dave parmenter is a surf guru

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

"he became a professional after only one year of amateur competition – first under the harsh tutelage of Craig Comen, then under the intellectual and misanthropic spell of her first great love, Dave Parmenter, who gave her a stable and healthy family life while transforming her natural talent into a competitive weapon"

So why would bringing it up make Parmenter angry?

Could it be that my instinct telling me Parmy is an asshole be correct?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

you're asking the wrong loc. I think I've only met Parmenter once in person, so I don't know him personally. Around the central coast he is pretty legend for his explorations of many spots around here way back in the day.

Reactions: Chile Verde

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

Well if you got invited to a podcast to talk about surfing and the guy brings up your engagement to Lisa Andersen- that is kind of grounds to be a little mad.

Talking about someones past relationship, esp and engagement, is extremely personal.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
he’s fkn cool as hell and willing to educate us morans who order boars from him. All I ride are parmys now. He’s seen it all.
Ok. I’ve listened to some interviews over the years and I never could really tell if he was ‘cool as hell’ or an asshole. I’ll take your word for it.

I just remember his rather harsh words for overseas pop outs and those who buy them (something about wanting to damage cars of people who ride them) then turning around and having pop out SUPs (SUPs!!!!!!) made in China with his name on them.

Is this correct or am I thinking of someone else?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Well if you got invited to a podcast to talk about surfing and the guy brings up your engagement to Lisa Andersen- that is kind of grounds to be a little mad.

Talking about someones past relationship, esp and engagement, is extremely personal.
Wasn’t it in reference to a recent movie about Lisa, a movie in which he plays a somewhat significant part?

If someone was talking to me and brought up an ex who just had a fucking movie put out about her I wouldn’t get anything close to angry about it.

Then again, I’ve always stayed on friendly terms with all the chicks I’ve ever banged.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Every single one of them? Clear you''ve never dated a crazy one.
Every single one.

Yes, I’ve dated some psychos.

One tried to kill me with scissors because I wouldn’t fuck her ‘right now’ (told her to wait until later). It’s all good.

What people need to realize is that just because you‘re aren’t compatible doesn‘t mean you have to hate each other.

That hate that people have for their exes? That‘s a sign that they still have feelings for them. Hate is love’s companion.

Indifference, not hate, is the opposite of love

• Wow
Reactions: r32

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Every single one.

Yes, I’ve dated some psychos.

One tried to kill me with scissors because I wouldn’t fook her ‘right now’ (told her to wait until later). It’s all good.

What people need to realize is that just because you‘re aren’t compatible doesn‘t mean you have to hate each other.

That hate that people have for their exes? That‘s a sign that they still have feelings for them. Hate is love’s companion.

Indifference, not hate, is the opposite of love
People hate other people for a lot of reasons, don't think it is just because they have feelings for them. Hate might be a companion to love but it is one of many in the group of emotions.

Certainly don't have to hate anyone you aren't compatible with, just move on and live a good life

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
People hate other people for a lot of reasons, don't think it is just because they have feelings for them. Hate might be a companion to love but it is one of many in the group of emotions.

Certainly don't have to hate anyone you aren't compatible with, just move on and live a good life
I wrote that in the context of ex girlfriends.

Context.

Also, hate is a strong feeling. If you hate someone you have a strong feeling about them. You can’t hate someone unless you are emotionally invested in that person. Same with love. Two sides of the same coin. Indifference on the hand is an unlimited credit card you never have to pay back.

The only person your hate has an effect on is you.

And the effect is not a good one.

Reactions: urchined

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Used to see him cursing around with Sam and Matt in the little Saab Whale Back....SLO/MB/Osos/Useless/Cambria area back in the late 70s....

Met him once way back early 90's me thinks when he delivered some Stubs to some friends in Goleta.
One of my buds still rides his Stubs....loves 'em....

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I'll probably get sh!t for this but him and his crew were the first guys I saw from the Central Coast that ripped. I think it was at the first CA Stubbies.

As a small kid my then baby sitter was a surfer girl that lived down the street. She was one of the better women's surfers on the coast. She became one of Rell's friends. She was less than thrilled with Dave. But girlfriends disliking their girl's significant other... who knows. And heaven help me, I just looked her up online and discovered that she passed.

Obituary: Shelley Merrick | Obituaries | malibutimes.com
Shelley Merrick - (historyofwomensurfing.com)

I worked with her for a few years in I think the early 90's. RIP.

Like Dave's boards. He was kind of on the vanguard of people rejecting HP shortboards as the only thing going. Loved the fact that he famously paddled out on a longboard in one of his heats at the OP. They used to send you out in absolute sh!t surf. It was ridiculous. Midget surfing. I wasn't there but he gave the whole thing the finger and paddled out on a longboard. Fvcking beautiful. (reference the current 1984 OP Pro thread) The man follows his own path. You have to respect that.

Last edited: