Crowded California

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The crowds were weird there.

the really, really good days were empty. But then the junky days would be a zoo.

a few days it was so foggy, I could barely make out the waves and just paddled out hoping itd be good, which it often was. But man was that spooky. Especially since you can’t see shore and barely see sets coming.

Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The crowds were weird there.

the really, really good days were empty. But then the junky days would be a zoo.

a few days it was so foggy, I could barely make out the waves and just paddled out hoping itd be good, which it often was. But man was that spooky. Especially since you can’t see shore and barely see sets coming.
Super foggy day, I started chasing this long left breaking out the back, got disoriented, fog lifted a bit, and realized I had been chasing a big rip was a couple hundred yards out beyond where I should have been sitting. Long diagonal paddle back out of no-mans-land. I mean, it was a good left peeling through there, but just tantalizingly out of reach. Lessons learned.

And yeah, good take on the crowds. There are some days I can't believe are empty and others, just, why did you all pick today?! It's trash.

Reactions: manbearpig

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
Seriously. Super crowded lately here and some @ssholes at morro bay have been riding their SUPs through the crowd running people over.
I'm assuming this is at the rock. If so I heard about it, it was earlier in the week, my kid got taken out by one guy who shouldn't have been out in a crowd like that, he was dangerous. From that point on my kid started burning everyone. There's a couple of sup guys who get a pass out there, the rest can **** off. I said this to my kid, and I'll say it to you, it's the rock what did you expect?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm assuming this is at the rock. If so I heard about it, it was earlier in the week, my kid got taken out by one guy who shouldn't have been out in a crowd like that, he was dangerous. From that point on my kid started burning everyone. There's a couple of sup guys who get a pass out there, the rest can **** off. I said this to my kid, and I'll say it to you, it's the rock what did you expect?
A bunch of longboarders sitting too close to the rock, and all of cal poly floating around in all of the wrong places :shrug:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Do you paddle out at Salmon, alone, when it's big? I've checked that place a couple of times and it was always big and completely empty. Like a friend of mine said, "Usually if a place is empty there's a reason."

Sure, the reason is that only about 1,000 people live within half an hour of it.

You either learn real quick up there to be comfortable in big, empty surf or you quit surfing.

Reactions: Aruka

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
A bunch of longboarders sitting too close to the rock, and all of cal poly floating around in all of the wrong places :shrug:
If this were pre 2019 I would agree with you, but now double the crowd, throw in a handful of clueless sups and add a parking lot full of van lifers and you've got 2021. And it's only going to get worse, have a nice day :)

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
If this were pre 2019 I would agree with you, but now double the crowd, throw in a handful of clueless sups and add a parking lot full of van lifers and you've got 2021. And it's only going to get worse, have a nice day :)
Surfed the Pit yesterday and the crowds were similar to Newport or Huntington or something.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Shark attack at Salmon Creek yesterday. Kento, do you know who it was?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Shark attack at Salmon Creek yesterday. Kento, do you know who it was?
I don't think so although I probably have seen him before in the lot. Saw a pic of the board, pretty damn large bite radius. Really lucky for him there were other people around.

Other than two people out 200 yards to the south of me on Saturday, was solo, almost twice as big, and breaking twice as far out.

So crazy that it was just an idyllic 2-4' day, sun shining, no wind when the attack happened. And so many days where I've been out when it's been gloomy, foreboding, breaking way, out with no one around at all, even on the beach. Kind of giving me the creeps a bit wondering how close I have been to same fate (or worse).

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't think so although I probably have seen him before in the lot. Saw a pic of the board, pretty damn large bite radius. Really lucky for him there were other people around.

Other than two people out 200 yards to the south of me on Saturday, was solo, almost twice as big, and breaking twice as far out.

So crazy that it was just an idyllic 2-4' day, sun shining, no wind when the attack happened. And so many days where I've been out when it's been gloomy, foreboding, breaking way, out with no one around at all, even on the beach. Kind of giving me the creeps a bit wondering how close I have been to same fate (or worse).

My friend said this when I asked him what the scene was like. I also couldn't find a name for the first few articles.

"Slept in a little late. I pulled up as they were getting the guy out of the water. Don't know him too well but see him out there all the time. Just glad he'll be ok. Pretty crazy but those things are always around."

Conditions were mega clean, sunny, beautiful, and fun. Like Kento said, not what you picture when you think of getting the heebie jeebies.

I surfed OB with a zillion people and a friendly family of dolphins.

Reactions: bluengreen

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My friend said this when I asked him what the scene was like. I also couldn't find a name for the first few articles.

"Slept in a little late. I pulled up as they were getting the guy out of the water. Don't know him too well but see him out there all the time. Just glad he'll be ok. Pretty crazy but those things are always around."

Conditions were mega clean, sunny, beautiful, and fun. Like Kento said, not what you picture when you think of getting the heebie jeebies.

I surfed OB with a zillion people and a friendly family of dolphins.
Drove up there to see what was going on while waiting for Doran lot to get un-full. Surfing was nixed so opted for a goof-around day for the kids as they needed a good beach day.

Hmm... what's that smell?

Ah yes, two seals rotting on the beach at high tide line. One with a visible bite out of it, but from juvenile shark most likely. Only about a 6 inch bite radius or so. Good lesson about the food chain for the kids and what dead things smell like I guess.

They promptly started watching shark attack videos as soon as we got home.

Kids. :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754