Dinosaur Jr Belly Up

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Awesome that you actually went to the show. It was def a good one. I managed to hang at the side of the stage and the sound was almost pleasant.
It’s the highs that go through your ears like an ice pick.

room that size they need beam blockers.

I see the heads glowing but I really wonder if they’re all running the signal. That many 12’s will throw so much bass around the small room it’s no wonder some songs became inaudible. what is getting mic’d, and is it actually running into the PA?

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
It’s the highs that go through your ears like an ice pick.

room that size they need beam blockers.

I see the heads glowing but I really wonder if they’re all running the signal. That many 12’s will throw so much bass around the small room it’s no wonder some songs became inaudible. what is getting mic’d, and is it actually running into the PA?
Who the hell knows what's going on up there. Those were rental cabs, so I assume he's running all of them.
If you look closely, he's got a Fender twin pointing directly at his head as a sort of monitor, I guess.
They actually sounded great

Reactions: sdsrfr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've heard Dinosaur Jr shows are LOUD. Right up there with bands like Motorhead, My Bloody Valentine and the Melvins.
'83 I saw Motorhead at the Arlington theater SB turned up to 11. Still loudest show I ever been to with 2nd place going to Iron Maiden at the cow palace SF "huge venue big amps":bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
I used to record " mic stand recorder in open" live music and almost all venues unless hurting for room the soundman is in the sweet spot. Or you find the perfect triangle "sweet spot" by looking at the distance from stage left and right amp stacks and you distance your self same from center:cheers:

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I saw them with Comets on Fire and Dead Meadow at the Great American Music Hall years ago. Incredible triple bill but my ears were blown out by the time Dino took the stage.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
...often sitting just behind the band.

You left that part out :ROFLMAO:

Can't imagine seeing Motorhead live:love:

Intense!
If a venue places a sound guy behind band on stage then the venue has really crappy sound and unless you really love band most likely not worth going:toilet:

Reactions: npsp

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Who the hell knows what's going on up there. Those were rental cabs, so I assume he's running all of them.
If you look closely, he's got a Fender twin pointing directly at his head as a sort of monitor, I guess.
They actually sounded great
From the ex roadies I know from the boomer era rock star bands, a lot of those stacks were just for looks once PA’s became a thing.

No actual guitar signal routed through them.

I recall some pretty big names were showing a wall of Marshall cabs but actually playin through a dimed fender tweed mic’s into the PA.

if you actually had that loud of sound on stage you would not be able to hear the drums or even the mix of your monitors.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'd say it's pretty common - to the side and just behind
Never said it was not common but I did say it was a sign of bad acoustics at venue but most people dgaf and talk or look at cell during show. Ventura theater is perfect example of sweet spot. If you go by stage or back of room etc sounds like a$$$ but stand by sound board and it sounds pretty good.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Never said it was not common but I did say it was a sign of bad acoustics at venue but most people dgaf and talk or look at cell during show. Ventura theater is perfect example of sweet spot. If you go by stage or back of room etc sounds like a$$$ but stand by sound board and it sounds pretty good.
Hows the Oxnard PACC?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Imo, the trick is to watch the show from wherever the sound board is.

Regardless of venue and acoustics, the guy setting the mix is the guy to stand next to.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Imo, the trick is to watch the show from wherever the sound board is.

Regardless of venue and acoustics, the guy setting the mix is the guy to stand next to.
Yep unless its on the side of the stage then you are in a venue who does not give a fuk about sand. I used to almost always set up my mic stands next to sound guy and some times get a sound board patch to show unless festival then I would use triangle method in front of board :shaka:

Reactions: sdsrfr

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I've heard Dinosaur Jr shows are LOUD. Right up there with bands like Motorhead, My Bloody Valentine and the Melvins.
I saw Dino Jr and the Melvins at the 40 Watt back in the day in Athens. Toilet paper stuffed and stuffed in my ears but really it did no good - and my hearing sux to this day. I heard that the Athens MBV show literally had people walking out w/ears bleeding. Good times!

Reactions: npsp and $kully

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I saw Dino Jr and the Melvins at the 40 Watt back in the day in Athens. Toilet paper stuffed and stuffed in my ears but really it did no good - and my hearing sux to this day. I heard that the Athens MBV show literally had people walking out w/ears bleeding. Good times!
EDIT; Speaking of MBV - this Austin shoegaze band, Ringo Deathstarr - absolutely, positively kicks ass.
They're playing Atlanta April 30 - and I'm so going.

Jan 15, 2023
There are two shows that i distinctly remember being particularly loud;
1) At the Hollywood Palace in mid 80s some Black Flag splintered group (think that they were called 'All')....had to go towards the street to relieve auditory compression!
2) 1992 Neil Young Ragged Glory tour (with Social Distortion) at SD Sports Arena...Neil was into these 15 minute feedback sessions at the end of many songs.......Sports Arena always had shoddy acoustics so this tested one's patience....think Neil made an entire album of the feedback....called 'Arc' or "Weld'

Reactions: Belchfire1

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Loudest show I've ever heard/seen live, without question, was AC/DC on their "Razors Edge" tour at the San Diego Sports Arena in 1991.

Last edited: