Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's so much more competitive now, it's a joke. I got accepted to all 4 UCs I applied to w/ just above average grades and SAT. Now students apply to minimum 10 schools, and they have crazy grades. My son had a 4.6 his freshman year and barely did any work. He wants to transfer to a more difficult school next year.
The HS standards have been lowered and the GPAs have been raised.

That is why it's so competitive.

That's not knocking your kids (or anyone else's for that matter).

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No, it's not.

That standards are so much lower.

Just like we had lower standards than our parents.

I guess if you're referring to all the other lol BS the kids are supposed to be involved in + stress to try to get into a "good" (lol) college then maybe.

I disagree.

I don't think the standards are lower at all. My daughter took AP Chem, Bio and Computer Science. I couldn't help her with any of it. Couldn't help her much with anything after freshman year. Kids today also do hours of homework every day. I slided through high school with good grades in a high achieving school district with minimal effort. I remember doing my homework during class so I wouldn't have to so it at home. I don't think there's any way a kid coild do that now.

I think there is just societally a much greater expectation that you go to college, so competition is much more fierce. At my middle school we were always pushing the virtues of a college education- college week, every floor of every building would choose a college "mascot." Once, while pontificating about college, I got reality checked by one of my students who asked, "What are you saying about people who don't go to college?" The vast majority of parents in my school's population did not go to college. They work construction and service industry jobs. I had to pivot and extol the virtues of "hard work"...."starting NOW."

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My experience as a high school teacher is this: The top quartile of students are getting an education that is miles better and more rigorous than what similar students got 30 - 40 years ago. They are doing robotics and computer science and medical biology and graphic design and all kinds of things that just didn't exist then. Plus they're loading up on AP and dual enrollment classes and the instructors are doing a good job and most of the kids are working hard and learning. I look back on what we did and what was expected of college track kids in the '70s and think OMG, our educations sucked compared to what these kids get!

Reactions: Chocki

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

Not at the 2 high schools that I taught at for 12 years.

Much more rigorous than my high school I attended.

I don't think these kids are smarter than my cohort is, but they work way harder. I was/am a lazy piece of shvt though.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Most people, including myself, don't own a reusable water bottle.

Do you realize how easy that sh!t would get lost?
Just like everything, if you take care of it it won’t get lost . . . . Usually. Probably paid for it self many times over and I hate drinking warm water that’s been sitting in my car and having trash accumulated. I also drive a lot so that could be how I keep track of them.

I guess if you're referring to all the other lol BS the kids are supposed to be involved in + stress to try to get into a "good" (lol) college then maybe.
Kinda yeah. I don’t remember anyone being expected to volunteer. We were already saddled with homework from several classes and sports. Now you are expected to work for free on top of that?

That could be a symptom of grade inflation. when everyone Is over a 4.0 you have to do all kinds of extra stuff to stand out. I went to a high school full of high achievers and only a small percentage were 3.9 or above.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That's weird I feel like literally everyone I know has a reusable bottle. Must be an Oregon thing.

My Hydroflask water bottle is at least 15 years old.
15 years?:roflmao:

I don't even have a set of car keys more than 5 years old. :ROFLMAO:

I lose/leave something behind almost weekly.

I guess this is why I score very low in conscientiousness on the Big 5 test.:toilet:

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I disagree.

I don't think the standards are lower at all. My daughter took AP Chem, Bio and Computer Science. I couldn't help her with any of it. Couldn't help her much with anything after freshman year.
That's normal to forget all that stuff after decades.

Kids today also do hours of homework every day. I slided through high school with good grades in a high achieving school district with minimal effort.
You sure did.

• Haha
Reactions: tacos

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My experience as a high school teacher is this: The top quartile of students are getting an education that is miles better and more rigorous than what similar students got 30 - 40 years ago. They are doing robotics and computer science and medical biology and graphic design and all kinds of things that just didn't exist then. Plus they're loading up on AP and dual enrollment classes and the instructors are doing a good job and most of the kids are working hard and learning. I look back on what we did and what was expected of college track kids in the '70s and think OMG, our educations sucked compared to what these kids get!
Not at the 2 high schools that I taught at for 12 years.

Much more rigorous than my high school I attended.

I don't think these kids are smarter than my cohort is, but they work way harder. I was/am a lazy piece of shvt though.
I can only speak from my experience at 3 different unis over the past 20 years.

Many of my fellow scholars always seemed woefully undereducated/unprepared for college in terms of knowledge.

A lot of college professors are now saying the same thing - the kids are not prepared for college level coursework and need remediation.

I think perhaps the erBB lends itself to a small subset of the population - upper middle/upper class people and their kids from geographic areas or genes oriented towards the sciences or slightly higher than average IQ (believe it or not!:roflmao:).

At the same time my niece is one of those high-achieving 24/7 studiers but when I see some of the stuff she's working on it seems horribly average... I'm like "Why is this causing you to work so hard?"

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
as the recipient of many UC STEM interns over the last 15yrs I can attest - they are in fact getting dumber at the most basic things.

they may take more classes and know how to do more things at their level of education and use iPads instead of notepads, but they fail at the simplest tasks if not explicitly instructed.

it’s an issue of micro focus instead of macro. Save the micro for grad school. lets just make sure they understand how to apply a basic scientific method when they finish high school, thx.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011

Kids start prepping for college in freakin middle school...It's different now

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
4.2 and only top 9%? Grade inflation is real or everyone is just a whole lot smarter nowadays.
I never knew that a GPA could be higher than 4.0. When did GPAs go over a perfect 4.0?

CSULA was very affordable way back when I went there, just a few hundred dollars per quarter.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Any recommendations on a summer math camp for a high school sophomore and eighth grader?
IMO at that age learning the power of math beats being the best at it. Internship/volunteer at a STEM career track. Unfortunately it’s a who you know game at that age but it will give them an immense jump on their peers.

learnint the rules of math sucks. But when you take that physics kinematics class and the projectile motion problem clicks and you suddenly know how high to chuck the egg off the roof to hit the car below traveling at 35mph down Garnett Ave, you realize the power of math and predicting the future and suddenly calculus isn’t so bad after all.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I always felt the top third of students are pretty much self (and parentally) motivated and will achieve under (almost) any circumstances. The bottom third are either slow or knuckleheads and would be better served with some kind of vocational education. It's the middle third that the educator is trying to stimulate and motivate.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
as the recipient of many UC STEM interns over the last 15yrs I can attest - they are in fact getting dumber at the most basic things.
I have a team of entry level workers assigned to me. They're all very smart and great people. But they lack basic initiative. If I give them a task they ask me a thousand questions about how to do it rather than just attempting to figure it out on their own. It drives me insane.

Reactions: sdsrfr and PRCD