Done with Xcel. Need a new warm hooded 5/4

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
After 20 years of wearing Xcel suits my last two kinda suck. Bought new 4/3 and 5/4 hooded Drylocks last year and they both leak in the seat and just aren't as warm as they used to be. Sent them back to have seats re-sealed but no improvement. Think the tape is now narrower and the seat stretches and leaks at the edges of the tape. My prior 5/4 Drylock was really warm and lasted me several years through some really cold winters but this one just isn't working.

What brand 5/4 hooded should I look at it? Medium Xcels fit me perfectly. Needs to have smoothskin as we frequently have strong off shores along with air temps in 20s and 30s and water in low 40s. Would consider one of the fancy custom Japanese neoprene ones but not sure where I'd even get that on the east coast or how they do in the wind.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Had same experience with more recent Xcels. Like my Feral 6/5/4 quite a bit. Haven't noticed wind issues without the smooth skin. Lighter than a 5/4 Xcel Drylock (particularly when wet). Surfed 2 two-hour sessions yesterday and suit was good.

If you want a Japanese one, easy to get a Cyber (though unlikely he has a 5/4 in stock). cyberwetsuits@gmail.com Those are even warmer - but a bit heavier.

I'm in NY too. Water is freaking cold this year. Wasn't bad early on but dropped like a rock. Probably as cold as it's been in 7 years or so?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Check out Feral or Volte. It's hard to buy a suit right now.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
For some reason 2015 sticks in my head as a really cold winter so like 6 years ago.

Will check out the Feral.

Had same experience with more recent Xcels. Like my Feral 6/5/4 quite a bit. Haven't noticed wind issues without the smooth skin. Lighter than a 5/4 Xcel Drylock (particularly when wet). Surfed 2 two-hour sessions yesterday and suit was good.

If you want a Japanese one, easy to get a Cyber (though unlikely he has a 5/4 in stock). cyberwetsuits@gmail.com Those are even warmer - but a bit heavier.

I'm in NY too. Water is freaking cold this year. Wasn't bad early on but dropped like a rock. Probably as cold as it's been in 7 years or so?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
After 20 years of wearing Xcel suits my last two kinda suck. Bought new 4/3 and 5/4 hooded Drylocks last year and they both leak in the seat and just aren't as warm as they used to be. Sent them back to have seats re-sealed but no improvement. Think the tape is now narrower and the seat stretches and leaks at the edges of the tape. My prior 5/4 Drylock was really warm and lasted me several years through some really cold winters but this one just isn't working.

What brand 5/4 hooded should I look at it? Medium Xcels fit me perfectly. Needs to have smoothskin as we frequently have strong off shores along with air temps in 20s and 30s and water in low 40s. Would consider one of the fancy custom Japanese neoprene ones but not sure where I'd even get that on the east coast or how they do in the wind.
Me too! I have Xcel now and my ass is getting frostbitten right off the bone :( My last C-Skin suit was great. Getting one for next season.

Reactions: Bman76
Mar 1, 2010
my new oneill psychotech is really good. the flexibility and weight is so much better then xcel. probably not as warm but i get cold pretty easy and surfed sunday for over 2 hrs with air around 25 and water 42ish. pulled off suit and steam was pouring out.
oneills also fit me really well. xcels fit people with a little extra around the waist

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I had the 5/4 excel lasted a year and a half with mostly minimal use. this year has been extra cold so it has been used a lot as of late and the seams glue has become porous. It is colder than my 2-year-old Quicksiler cheap suit that leaks in the crotch. It also flushed into a water balloon the last time out.

replaced it with a hyperfreak, didn't even need to take a hot shower to warm-up today. And it is warmer than the Feral I had a few years ago.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I guess I'm sort of SOL for this winter but will have to pick up an Oneill or similar when wetsuits are available again...

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I just picked up a Psychotech hooded 5/4, I haven't worn yet, if it's anything like the Hyperfreak hooded 5/4 I'm going to be stoked for sure! I really love the techno butter, and the Hyperfreak made me an Oneill fan again.

bobsacamano

OTF status
Apr 9, 2016
I'm in the same boat switching from Xcel. Picked up a 4/3 Hyperfreak yesterday. Last one in my size. I wanted a Psycho One, but I'll take what I can get right now. Tried on a Mutant Legacy, but was not into it.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Extrapolating from recent experience, I'd say O'Neill Psychotech hooded 5/4. My non hooded 5/4 has 200+ days on the clock with zero leaks.

They're so flexible that a 6/4 would be excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnson7

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My only concern is coming from wearing O'Neills in the 80s/90s that they were a little tight in the crotch. I always speculated the Jack O'Neill lost more than his eye.

Reactions: djbmannspeed72