Daniel Jones Twin

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Yea for peer pressure. Put the T1 fins in. Waves were a little bigger than yesterday head high + so I was a little hesitant to run smaller fins.

First wave got a runner and had to drive thru sections to make the wave. No drift on the bottom turns.

Paddled for a set while I was still the only one out and I saw a fin pop up. It distracted me and I missed the wave. F*cking seal scared the crap outta me.

Got a bunch of good waves and some memorable turns. Got a medium one that stood up on the inside and did a snap that drifted the tail. One of the regulars Carter saw it. We were just talking about the boar and trying new fins. He said that must’ve felt good. Yep. Drifting the tail when you want is fun but sucks when you don’t.

Paddled into a set that stood up perfect and squared off the bottom and went straight up. When I got back out to the peak Stu said that was a good turn. I said smaller fins and that’s the most vert I surfed this boar. He said he saw a bunch of blue. The color of the fins. Stu is the one who convinced me the most to give the T1’s are session.

Got a decent barrel.

Best experience. Got a set did a top turn, drive to the inside section that stood up and did a layback snap. I kicked out by Jun Jo. Jun is a former pro and was a JPSA champ. Japan pro league. Jun said that’s a good boar. It flowed well into your turns and went where you wanted it to. Total ego stroke.

Thanks for all the suggestions to run the smaller fins. It was against everything I thought after knowing the ENs worked. Maybe I’m just getting the boar dialed, maybe it’s the fins, maybe it’s the waves. Probably a combination of all of the above.

Super happy how this boar has been going. I’m gonna save it for when the waves are better. Which means I’ll have to YOLO a gravel boar.

another-satisfied-customer-in-living-color.gif

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The Mark Price thread is getting personal and I posted I didn’t want to think about FW for the rest of the year so I’ll just put this here.

The reasons I ordered a boar from Daniel and from the Tokoros for that matter are basically the same. Supporting my local shaper keeps the bulk of the money spent buying a boar in my local economy. And it unintentionally helps me.

I think the blank is Marko. Not sure who the local Marko rep but that guy got a little bit from my boar.

The resin, cloth etc is from Fiberglass Hawaii. Ted and the Wilson family own that business. I worked on Ted and Sue’s house and a little project for their daughter who also works at the store. Part of my boar purchase made its way back to me.

Not sure who cuts DJ’s blanks probably Arakawa or Pyzel. I know surfers that work at both shops.

I met Daniel’s glasser Braden. Know most of the surfers that work on my Tokoro’s too. Brian Ping or Steve Eichner. Steve’s son Ryan may have cut my blank if DJ had Arakawa’s machine do it. I’ve skated with Ryan a bunch.

I didn’t get the boar sprayed but if I did Jeannie Chesser would’ve done the art. I love that lady and have known her since the 80’s. DJ’s wife does boar art and so does Yukiko, Kerry Tokoro’s wife.

The shapers. I’ve known the Tokoro’s for decades. Was invited to Wade’s wedding. I give old skateboards and hand me down clothes for Kerry’s 4 boys. My son is a little older than them.

Daniel I’m not close to him like the Tokoro’s but have known him for decades too. My first trip to Tavarua his dad went with us and shot some pics.

Even the landlords of the sugar mill where DJ’s shop is I know that family. The Watamulls. I worked on two of the son’s houses. Vic and Rajan.

Supporting my local shaper goes a lot further than just the money going to the shaper. A few bucks gets spread out through out my community.

I even know a bunch of surfers that work at HECO. Hawaiian Electric. Even the money to pay for the electric bill that made this boar went in some small way to friends I surf with.

So, that’s the reasons I’ve made it a priority to support buying locally made boars. I’m not as conscious about my other purchases but it’s been heading that way too.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The Mark Price thread is getting personal and I posted I didn’t want to think about FW for the rest of the year so I’ll just put this here.

The reasons I ordered a boar from Daniel and from the Tokoros for that matter are basically the same. Supporting my local shaper keeps the bulk of the money spent buying a boar in my local economy. And it unintentionally helps me.

I think the blank is Marko. Not sure who the local Marko rep but that guy got a little bit from my boar.

The resin, cloth etc is from Fiberglass Hawaii. Ted and the Wilson family own that business. I worked on Ted and Sue’s house and a little project for their daughter who also works at the store. Part of my boar purchase made its way back to me.

Not sure who cuts DJ’s blanks probably Arakawa or Pyzel. I know surfers that work at both shops.

I met Daniel’s glasser Braden. Know most of the surfers that work on my Tokoro’s too. Brian Ping or Steve Eichner. Steve’s son Ryan may have cut my blank if DJ had Arakawa’s machine do it. I’ve skated with Ryan a bunch.

I didn’t get the boar sprayed but if I did Jeannie Chesser would’ve done the art. I love that lady and have known her since the 80’s. DJ’s wife does boar art and so does Yukiko, Kerry Tokoro’s wife.

The shapers. I’ve known the Tokoro’s for decades. Was invited to Wade’s wedding. I give old skateboards and hand me down clothes for Kerry’s 4 boys. My son is a little older than them.

Daniel I’m not close to him like the Tokoro’s but have known him for decades too. My first trip to Tavarua his dad went with us and shot some pics.

Even the landlords of the sugar mill where DJ’s shop is I know that family. The Watamulls. I worked on two of the son’s houses. Vic and Rajan.

Supporting my local shaper goes a lot further than just the money going to the shaper. A few bucks gets spread out through out my community.

I even know a bunch of surfers that work at HECO. Hawaiian Electric. Even the money to pay for the electric bill that made this boar went in some small way to friends I surf with.

So, that’s the reasons I’ve made it a priority to support buying locally made boars. I’m not as conscious about my other purchases but it’s been heading that way too.

or

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Quick update. Won some money from my FS team at the controversial pool contest. Had 5 in the quarters and both Griff and Italo so didn’t really matter who won.

With the winnings picked up a set of Futures T2 twin fins for the DJ Rick Cane twinnie. They are close to the size of the T1’s but more upright.

Surfed them yesterday and today. Not sure if it’s because I got 2 days of rest after surfing everyday for a month. Or because new fins stiffer flex. Or the template. But the T2s were money and felt fast and turns felt livelier.

Been surfing off the rail without thinking about it as much. Been adjusting my approach to tube riding. This twin is a challenge to just pop the tail and stall.

I still think I surf better and don’t fall as much on a thruster but the DJ twin has been a good time. And a more upright fin like the T2s are the best ones I’ve tried.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Quick update. Won some money from my FS team at the controversial pool contest. Had 5 in the quarters and both Griff and Italo so didn’t really matter who won.

With the winnings picked up a set of Futures T2 twin fins for the DJ Rick Cane twinnie. They are close to the size of the T1’s but more upright.

Surfed them yesterday and today. Not sure if it’s because I got 2 days of rest after surfing everyday for a month. Or because new fins stiffer flex. Or the template. But the T2s were money and felt fast and turns felt livelier.

Been surfing off the rail without thinking about it as much. Been adjusting my approach to tube riding. This twin is a challenge to just pop the tail and stall.

I still think I surf better and don’t fall as much on a thruster but the DJ twin has been a good time. And a more upright fin like the T2s are the best ones I’ve tried.
Have you tried a set with v2 foils? Its nice, try rasta twin+1 or the Blackstix twin+1 if you can. Without the trailer of course

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Have you tried a set with v2 foils? Its nice, try rasta twin+1 or the Blackstix twin+1 if you can. Without the trailer of course

No. The Rasta’s look too small as do the Blackstix. And even if I wanted to my boar doesn’t have a middle box cause it wouldn’t be a twin if it did.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
No. The Rasta’s look too small as do the Blackstix. And even if I wanted to my boar doesn’t have a middle box cause it wouldn’t be a twin if it did.
Rasta’s have more area than the t2. They’re basically t1s with v foil. And i suggested “without the trailer of course”.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Rasta’s have more area than the t2. They’re basically t1s with v foil. And i suggested “without the trailer of course”.

You’re right.
I went to HIC to sort fins and looking at the Futures website I remember now. I put the Rasta and the T1 against each other and they are very similar in template and size. Not interested with inside foil. Rode thruster fins with that foiling and no like. The T2 is smaller in area and it’s more upright. Daniel’s website recommends an upright template, when he asked what fins I have he said the EN and T1 should work. HIC had a set of Blackstix, but they came with a trailer.

Oh and the reason I got fin fever was when I paddled in from a surf I saw my friend Dylan. He’s been riding a Rick Cane for a couple years. His newest one is carbon wrapped which took 5 months for all you YOLO fans. Dylan we call him Stretch cause he’s 6’7 is using the Alpha constructed T2’s after going thru a couple of different fins and told me he liked them best. Stretch rips, known him for years and it gave me fin YOLO.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Loving this DJ twin ride report thread. I appreciate how much of difference the right fin makes in a twin. When it doesn’t click, you feel all the deficiencies of the twin and think “why aren’t I on a thruster??”. But man, when you find the right one, it can unlock the magic.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
imo, DJ RCP is far more sensitive to fins than the album offerings.

i really want to try is set with the extra cant. his template looks sooo small.

Reactions: teeroi

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
You’re right.
I went to HIC to sort fins and looking at the Futures website I remember now. I put the Rasta and the T1 against each other and they are very similar in template and size. Not interested with inside foil. Rode thruster fins with that foiling and no like. The T2 is smaller in area and it’s more upright. Daniel’s website recommends an upright template, when he asked what fins I have he said the EN and T1 should work. HIC had a set of Blackstix, but they came with a trailer.

Oh and the reason I got fin fever was when I paddled in from a surf I saw my friend Dylan. He’s been riding a Rick Cane for a couple years. His newest one is carbon wrapped which took 5 months for all you YOLO fans. Dylan we call him Stretch cause he’s 6’7 is using the Alpha constructed T2’s after going thru a couple of different fins and told me he liked them best. Stretch rips, known him for years and it gave me fin YOLO.
I used to see Stretch surfing all the time and we’d chat about boards waves etc. then one time I saw him at the grocery store and was like what the fook you are a small forward. I’m 6’1 and he was towering over me.

I have a set of EN’s that Greg Griffin reshaped for me. They are smaller and amazing. Let me know if you want to try. A true erbb moment, terroi on a GG set!

I also have a grey market set from a guy up the street, they are MR's but with future bases if you want to sample.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I used to see Stretch surfing all the time and we’d chat about boards waves etc. then one time I saw him at the grocery store and was like what the fook you are a small forward. I’m 6’1 and he was towering over me.

I have a set of EN’s that Greg Griffin reshaped for me. They are smaller and amazing. Let me know if you want to try. A true erbb moment, terroi on a GG set!

I also have a grey market set from a guy up the street, they are MR's but with future bases if you want to sample.
Thanks Racer. I’m pretty happy with how the T2s have been feeling. Boar is fast and loose which isn’t how thrusters usually go. They’re either fast or loose.

Rode it at the regular this morning and got some fun rides.

Funny thing My friend Juniel paddled out. He glasses at Monstah and is a solid shaper. He checked out my twin and was complimenting DJ’s work. We started talking twins. J has been riding twin fishes when it’s small and uses twin plus trailer in his thrusters when the waves get better.

I told him I think I surf better on a thruster but this twin has been fun. Told him I always ask if my boar throws spray cause it’s hard to tell.

Juniel got a wave and I got one after. It was a runner so I had pump thru sections and when the wave slowed down J was right there and I did a snap in front of him. I paddled back out and told him sorry. He replies the boar threw a lot of spray on that wave. Haha.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’m going post this here,, cause this thread is positive and non toxic. Ever since I jumped in with my boar feedback and journey figuring out how to ride a twin I’ve gotten fin suggestions and offers to lend me a set to try. Super positive might I even say aloha was shown to me. Mahalo.

Couple months ago I got a message from Carim, not sure if he spells it with a K or C. He wanted some advice on what kind of paint to paint his house. He had already picked what company to buy from but wanted to know which line to use. I told him my suggestion and asked if he had good pricing from there, if he didn’t he could use my cash account for a discount and just tell them I was doing the work. Carim saved a few hundred dollars off listed retail. Didn’t cost me a cent. Easy peasy.

Couple weeks ago I get a text that he had something for me to thank me for letting him use my discount. Next time I’m in town swing by his shop.

Carim owns Aloha Board Shop. I’ve taken used boars there and buy accessories from him. Even ordered a couple of boars. But most recently Aloha is where I buy Mrs. Palmers wax. He’s one of the shops that carries that wax.

So I go there wanting to buy some wax and figured Carim was going to give me a couple t-shirts or an Alohs Board Shop branded leash to say thanks. Instead he gives me a case of Mrs. Palmers Wax. I told him totally unnecessary and unexpected. He has a Japanese wife who was there and it’s a big insult to refuse a gift so I took it. Gave a few bars to my friends this morning. Spread the aloha.

IMG_1811.jpeg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Karim (I'm pretty sure it's with a K) is the coolest. When I first had my son, I was walking around Diamond Head. Karim and his wife are driving by and pull over. They see the baby and say he's so cute. Then they offer to baby sit him any time. LOL. I barely know Karim outside the fish fry contests a few years ago. He says his kids are all grown up and he misses babies. They were serious on the offer. I never took them up, but just thought that was so nice of him and his wife. Super Aloha.