either way I wish him a speedy recovery and lucrative religious life.

• Haha
Reactions: r32

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't get the wishing of good health to a sick stranger online.

It seems like a virtue signal to me.

Kind of like, "I think hitler was a bad man" or "I think it's wrong to be cruel to dogs."

What I think doesn't matter.

So you don't think I am heartless, I am devastated by BI's ALS diagnosis.

And I only know him from what he posted here.

But it really bummed me out and I wish I could do something.

bogusmedia

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 17, 2008
santa bruta
www.morganmaassen.com
like our politics and Covid opinions have trumped our basic decency.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

imagine if the vaccine, and belief in covid hadn't become political

its soul-crushing as a 31 year old, to see so many people in our society fight the collective intelligence and ability of the scientific world. to see fear and religion trump scientific and technological advancement and problem-solving. my generation already deals with enough mounting fiscal, political, environmental issues.

but lets donate to the kickstarter with a 150k goal for one person who needs treatment for a virus that has a proven vaccine... because Obamacare death panels or something.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I don't get the wishing of good health to a sick stranger online.

It seems like a virtue signal to me.

Kind of like, "I think hitler was a bad man" or "I think it's wrong to be cruel to dogs."

What I think doesn't matter.

So you don't think I am heartless, I am devastated by BI's ALS diagnosis.

And I only know him from what he posted here.

But it really bummed me out and I wish I could do something.
I think what you think matters.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

imagine if the vaccine, and belief in covid hadn't become political

its soul-crushing as a 31 year old, to see so many people in our society fight the collective intelligence and ability of the scientific world. to see fear and religion trump scientific and technological advancement and problem-solving. my generation already deals with enough mounting fiscal, political, environmental issues.

but lets donate to the kickstarter with a 150k goal for one person who needs treatment for a virus that has a proven vaccine... because Obamacare death panels or something.
Take that imagined scenario and end up with results the same, or worse. Sure, politics stopped some people from getting vaccinated. On the other hand, the politicization of the vaccine effort must have resulted in a number of people getting vaccinated that otherwise wouldn't have.

There must be people who made the decision "I don't know or understand, but I trust the people who don't trust or like Donald Trump, and I trust television news doctors implicitly, so I'll do anything they say" and just as many of them as there have been "I don't trust the liberals, they'll turn the frogs gay, I didn't get the shingles vaccine and I'm not getting this one, not tryina get autism"

political bullshlt game is played both ways, damn near evenly in the united states. The players are easy to identify by their "the people who don't come to the same conclusion as me are stupid or evil. It is not possible that what is best for them, and what is best for me, are different" attitude, and the coupled unwillingness to accept that the unknown is unknown, it is not their unrealized fear waiting to play out if everyone doesn't do what they say.

We are all guessing and gambling here. Some of us are just being honest about it.