Done with Xcel. Need a new warm hooded 5/4

Mar 1, 2010
I'm in the same boat switching from Xcel. Picked up a 4/3 Hyperfreak yesterday. Last one in my size. I wanted a Psycho One, but I'll take what I can get right now. Tried on a Mutant Legacy, but was not into it.
mutant was on my list as my next one.. need to refill my wetuit quiver moving from thickest down

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I couldn't motivate myself to do the polar bear surfing thing when I lived in NYC (looked miserable) so I don’t have experience with >4mil... but I will say that once you go yamamoto rubber like Isurus or Feral, I think it'd be hard to go back. I wish I would've pulled the trigger years ago. bonus: it dries a lot quicker overnight since it doesn't absorb as much water. My Isurus is worth every penny IMO.

It does look like Isurus is using smooth skin again, and makes me curious?

Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
My only concern is coming from wearing O'Neills in the 80s/90s that they were a little tight in the crotch. I always speculated the Jack O'Neill lost more than his eye.
LOl I feel that with Xcel! Had a couple with the same problem. I actually liked the suits but that was annoying.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I've now tried two Isurus. I really want to like them and I suppose there is a lot to like there...

But they CANNOT compete with a Hyperfreak on any dimension except for maybe drying time

They are so close to nailing it but unfortunately, they are just way more expensive, much more restrictive, flush significantly more, and aren't really warmer than a Hyperfreak.

Jul 4, 2006
New England
+1 for the Feral 6/5/4. My prior two suits were also drylock 5/4's and the Feral is a better suit in almost every way. I had it out in strong wind with 10-13 degree air temp/41 degree water the other day and the lack of smoothy was absolutely not an issue. The neoprene feels more dense, and it also dries almost completely overnight. The suit relies far more on stitched seams than glued seams, and I think that'll give it better longevity because I also had the drylock seam failure once the glue started to separate.

For what its worth, the Medium xcel fit me perfectly and the medium feral is almost a dead match in sizing; the only minor difference is the lack of a pre-molded knee bend, so there's a minor amount of bunching in my knee-pitts, but maybe thats just me.

Their pricing model is actually pretty weird too; I'd consider them a bit expensive for a 3/2 or 4/3, but their 5/4 and 6/5/4 are a steal compared to the other similar suits on the market.

Reactions: daave and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Their pricing model is actually pretty weird too; I'd consider them a bit expensive for a 3/2 or 4/3, but their 5/4 and 6/5/4 are a steal compared to the other similar suits on the market.
Does feral use the same Yamamoto (#40 or whatever) rubber on the thicker suits? I imagine the low water absorption would make it warmer than other rubber

Jul 4, 2006
New England
Does feral use the same Yamamoto (#40 or whatever) rubber on the thicker suits? I imagine the low water absorption would make it warmer than other rubber
Based on their website they use the #40 yamamoto, not that I could tell you anything about what that means other than that seems to be the gold standard for wetsuit rubber.

I obviously haven't tried every suit, but its the best suit I've tried.

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Two choices:

1. Isurus, as started by Jim B but know he's no longer there.

OR

2. Jim's new company since he split with Isurus: Winterleaf Wetsuits. www.winterleaf.surf

Same great guy, new great company.