Curren is Still Curren

shikaka

OTF status
Mar 10, 2003
Not that it really matters, but that vid is a mashup of clips from about 2008 to 2015. You can see a few of the waves where he’s riding a CI Biscuit. And the no-nose board was the same one that he rode in the 2015 Rincon Classic.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Well you're from a different era. I did surf with 3 guys after the mudslide though. And trees, and a car, and oil and gasoline.
Me too!

I evacuated, and the county offered free camping. It was really strange, that with the roads closed, nobody could get there, so the campground was empty.

It's a fun wave, but IMHO, not worth the effort. It breaks so rarely, that when it does, everybody wants to "score El Cap", so the crowd becomes really annoying. No rotation, no wait your turn. Lots of back paddling.

The only way to get a wave is to take off deep. Maybe you make it, maybe you hit a boulder.

I didn't learn until later that the bacteria levels were like 10,000 x above acceptable. I got a nasty sinus infection that lasted weeks.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I don't know. I've counted 100 guys and passed.

I surfed it super fun, twice in the past 2 years, with less than 20.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I don't know. I've counted 100 guys and passed.

I surfed it super fun, twice in the past 2 years, with less than 20.
If you have the time and frequency to check it you can score it.
I agree with the rincon-like crowds statement most days though. And even with only 10-20 guys out it feels like 100 at rincon cause it's so makeable and a much tighter series of takeoff spots.

My coworker drives north up the 101 every weekday midmorning and early afternoon, and he gets it every once in a while. But, once again, he drives past it every day, twice a day at off hours. I haven't even given it a look in a few years. I prefer to surf elsewhere.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Always been one of my favorite waves. Same experience with the crowd seemingly being unrelated to the wave quality.
Knew some of you would be desperate/crazy enough to paddle out there after the slide just because the the guaranteed lighter crowd :ROFLMAO:

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Love el cap but its been years since Ive surfed it. Mainly because I have to pass about a dozen waves that would be going off on my way up by the time it starts doing its thing. Had lots of good surfs there over the years though. I actually like surfing it when its really small. You can get some fun little shin high runners on a log.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Never knew people would make such a big deal about it being current or not. It was a fresh post on youtube and it looked current to me.

I just posted cause it's great surfing. Now we're talking about spots and how often they're good and crowded vs uncrowded. Not that it's a huge deal but sorry SB guys it wasn't my intent :(

Reactions: JonnyAvenues

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Never knew people would make such a big deal about it being current or not. It was a fresh post on youtube and it looked current to me.

I just posted cause it's great surfing. Now we're talking about spots and how often they're good and crowded vs uncrowded. Not that it's a huge deal but sorry SB guys it wasn't my intent :(
El Cap is goleta not sb :mad: