Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Repair guy up here posted a couple different DA's that had rail impact which ended up cracking the whole width of the board. Weird. Also couple fully buckled DA Ghosts. I think the carbon just makes them more pressure dent resistant not necessarily stronger. Mine has cracked super easily after a couple bumps against hard objects. The glass is brittle. Compare this to my Hess boards glassed with epoxy bio resin, which i've banged on all kinds of sh!t and will not crack.
Interesting. I would have figured dark artistry is one of the best builds. The strongest board I've ever seen is my Stretch in legacy construction. I'm not sure if the thing is ever even going to get a pressure dent.

Jun 21, 2021
Repair guy up here posted a couple different DA's that had rail impact which ended up cracking the whole width of the board. Weird. Also couple fully buckled DA Ghosts. I think the carbon just makes them more pressure dent resistant not necessarily stronger. Mine has cracked super easily after a couple bumps against hard objects. The glass is brittle. Compare this to my Hess boards glassed with epoxy bio resin, which i've banged on all kinds of sh!t and will not crack.
Two decades ago I broke several carbon windsurf masts. Luckily I was sponsored at that time. From what I remember I can say that the 100% carbon masts would break easily once they have had an impact. Even when there was no visual evidence of an impact I have seen masts that broke (after a while) from inside out. Masts with less carbon (say 40-80%) in general did have a way longer lifespan. I don't know if the same applies for surfboards.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Two decades ago I broke several carbon windsurf masts. Luckily I was sponsored at that time. From what I remember I can say that the 100% carbon masts would break easily once they have had an impact. Even when there was no visual evidence of an impact I have seen masts that broke (after a while) from inside out. Masts with less carbon (say 40-80%) in general did have a way longer lifespan. I don't know if the same applies for surfboards.
My own thoughts on carbon build is not enough flex plenty of strength and you need a good ratio so board dents or even buckles instead of breaks. This is why I have stayed away from carbon and stuck to s glass:shrug:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This was an issue in tge bike world back then too.

Stiff frames would fail and “compliant“ frames were too mushy.

I had an older carbon TT bike and when I was mashing the pedals climbing hills the back tire would rub due to excessive flex.

Modern high end carbon bikes have solved these issues.

Im totally ignorant of the technical aspects of how they did it.

Reactions: sh3

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
This was an issue in tge bike world back then too.

Stiff frames would fail and “compliant“ frames were too mushy.

I had an older carbon TT bike and when I was mashing the pedals climbing hills the back tire would rub due to excessive flex.

Modern high end carbon bikes have solved these issues.

Im totally ignorant of the technical aspects of how they did it.
Yeah the biking world has figured this out by orientation of the weaves and layers to allow flex in certain directions and eliminate in other directions, as well as the epoxies and curing processes. The world of carbon fiber/material science has advanced significantly. It seems like this technology should trickle down to surfing, and parts of it have.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah the biking world has figured this out by orientation of the weaves and layers to allow flex in certain directions and eliminate in other directions, as well as the epoxies and curing processes. The world of carbon fiber/material science has advanced significantly. It seems like this technology should trickle down to surfing, and parts of it have.
Isn't this what Drew Bagget does for his black dart construction? Carbon fibers in one direction, S glass in the other. I haven't seen a lot of them but my friend's bean bag that he's had for many years and ridden a lot looks practically brand new.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No carbon fiber because stretch like me does not believe its the way but does and has made advwncements in tech :shrug:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I've never had an all black board. (never will) I did have one though that had black resin rail bands about 5 inches wide all the way around. It was amazing how much heat those black rails could generate just biking from my house to the beach or sitting on the sand for 5 minutes in direct sun on a July day.
Did the same in the late 80's/early 90's during tribal band days. Had a Black-fade-to-Red "X" across my board from rail to rail. It delaminated and then bubbled pretty badly right where the black and red met on both sides. Avoided it ever since. Even the "Black Beauty" rail band terrifies me now.

Must admit... I have considered the temperature sensitive color changing tint, but goddamn is that 'metro.' No thanks.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i've had pretty good luck with the DA's durability. the i72 was my go to thruster for a year of heavy surfing and i put one small ding in the rail up by the nose. some light deck denting but otherwise it's still in great shape. i've had a couple other DA's that I rode for months which were in 9/10 (very light deck dents) condition when I sold them. i don't think i'll get another carbon board without color on the bottom. not being able to set your board down with the bottom side up for more than a minute on a sunny day kind of sucks.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I’ve really liked the DA boards I’ve had, a DK Dialer and a Mandala SuperChunk. Still have the Mandala, which has been on multiple trips to hot ass mainland Mex with no issues and looks near new after several years of hard use. Don’t leave it in the sun when not in the water!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've only had mine for less than a year but the denting is minimal, still looks and surfs great, and I did smack it pretty damn hard against the crete once and there's nothing to show for it.

Kind of reminds me of my Hess (durability) but obviously way lighter.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
90B55B58-9DF3-4DD4-BE7A-67F51C02F793.jpeg004492C6-9A1E-4860-8827-6DB1531B708A.jpeg
It was so pretty, I hated to deface it, but I finally got around to spraying the deck of my new DA Superchunk yesterday. It was total half-ass job, didn’t even tape off the rails (couldn’t find the painters tape). It has already been a few weeks, and I knew if i didn’t just do it yesterday when I had the time, I wouldn’t do it and just leave it black. It looks pretty mottled and DIY but actually not bad once it’s covered in wax.
Anyway, first surf today, and despite the junky surf, it did what I hoped. Seems to have a lot of the magic of the 5’6 quad SC that it’s replacing: 2” longer length not really noticeable due to the light weight. Felt real easy to whip around. Manny talked me out of quad. Said with the slot channel you really don’t need the rears. He said the channel edges provide the grip/hold of a third fin. It works on the Plasmic, so I went with it.
There wasn’t much open face today, so I probably only had one fs turn today where I really cranked it… but it felt good: that twinny goodness, with just enough hold flowing into the next move.
I’m stocked. After riding SBD’s Album graveler, i knew i had to get a one in DA for weaker/ softer waves.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Were you always planning on rattle canning it or last minute regrets after receipt?

looks like a stonk opaque resin abstract carbonara
Haha. No. Apparently DA forgot to do the light blue color before glassing. Manny asked if I wanted to have it redone, and I said no, not a big deal.
DA Tony had emailed me earlier when I had asked about spraying another black DA over the glass. He said it was easy and he does it a lot and to just make sure to scuff it up a bit first with a green& yellow scrub sponge so the paint will stick. So I used some 220 grit lightly before, then sprayed blue and then 30 min later, the matte clear coat. For how little time/energy I spent on it, I’m ok with how it turned out. At least now I don’t feel so self-conscious with a look-at-me black boar. LOL
Besides, I can always hire @tedshred5 to do his Charlie Brown profesh sanding routine on it, if needed.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hopefully DA refunded your tint cost at least....

Ill be curious to hear how this one compares to your other simmonsy type boars.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hopefully DA refunded your tint cost at least....

Ill be curious to hear how this one compares to your other simmonsy type boars.
Yeah, I wasn’t charged the $150 (per side!) for color.

Even more than GMM2, the 5’6 superchunk is the closest I’ve felt to riding a skateboard on the water. This 5’8 hopefully retains most of that while being a lil bit easier to paddle around the lineup. Lots of glide and speed and looseness/ skatey-ness (in the best way). A couple moments today where I could just fling it around and it was super responsive. Feels like you can go wherever you want on a wave.
Way more maneuverable (edit: and precise) than say, our Symphonys, or other minisims I’ve had.