custom wait times?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I live in a condo complex with dumpsters. We actually had to upsize our dumpsters due to all the boxes. Recycles was overflowing every week after the pandemic got real. Insanity.
You're lucky you live in complex.

The alleys around the city are generally overflowing.

Under 30s don't seem to understand
a)how to break down a box
b)dumping your boxes in the alley is littering, which is worse than just putting them in the dumpster with the regular trash

They usually leave their address on the boxes, so we return them to the proper address. Piling them up in front of their door is fun.

Jul 4, 2006
New England
It's also easy to justify compared to alternative activities. New road or mountain bike? New ski gear? Motorsports? They all make new boards seem really reasonable, especially considering the craftsmanship/artistic element of the product.

Granted, I've got an excuse book many pages long on why I need (and will always need) new surf gear, but it's a pretty easy justification for me.

Also, of all the people buying wave storms and soft tops, figure a small but significant percentage have to buy progressing to real boards.

One thing that's lead to more people surfing at my local has actually been a major increase in the number of girls and women taking up surfing. Kind of easy to forget that even with all the crowds, they're still mostly (up until recently, around here) only populated by half the potential population who could be surfing.

To keep things on topic, I just got a custom back in about 4 months, was quoted 3 but given the supply chain issues (I think they had a hard time getting blanks for a bit), it wasn't too bad a turn around.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

b)dumping your boxes in the alley is littering, which is worse than just putting them in the dumpster with the regular trash

They usually leave their address on the boxes, so we return them to the proper address. Piling them up in front of their door is fun.
i believe u had a thread on this lolZz

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
To stop taking orders because you need to catch up, and your glassers need to catch up?
WOW, just WOW. This can't sustain itself. And like that Kazuma instagram post about shapers slowly starting to see a slowdown on orders. Well, shapers better start planning for that scenario too!
I can't see how it is sustainable, I suppose shapers considering this is one of the reasons why prices haven't jumped.

I think the industry workers should get paid more considering the skill and labour needed to put our surfboards together, I would have thought it is a good opportunity to get us the consumer used to paying more. If we paid more then more glassers, sanders etc would be willing to enter the industry and our boards would get built faster, even in normal times a month wait is typical. But I don't understand the surf industry and get confused thinking about it, one of the reasons our boards are so cheap is the amount of shapers willing to enter the industry.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD

I hate to ruin your damn kids moment but my wife and I are the second youngest people in our complex and the younger neighbors aren't the problem, everyone else is over 30. As you said, people leave their addresses on the boxes so I know who it is.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
In March the turnaround on my Surf Rx custom was 11 days...poly, channel bottom, spray. (If I remember correctly they initially estimated 4 weeks.) It was my first board from them, their customer service and communication are great.
How did you initially touch base with them? Their website tool seems to be a black hole. Thx

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
How did you initially touch base with them? Their website tool seems to be a black hole. Thx
Through the contact form on their website:

Amber (Doc's wife) emailed and texted back within an hour or so and I was talking with Doc about the order a short time later. Everything was by text with Amber after that. You can also text Amber at the 714 number on their IG page to get the ball rolling:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Jeez I’m an idiot. Thanks and sorry. Visit their IG at least once a week and never saw the number up top

1620926103498.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
6 weeks for a Surf Prescriptions Varial foam. Awesome!

Sitting at 2 months for CI spinetek, and it’s still waiting in the “mill” line. The tracking numbers are a blessing and a curse. I can see a few order numbers after mine, that are already complete:foreheadslap:.

Reactions: Aruka, JDJ and PRCD

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
6 weeks for a Surf Prescriptions Varial foam. Awesome!

Sitting at 2 months for CI spinetek, and it’s still waiting in the “mill” line. The tracking numbers are a blessing and a curse. I can see a few order numbers after mine, that are already complete:foreheadslap:.
once its cut it getz finished fast.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
anyone check the wait time on a pavel?
lol.

I have a twin fin Pavel abandoned here years ago. Had it scanned, but never bothered to pick up the mother board. I cleaned it up. Not bad except it looks like the glass on fins were moved at one point and one of them is starting to crack/let go. I took it home to fix it, but so far I have only gotten as far as scrapping off the wax and looking at the fin. Kind of a step up swallow tail twin fin. PM me. I really don't want to fix the fin. If anybody is interested, I'll get the dimensions.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Sitting at 2 months for CI spinetek, and it’s still waiting in the “mill” line. The tracking numbers are a blessing and a curse. I can
I can't even believe they sill make them. The guy across the alley was doing them for awhile and I was figuring the costs on the things and IMHO, it really didn't add up. Of course none of them really add up. So nevermind.

Reactions: Aruka