Daniel Jones Twin

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have that set of T1s but the ENs are bigger. I’m surfing the boar better each time. Just have to stop trying to overpower turns like I would on a thruster and engage the rail more effectively.
My biggest piece of advice for a thruster guy adjusting to twins would be try to surf the rail more than the fins. Like, keep a little more even pressure on front and back foot rather than pushing too hard on the rear. You still want your rear foot back there over the fins but because you dont have a whole cluster you dont need to push as hard. You can still get a lot of hold out of a twin but you need to keep more of that rail in the water.

It sounds like you are on the right track dialing it in.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
try the son of cobras
Duu I’m not gonna Yolo fins. Just gonna hang up the big boy shorts for a pair of tight fitting Birdwells tie a big rubber band between my knees to get my knock knee hipster style going and release my inner Asher Pacey.

If that doesn’t work then I’ll yolo some Cobra Kai fins Havoc San. Wax on wax off.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Thanks for all the fin suggestions.

I’m going to try something different first.

Gonna go on a tofu and soy milk diet to bring my estrogen level way up. That way instead of trying to he-man turns I can Daisy Duke ‘em. Going to cut up an old pair of jeans right now.
Will be hitting refresh in the @sponge photo thread, asap.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
So latest update. My regular was bigger and better than forecasted. Head high, low tide and light wind
Just the kind of waves I wanted the boar for.

Good two nuggets right when I paddled out. First wave bottom turned and went off the top. Used that speed from the re-entry to hit it again, into a wrap. 3 solid turns with no surprises and no nursing.

Second wave was a runner. Came from around a section did a snap and hit the closeout end section. No nursing turns.

The crew paddled out so I had to wait my turn. Fell on a vert hit coming in kind of like the sequence Neal has of me in the other thread. And fell on a vert hit that was caused by boat wake moguls.

My shaper friend Stu still wants me to try the T1’s but I was happy how the boar worked this session.

The DJ twin surfed better each time I rode it even on the small days. Today it was bigger and steeper I could surf off the rails more. I didn’t have to think about it and just surfed the wave. It’s funny how your body can make minor adjustments without thinking about it and the boar just starts working.

Good thing I didn’t cut up my jeans. I think surfing in a pair of Daisy Dukes would cause the gnarliest ball rash.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yea for peer pressure. Put the T1 fins in. Waves were a little bigger than yesterday head high + so I was a little hesitant to run smaller fins.

First wave got a runner and had to drive thru sections to make the wave. No drift on the bottom turns.

Paddled for a set while I was still the only one out and I saw a fin pop up. It distracted me and I missed the wave. F*cking seal scared the crap outta me.

Got a bunch of good waves and some memorable turns. Got a medium one that stood up on the inside and did a snap that drifted the tail. One of the regulars Carter saw it. We were just talking about the boar and trying new fins. He said that must’ve felt good. Yep. Drifting the tail when you want is fun but sucks when you don’t.

Paddled into a set that stood up perfect and squared off the bottom and went straight up. When I got back out to the peak Stu said that was a good turn. I said smaller fins and that’s the most vert I surfed this boar. He said he saw a bunch of blue. The color of the fins. Stu is the one who convinced me the most to give the T1’s are session.

Got a decent barrel.

Best experience. Got a set did a top turn, drive to the inside section that stood up and did a layback snap. I kicked out by Jun Jo. Jun is a former pro and was a JPSA champ. Japan pro league. Jun said that’s a good boar. It flowed well into your turns and went where you wanted it to. Total ego stroke.

Thanks for all the suggestions to run the smaller fins. It was against everything I thought after knowing the ENs worked. Maybe I’m just getting the boar dialed, maybe it’s the fins, maybe it’s the waves. Probably a combination of all of the above.

Super happy how this boar has been going. I’m gonna save it for when the waves are better. Which means I’ll have to YOLO a gravel boar.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Best experience. Got a set did a top turn, drive to the inside section that stood up and did a layback snap. I kicked out by Jun Jo. Jun is a former pro and was a JPSA champ. Japan pro league. Jun said that’s a good boar. It flowed well into your turns and went where you wanted it to. Total ego stroke.

Jun rips and, from all accounts, sounds like a nice guy.

I still have an old button up shirt from one of his old companies.

Reactions: teeroi

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yea for peer pressure. Put the T1 fins in. Waves were a little bigger than yesterday head high + so I was a little hesitant to run smaller fins.

First wave got a runner and had to drive thru sections to make the wave. No drift on the bottom turns.

Paddled for a set while I was still the only one out and I saw a fin pop up. It distracted me and I missed the wave. F*cking seal scared the crap outta me.

Got a bunch of good waves and some memorable turns. Got a medium one that stood up on the inside and did a snap that drifted the tail. One of the regulars Carter saw it. We were just talking about the boar and trying new fins. He said that must’ve felt good. Yep. Drifting the tail when you want is fun but sucks when you don’t.

Paddled into a set that stood up perfect and squared off the bottom and went straight up. When I got back out to the peak Stu said that was a good turn. I said smaller fins and that’s the most vert I surfed this boar. He said he saw a bunch of blue. The color of the fins. Stu is the one who convinced me the most to give the T1’s are session.

Got a decent barrel.

Thanks for all the suggestions to run the smaller fins. It was against everything I thought after knowing the ENs worked. Maybe I’m just getting the boar dialed, maybe it’s the fins, maybe it’s the waves. Probably a combination of all of the above.

Super happy how this boar has been going. I’m gonna save it for when the waves are better. Which means I’ll have to YOLO a gravel boar.
Stocked to hear this.
One of the main reason I figured smaller fins was because DJs fins by Futures are so small. But wasn't sure if you told him what fins you would use and he made any adjustments to box placements.

The RCP sure looks like a good time and I want to try one someday. Does DJ have a good groveler?
If you've never tried, Akila's Mod or Con Fish might be a good step-down from the RCP. I just rode mine recently after havoc gave it back, and damn it's good. Flies like a magic carpet

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Stocked to hear this.
One of the main reason I figured smaller fins was because DJs fins by Futures are so small. But wasn't sure if you told him what fins you would use and he made any adjustments to box placements.

The RCP sure looks like a good time and I want to try one someday. Does DJ have a good groveler?
If you've never tried, Akila's Mod or Con Fish might be a good step-down from the RCP. I just rode mine recently after havoc gave it back, and damn it's good. Flies like a magic carpet
No haven’t tried the fishes you mentioned. Might have Kerry Tokoro make me a fish. He made me one a couple summers ago. The Love Seat or Manini, fast and fun. HIC still owes me a boar.

Daniel made my friend Dddean a retro fish. I tried it and it was fun. A little small for me. I had to yell at the pack to let one go for me to catch. They were laughing and let one go to me.

Here’s pics of Dddean’s boar. IMG_1049.jpegIMG_1054.jpeg
[