Dick's Has Balls

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
and the 2nd Amendment snowflakes don't know what to do!

https://bearingarms.com/micah-r/2018/04/16/heres-dicks-sporting-goods-unsold-assault-style-rifles/

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
jbd said:
From what I've heard, Dick's is just selling those guns under another one of their brands.
Nice PR move though.
The "article" says Dick's is destroying them.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
jbd said:
From what I've heard, Dick's is just selling those guns under another one of their brands.
Nice PR move though.
Only other brand I’m aware of affiliated with dicks is field and stream, who are doing the same in regards to company policy.

Unfortunately many are mixing up the store field and stream with the magazine, which have no affiliation.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
Well at least they are doing something I guess. I've never really been one to get anything hunting related from one of the big chain stores anyway. Rather support a local shop. Academy, Sport Authority, Dicks....basically walmarts of the sports world.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
StuAzole said:

https://bearingarms.com/micah-r/2018/04/16/heres-dicks-sporting-goods-unsold-assault-style-rifles/
Dicks can do whatever they want. Many on the left don’t seem to understand something that a vast majority of normal people do, that support of a particular right doesn’t mean compulsory exercise of that right.

Just because someone likes guns and understands that the 2nd amendment protects the rights of citizens to own gun it doesn’t mean that anyone should be forced to buy, or sell guns.

Dicks can do whatever they want.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
jbd said:
Well at least they are doing something I guess. I've never really been one to get anything hunting related from one of the big chain stores anyway. Rather support a local shop. Academy, Sport Authority, Dicks....basically walmarts of the sports world.
Dicks is the FireWire of sporting goods.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Duffy said:
jbd said:
Are small, expensive sporting shops the MAGA of retail?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Duffy said:
StuAzole said:

Dicks can do whatever they want. Many on the left don’t seem to understand something that a vast majority of normal people do, that support of a particular right doesn’t mean compulsory exercise of that right.

Just because someone likes guns and understands that the 2nd amendment protects the rights of citizens to own gun it doesn’t mean that anyone should be forced to buy, or sell guns.

Dicks can do whatever they want.
I think you've got that backwards. The article was written by people on the right. Crying about Dick's and its policies. Wah. Dick's did exactly what it wanted without the left pushing them to do it.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/28/news/companies/dicks-weapon-ban/index.html

"The hunt business is an important part of the business, no doubt about it. And we know there will be some backlash," he said.

But he said he and other executives at the company were moved by the Parkland school shooting survivors' push for gun control measures.

"As we sat and talked about it with our management team, it was -- to a person -- that this is what we need to do," he said. "These kids talk about enough is enough. We concluded if these kids are brave enough to organize and do what they're doing, we should be brave enough to take this stand."

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The article was written by people on the right. Crying about Dick's and its policies. Wah. Dick's did exactly what it wanted without the left pushing them to do it.
You have point there. I didn’t see anything in the article that mentioned forcing dicks to sell AR15s though. But yeah, some pro gun lobbying group is going to feign butthurt so they can get clicks and make money on more donations. I’m not a gun nut and I don’t particularly like gun nuts either. But gun nuts make up a very small portion of gun owners. Something that we’d all be wise to understand.

Dicks might run afoul of age discrimination laws with their 21 and over policy btw, but I personally don’t really think 18 year olds should be able to buy guns (or vote for that matter).

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
StuAzole said:
Duffy said:
jbd said:
I miss local, family run sporting goods stores.

we had great little league shops in la mesa and lemon grove that
are forever gone.

you get zero help at Dick's Authority....Amazon will eventually crush
them anyway.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
afoaf said:
StuAzole said:
Duffy said:
jbd said:
I miss local, family run sporting goods stores.

we had great little league shops in la mesa and lemon grove that
are forever gone.

you get zero help at Dick's Authority....Amazon will eventually crush
them anyway.
those stores were killed by Sports Chalet decades ago.
use to rent skies from a local shop. Knew the family. Then Sports Chalet open and they closed a few years later. now the location they were at has been a continuous reinvention of either a new restaurant or a pub.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Duffy said:
The article was written by people on the right. Crying about Dick's and its policies. Wah. Dick's did exactly what it wanted without the left pushing them to do it.
You have point there. I didn’t see anything in the article that mentioned forcing dicks to sell AR15s though. But yeah, some pro gun lobbying group is going to feign butthurt so they can get clicks and make money on more donations. I’m not a gun nut and I don’t particularly like gun nuts either. But gun nuts make up a very small portion of gun owners. Something that we’d all be wise to understand.

Dicks might run afoul of age discrimination laws with their 21 and over policy btw, but I personally don’t really think 18 year olds should be able to buy guns (or vote for that matter).
The gun nuts are the ones who shouldn't own guns. Perhaps an annual competency (mental, safety, marksmanship, etc.) evaluation should be mandated for anyone who wants to own a gun. :shrug:

As far as 18 year olds, I think there is something wrong about being old enough to join the military but not old enough to vote.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
jbd said:
Agreed completely. But I go there out of convenience/not many other options. I’ve actually scored some killer deals on my shotguns.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Its a free country. They can do anything they want with them. Pretty stupid thing to do when they could probably negotiate a return or exchange with the manufacturer or wholesale them. If I were a stockholder I probably wouldn't be too happy with the waste of a hell of a lot of money.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GromsDad said:
Its a free country. They can do anything they want with them. Pretty stupid thing to do when they could probably negotiate a return or exchange with the manufacturer or wholesale them. If I were a stockholder I probably wouldn't be too happy with the waste of a hell of a lot of money.
that big of volume, probably not. gun manufactures have been hurting on sales as of rest of Parkland. they probably don't want to take back the inventory. From a stockholder prospective.......immaterial write off.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Kento said:
Duffy said:

The gun nuts are the ones who shouldn't own guns. Perhaps an annual competency (mental, safety, marksmanship, etc.) evaluation should be mandated for anyone who wants to own a gun. :shrug:

As far as 18 year olds, I think there is something wrong about being old enough to join the military but not old enough to vote.
In California you have to pass a test to buy a gun. Admittedly, it’s easy to pass (but I’m pretty sure the anti-gunners here would fail it).

Also, you can join the military at 17. Voting? Not so much.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Duffy said:

Probably right on the age thing - it's up to each state to set the minimum age and they can't carve out their own rules. Maybe they know this and it's just a PR stunt or maybe they'll decide just not to sell guns at all if they can't limit sales to those over 21.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Duffy said:
Kento said:
Duffy said:

In California you have to pass a test to buy a gun. Admittedly, it’s easy to pass (but I’m pretty sure the anti-gunners here would fail it).

Also, you can join the military at 17. Voting? Not so much.
Considering some of the people who own guns, it can't be that hard to pass. :roflmao:

Funny you brought up the voting at 17. Interesting to note that the Kobach-lapdogs are up in arms about illegals voting but no mention of underage voting. Couldn't be because they're racist bags of sh!t. :thought:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Funny you brought up the voting at 17.
In the context that at 17 you can serve in the military but you can’t vote. Other people who can serve in the military but can’t vote...

Non-citizens
Felons

As for illegal voting, my personal opinion is that if there is illegal voting going on it isn’t done by a bunch of ineligible people. That’s too hard. It would be done by a few individuals who just stuff ballot boxes or hack voting machines.

That and people casting multiple votes under different names. I vote absentee and I can register to vote without showing any proof of ID. So theoretically my three cats, 13 year old son, two wives and my surfboard that I named “Billy” could cast the absentee ballots that are theoretically sent to me.