Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My experience as a high school teacher is this: The top quartile of students are getting an education that is miles better and more rigorous than what similar students got 30 - 40 years ago. They are doing robotics and computer science and medical biology and graphic design and all kinds of things that just didn't exist then. Plus they're loading up on AP and dual enrollment classes and the instructors are doing a good job and most of the kids are working hard and learning. I look back on what we did and what was expected of college track kids in the '70s and think OMG, our educations sucked compared to what these kids get!
Us getting ready for first bell
1677813141733.gif

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
If not aware of it, freshen up on the WUE. My granddaughter who lives in Washington just changed her school of choice to Oregon State after a tour of their nationally ranked epidemiology program. She will only be charged in-state tuition rates, and they awarded her a 9K yearly scholarship towards fees.

oh, and she asked the doc's while on tour, and they still haven't figured out that whole 'bleach and inside UV light' thing they head about...lol

Reactions: One-Off and tacos

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Still Amazes me I can walk outside of one of the lodge restaurant lobbies, smoke a little joint after an agreeable meal, and walk back inside and nobody looks or thinks twice. In fact the stink eye would be quick and the tongue lashings severe from wife and friends/clients/colleagues if I lit up a cigarette.

But a sweet little pre roll of Inzane in the Membrane and it’s just finally, perfectly, fukking, normal To puff one outside after a nice meal, with literally every manager (at least the ones I care about and respect and “grew up with”) and a few dozen clients and colleagues inside, and all is well

Reactions: grapedrink

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
If not aware of it, freshen up on the WUE. My granddaughter who lives in Washington just changed her school of choice to Oregon State after a tour of their nationally ranked epidemiology program. She will only be charged in-state tuition rates, and they awarded her a 9K yearly scholarship towards fees.

oh, and she asked the doc's while on tour, and they still haven't figured out that whole 'bleach and inside UV light' thing they head about...lol
I have two nephews (my younger brother's boys) currently attending Oregon State. They love it. In-state tuition is mega cheap for the quality of education and life there.

Reactions: nimby

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Us getting ready for first bell
View attachment 149474
The van was older, but yeah.

Take a look at how we ended up.

Most kids during my time got jobs, if there were extra credit activities to augment your GPA I didn’t know about that. Mom and dad weren’t gonna spring $10 for a lid, gas money to the beach, etc.

I don’t know anything about the push for extra credit other than what I’ve read about in this thread but based on that I think it’s counterproductive to the development of high school age kids to force them into that rather than spending the time learning how to function in society.

I wonder what kind of jobs will be out there when they’re 40 for kids in the class of 2023.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Part of the problem with state universities is the state cut funding.

That meant the admins had to be cost controllers.

The means increase tuition and be kunts during labor negotiations.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The UCs and Cal States are the golden goose for California. They crank out the talent that feeds the world's 5th largest economy. Cutting funding for them is monumentally stupid.

They should be planning on opening 2 new CSUs and one new UC by 2040, increase funding for classroom undergrad instruction, and freeze tuition. They should also keep admission standards high, and aim for a 10% reduction in administrative staff across the board. And pump some money into the junior college pipeline as well.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Well, my kid did his first quarter at Mira Costa here in North county SD...was thinking Architecture or Engineering and took a full load...dropped out of every class, so yeah...second quarter, taking 11 units of music theory and something else. Has no clue what he wants to do, but has a good job and snow boards every other week. Hey, he sounds like me at that age!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Tell him to get a list of the general ed classes and chip away at those. Just take two and work part time.

Once I got that list I was like "Oh."

You just work the list.

You don't need to know what you want to do.

Just get better at being student.

Autoprax

Reactions: npsp

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
The UCs and Cal States are the golden goose for California. They crank out the talent that feeds the world's 5th largest economy. Cutting funding for them is monumentally stupid.

They should be planning on opening 2 new CSUs and one new UC by 2040, increase funding for classroom undergrad instruction, and freeze tuition. They should also keep admission standards high, and aim for a 10% reduction in administrative staff across the board. And pump some money into the junior college pipeline as well.
UC's are r1 research universities that rely a lot on externally supported grants for faculty to survive. undergrag educ is an afterthought there

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
UC's are r1 research universities that rely a lot on externally supported grants for faculty to survive. undergrag educ is an afterthought there
True but the UCs are still mostly undergrads. Hence the need to pump $ into undergrad education. Tenured profs and their grants can take care of themselves.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
undergrads tend to get fugged by the UC. grad/researchers are the cash cow thus their perks.

researchers need grads to do their research so their quality of life is improved.

undergrads are the worker bees of the revenue stream.

Reactions: hammies

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
internally, universities and colleges are less about the education and more about jockeying for department power, the tenure system for the prof's, and the PERS system. Get tenure, you're golden, even if found in the janitors closet with a blow up doll. Tenure, PERS, undergrads and TA's doing the grunt work, lectures in crowded 200 seat halls. HIgher education has been broken for decades.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Their "research" is uniformly crap. Professors are useless at R&D. A bigger bunch of mountebanks has never existed.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Transfered into UCSB from a JC, with a 2.8 GPA. Degree says UC Santa Barbara.

Saved many monies in the very late 1900's

Yew
while at UCSB took my general ed Math Sci Language at OCC in the summer

got Ds and got it checked off the list at UCSB - those classes required studying and i had no time for a real class as a Gaucho so JC route summer school was great

Reactions: sdsrfr