Dog lovers - i get it now

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I had dogs before... but it was basically my mom's dogs and I was simply living there too. You love them, they love you, but you're not the one.

Having your own dog is something else... I feel like a new father drooling all over the baby. It feels so good when people stop you on the street because they want to pet your adorable little furry friend. And they always ask what breed it is and weirdly enough I feel really good when I tell them he has no defined breed and is a rescue.

I'm sitting on my desk working and he's lying on my feet, stays here most of the day. How crazy is it that these little animals love us so much...

IMG_5707.jpeg

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I’m maybe coming down to the last of it with another of my pups. He has a very expensive leg that was operated on about 4 years ago. It gave out on him a few nights ago. He couldn’t get to his feet and he was shaking. He was in obvious pain last night. The only place he would settle was in the recliner with me. So thats where we spent the night. I talked the Doc into some opiates. He’s walking again. Howling/barking for his breakfast. Wagging his tail and licking my face. He’s going to break my heart. But maybe not just yet. I wish we could do it all over again.

This is the day I sprung him from The Big House. He literally had a few hours left to live. He’d been adopted and returned 4 times. Smart and eager to please. Nothing wrong with him.

1714252623826.jpeg

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I’m maybe coming down to the last of it with another of my pups. He has a very expensive leg that was operated on about 4 years ago. It gave out on him a few nights ago. He couldn’t get to his feet and he was shaking. He was in obvious pain last night. The only place he would settle was in the recliner with me. So thats where we spent the night. I talked the Doc into some opiates. He’s walking again. Howling/barking for his breakfast. Wagging his tail and licking my face. He’s going to break my heart. But maybe not just yet. I wish we could do it all over again.

This is the day I sprung him from The Big House. He literally had a few hours left to live. He’d been adopted and returned 4 times. Smart and eager to please. Nothing wrong with him.

View attachment 179058
No better way to get over having to put a dog down than getting another one. Never endless supply of dogs that need a home. Props to you for saving this one.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

View attachment 179058
Can’t tell you how sorry I am to hear that bro. At least he’s mobile and eating again. I’m going to pray for you guys.

Shelter dogs and the people who adopt them are the best. Ulrich had been there years? I don’t get to walk him anymore bc he lives with a nice lady on a farm now with livestock to herd and a three legged chihuahua as a new best friend.
IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0416.jpeg

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

View attachment 179058
I'm sad for your current situation but am more happy that there are people like you in this world.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

View attachment 179058
Send me your leftover dog biscuit tramadol.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

View attachment 179058
lately I have found myself pondering the saying, "'Tis better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all."

true, i think, but i reckon it's a close call

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA

View attachment 179058
Has your vet given you any indication of the cost of surgery and what the prognosis might be after a successful surgery? My heart breaks for you and your buddy. PM me if you’d prefer not to put the details to the public. John

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Has your vet given you any indication of the cost of surgery and what the prognosis might be after a successful surgery? My heart breaks for you and your buddy. PM me if you’d prefer not to put the details to the public. John
Ten years ago, we had a big 11 yr old dog that tore its ACL. The vet said that it would cost $2k and there was no guarantee it would take. I hear now that this operation costs double.

Reactions: john4surf

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Ten years ago, we had a big 11 yr old dog that tore its ACL. The vet said that it would cost $2k and there was no guarantee it would take. I hear now that this operation costs double.
Our doodle was excited at our neighbor’s visit. She happily was running circles around us despite my cautioning her to stop. She let out a yelp and lifted her right rear leg and started limping. Vet, x-rays, vet surgeon, pills (Costco will fill vet prescriptions at a much lower price than clinics). You’re absolutely correct that the cost of ACL has doubled ghostshaper. The doodle has fully recovered but we no longer play fetch and try to minimize hyperactivity. Worth every penny. 9 years old and a joy for the entire family (grand kids seem to always go to Kona before us when they visit ). JohnIMG_5915.jpegIMG_5430.jpeg

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Money isn't really the issue. I think it was in 2000 that he had a "left stifle arthroscopy and TPLO" So he has a plate/screws etc. Major work. I found the best guy I could get. Cost me almost 6 grand. I slept on the floor next to him for almost a month during recovery. Without going into details, I'm not sure my son would be around if not for this little dog. So I owe him. But the clock is ticking. I think he's 11 now. Short walks only. Swims. I have other dogs that he socializes with. My kids come over to the house now with their dogs. He even has a cat that is his buddy. I can't see putting him through another major surgery like that if it became necessary due to his age. But never say never. The good news is he is getting better. Given that he was getting better I opted out of the x-ray for now. Not because of cost, because I didn't want him man handled into position and go through general anesthesia. We will see. He is the most relentlessly happy/positive being I have ever run into. He had to be considering what he went through before he came to my house. He's converted a LOT of people that hated pit bulls. They all hurt and they're all special. This guy is a little extra.

But for now, the good news is he seems to be improving. So, as my wife says, we ride this wave as far as we can. Today is going to be a good day.

And lol, no Auto, you can't have Bert's drugs.

And here's a young Bert for your troubles...

1714317972629.jpeg

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Yup. He was a lean 125. Moved like an 80 pound dog. Alpha as fuck. Pretty much divided the world into friends/family and good-for-killing. Super gentle with the kids. I’d love another one but it’s a lot of liability. Zero mistakes.