Diamond tails

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We are from different eras

The better Twin fin has existed for a Very long time

Marketing and media has held customers back from enjoying that till recently

My era was always looking for the better - more fun board to ride , all shapes , sizes and fin set ups
Sometimes it sounds like you have found that better-more fun board...and therefore have stopped looking for the better.

Do you experiment with unknown, untested elements?

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Sometimes it sounds like you have found that better-more fun board...and therefore have stopped looking for the better.

Do you experiment with unknown, untested elements?
He came up with this.not so long ago.
0AC0F174-A809-49F3-BC5C-33019F61C767.jpeg

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I will say - as someone that designs and makes/manufacturers ”things” as a profession - there is no substitute for direct experience, so history and precedence be damned if economically feasible and you’re smart about it when creating a something.

As to surfboards specifically - everyone is standing on the shoulders of giants when designing and and You’d be A fool to not look n dig backwards to see the hows n whys of what’s already been done.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
As to surfboards specifically - everyone is standing on the shoulders of giants when designing and and You’d be A fool to not look n dig backwards to see the hows n whys of what’s already been done.

Do you know how old I am ?
No, don’t care & was addressing the people in this thread that make boards as a “hobby” …

that being said, I do know pro shapers that could also do well to heed my words

PS: And it never hurts old dogs to circle back and revisit some of there earlier discarded designs -

Last edited:

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Well, whatever the best tail design is, diamonds work really well IMHO, got two boards with it and I much prefer them to squash when waves are good. To me they're a great bridge between round and swallow.
Yeah you get the short rail feel without sacrificing width and they do have a bite to them compared to a [squash] tail block of the same width.
Agian... IMHO

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
I had a DT shaped by the first shaper for Central Coast Surfboards in SLO....

Thing was ok....but man the back half had straight lines...

Name of shaper?