Creepiest surf spots

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Comparing North Florida or El Porto to Durban - particularly the spot in that video that looks thumpy but junky - is :ROFLMAO:

That spot is one of the most rippable beachbreaks I've ever surfed and with the exception of South Beach there is nothing in Florida that even compares in terms of quality. And the water is warm - upper 60s/low70s.
I'm sure Durban's better than Potty and Florida, the only comparison I made was I have had fun at both in a very wide range of onshores.

I'm still not buying that California, which gets Southern Hemisphere swells, isn't better than anywhere in Europe other than something like the Canaries.

Also I'll nominate Potty as creepy on account of the water and sheer number of erBBers out at any give time. I swear, it smells like cutting fluid, and it's like a regenerative spa day for my wetsuit and swivels in my leash. Rusty finbox grubs? One good Potty surf and that sh!t'll be readier to go than Black Lee. Water will bead up and roll off for a month.

Might could rename it Cleveland Beach?

* Threw shitload of tires into water
* Heavy industrial machinery on beach
* Average person is from Ohio
* The water is likely flammable

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
To add to my OP, this is just crazy, two people fishing swept off the shore and cant swim back, spend the night in the water, get spotted the next day being circled by Tiger Sharks!? WTF.

The waters off Pololu and Waipio are murky becuase they are rivermouths, and black sand beaches too. For how warm and beautiful it is, they are remote, with miles of hiking required, which adds to the feeling. You get down to the water, look out there, and something just screams dont go out.

Yeah, the ocean there, in that photo, is not singing a siren song

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Worked out in Campbell Industrial and would surf around the corner from there alone on lunch breaks sometimes. Saw a lot of shadows, maybe real maybe not.
Surfed that area a few times with a guy from work. Got the feeling a couple times.
Hit up that little park on Sand Island just past the base once in a while during morning workout.
Never good waves but always felt fishy.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Piedras Blancas is on the top of my list for creep factor.
One of my sampling sites for my thesis. had the gate code and stayed at the lighthouse. rookery, point, cold, every indication of having whites. one day, I saw a perfect A frame at the beach break just north of the gate. no takers, including me.

b/c it's closed to the public, black abs are all over the rocks in the intertidal.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
r32 story time.

On a spot mentioned above (I won't say which one), I was checking it one day leaning against my vehicle and staring into the wintery abyss. Nobody was around and it was huge. Big WNW swell around 12' @ 20" was bringing in 15' monsterous caverns, light offshore and consistent as all fvck. Every other wave was blowing out big spit. The far reef and near reef were breaking big and on larger clean up sets the waves would connect and close out as one giant 20' wall. Anyone who has surfed this spot knows pound-for-pound it could give OBSF a run for it's money and it's also just as sharky. Nobody is out and highway 1 is void of traffic.

Suddenly I hear a truck coming down the road. Two guys pull up in a beat up Taco. I could tell right away they weren't from around here and most likely drove up from LA. They tried to play the cool surfer bro brah local status card. They both got out and were immediately like 'fuck yah bro we're out there!' They kept looking my direction. They could see boards stuffed inside my SUV. They start gathering their gear as monster lefts continued pouring into the cove. Finally one of them sort of walks towards me and this is the first thing he says.

'We're from Cambria, where you are from?'

Excuse me? GTF outta here with your bullshit local status. Haha. I called them on it. "Oh really? Where do you guys work at?"

Slight hesitation to think about what to say "We work on a ranch."

Me: "Oh cool. Which one? I know all the ranchers in this area. Do you work at Hearst."

"Uh, its a private ranch. Hey, you going out?" They were hesitant as fuck to talk local when I called them on it.

Me: "Oh yah, for sure bro. It looks pretty epic today."

"So epic man! Can I ask what size board you going to use?"

Both these guys didn't have anything bigger than a 6-6. I could see the boards in the back of their truck and they were undergunned by a few feet. Keep in mind this is one of those spots that looks doable from the road, and when you get on the beach, you immediately realize the waves are 2x bigger than you thought.

Me: "I'll probably paddle my 7-10".

No response. Just kind of nods his head like, oh sh!t, this guy is paddling out on a mini gun. They stop gathering their stuff and keep watching the waves roll in. At this point I can see doubt entering their mind.

Me: "You guys going to get out there or what? Better get on it before the wind shifts."

"Yah we're going! Are you going out?" They start waxing up their ridiculously small shortboards, staring intently at the massive walls of white water rolling in. I act like I'm getting my gear together.

Finally they start to walk down the trail. About halfway down, they stop. They are in awe of the raw power sitting in front of them. Monster sets continue to pour in, with Puerto-like monster barrels ledging up on the outer reef and heaving heavy lips into the flats, creating cavernous spitting barrels. Doubt is washing over them like a 10' tide.

Me: I yelled down to them. "What are you waiting for?! Get on it!"

For five minutes, they stood there, having walked about half way down the trail. Finally one of the guys starts walking further down, while his buddy remains motionless. The guy gets down the beach and stops again. He looks up at his friend and raises his hands as if "come on man, what are you waiting for?" His buddy still halfway up the trail looks hesitant as fvck. The guy on the beach starts changing into his wetsuit. He gets his wetsuit half way on and stops to watch the waves again. At this point, the other guy on the trail comes back towards me. He gets close enough to chat.

"Where do you think we should paddle out at?" This guy was scared as fuck. I could hear it in his voice.

Internally, I'm laughing my ass off as these kooks.

Me: "I'm going to hit the south peak."

He looks at me and again had no response. He turns back to stare at the surf. I can see his buddy finally has his wetsuit on, board in hand. The guy on the beach stands there bewildered. After a few minutes, he finally picks up all his stuff and starts coming back up the trail.

Both of them are now standing in front of me, staring at the surf. Finally the guy with his wetsuit on turns to me.

"Are you going out right now?"

Me: "Nah. I decided to stay up here so I can call the coast guard to retrieve your bodies, when the current sweeps you into the rocks."

The look on their faces was fvcking priceless.

"You think it's too big?"

Me: "Are you fvcking kidding? There entire cove is closing out with 20' sets and you guys are paddling out on those tiny boards? You wouldn't get past the first wall of white water before you started drowning. And if the waves don't get you, the sharks will. See those elephant seals on the beach? That's food."

I got in my vehicle without saying another word and drove away.

Last edited:

kawika

Michael Peterson status
Mar 25, 2003
Alaska/New Mexico/BCS, MX
In my area when it's onshore there's often just no surfable face whatsoever. Also we sometimes experience this phenomenon where the waves are super weak when trying to surf them, just offering no push to move you along but then when you are on the inside trying to get back out they will absolutely light you up. Like I'm doing the huntington hop trying to stay with my wave and then 10 seconds later I'm getting the board ripped out of my hands on a duckdive. I'm not sure if it's an actual phenomenon or if it's just in my head but either way i'm not a fan.
I'm relatively new to the PNW, but I've never encountered anywhere else like this. The outside sets on the outer bars tend to be weaker and flatter. They kinda fizzle out into deeper water and then re-form on the inside bars as absolute grinders. That being said, there's a certain jetty 5 minutes from the house that I've gotten good maybe a handful of times in the 3 years I've lived here. Strong currents, take-off is just outside the jetty tip in deep blue water, lots of sea lions vibing you and it feels sharky as fvck. Always glad to have company at this spot. Super hollow left-hander when it's on. We get regular visits from orcas in the bay and the jetty mouth when the salmon are running. Makes me feel a little bit safer when they are around.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
r32 story time.

On a spot mentioned above (I won't say which one), I was checking it one day leaning against my vehicle and staring into the wintery abyss. Nobody was around and it was huge. Big WNW swell around 12' @ 20" was bringing in 15' monsterous caverns, light offshore and consistent as all fvck. Every other wave was blowing out big spit. The far reef and near reef were breaking big and on larger clean up sets the waves would connect and close out as one giant 20' wall. Anyone who has surfed this spot knows pound-for-pound it could give OBSF a run for it's money and it's also just as sharky. Nobody is out and highway 1 is void of traffic.

Suddenly I hear a truck coming down the road. Two guys pull up in a beat up Taco. I could tell right away they weren't from around here and most likely drove up from LA. They tried to play the cool surfer bro brah local status card. They both got out and were immediately like 'fook yah bro we're out there!' They kept looking my direction. They could see boards stuffed inside my SUV. They start gathering their gear as monster lefts continued pouring into the cove. Finally one of them sort of walks towards me and the first thing he says is 'We're from Cambria, where you are from?'

Excuse me? GTF outta here with your bullshit local status. Haha. I called them on it. "Oh really? Where do you guys work at?"

Slight hesitation to think about what to say "We work on a ranch."

Me: "Oh cool. Which one? I know all the ranchers in this area. Do you work at Hearst."

"Uh, its a private ranch. Hey, you going out?" They were hesitant as fook to talk local when I called them on it.

Me: "Oh yah, for sure bro. It looks pretty epic today."

"So epic man! Can I ask what size board you going to use?"

Both these guys didn't have anything bigger than a 6-6. I could see the boards in the back of their truck and they were way undergunned by a few feet. Keep in mind this is one of those spots that looks doable from the road, and when you get on the beach, you immediately realize the waves are 2x bigger than you thought.

Me: "I'll probably paddle my 7-10".

No response. Just kind of nods his head like, oh sh!t, this guy is paddling out on a mini gun. They stop gathering their stuff and keep watching the waves roll in. At this point I can see doubt entering their mind.

Me: "You guys going to get out there or what? Better get on it before the wind shifts."

"Yah we're going! Are you going out?" They start waxing up their ridiculously small shortboards, staring intently at the massive walls of white water rolling in. I act like I'm getting my gear together.

Finally they start to walk down the trail. About halfway down, they stop. They are in awe of the raw power sitting in front of them. Monster sets continue to pour in, with Puerto-like monster barrels ledging up on the outer reef and throwing heaving lips into the flats, creating cavernous spitting barrels. I can see the doubt washing over them.

Me: I yelled down to them. "What are you waiting for?! Get on it!"

For five minutes, they stood there, having walked about half way down the trail. Finally one of the guys starts walking further down, while his buddy remains motionless. The guy gets down the beach and stops again. He looks up at his friend and raises his hands as if "come on man, what are you waiting for?" His buddy still halfway up the trail looks hesitant as fvck. The guy on the beach starts changing into his wetsuit. He gets his wetsuit half way on and stops to watch the waves again. At this point, the other guy on the trail comes back towards me. He gets close enough to chat.

"Where do you think we should paddle out at?" This guy was scared as fook.

Internally, I'm laughing my ass off as these kooks.

Me: "I'm going to hit the south peak."

He looks at me and again had no response. He turns back to stare at the surf,. I can see his buddy finally has his wetsuit on, board in hand. The guy on the beach stands there bewildered. After a few minutes, he finally picks up all his stuff and starts coming back up the trail.

Both of them are now standing in front of me, staring at the surf. Finally the guy with his wetsuit on turns to me.

"Are you going out right now?"

Me: "Nah. I decided to stay up here so I can call the coast guard to retrieve your bodies, when the current sweeps you into the rocks."

The look on their faces was fvcking priceless.

"You think it's too big?"

Me: "Are you fvcking kidding? There entire cove is closing out with 20' sets and you guys are paddling out on those tiny boards? You wouldn't get past the first wall of white water before you started drowning. And if the waves don't get you, the sharks will. See those elephant seals on the beach? That's food."

I got in my vehicle without saying another word and drove away.
Epic :ROFLMAO:

Similar story from the spot of the photo GromsDad posted. I spent a week on that island many moons ago. Met a cool trio of Floridians, who had a 4th guy staying with them from Long Island that one of them tangentially knew through his parents. The 3 Floridians were super cool but the 4th guy was a moran. The day before that spot had been firing and perfect, and they were there with another crew who ripped it to shreds.

The following day I went there with the Long Island moran because the other 3 were planning to fish. The clean prerunners of the swell from the day before was now a victory at sea mess. A couple expats from California also rocked up, and we walked down to the end of the beach, without the moran, to see what was on the other side. As described earlier, basically a raised coral shore break followed by miles of cliffs with massive waves crashing into it, and the current was pushing in that direction. We were laughing at treacherous it looked.

Moran starts getting his board ready and says, "Am I paddling out alone?"? I'm like, yeah, I think you are. Guy paddles out and starts to drift. We are waving from shore pointing in the other direction, and he keeps drifting. After a few minutes he disappears around the point. The CA expats, who thought he was a friend of mine from back home, are like dude, you need to go help him. I walk around the point and see him walking up the lava reef, crying, with cuts all over himself and board that looked like a cheese grater.

I ended up spending the next couple hours patching his dumbass up. He gave me his wallet to buy first aid supplies, and when I came back with them and a beer in my hand he says, "You helped yourself to a beer with my money?!" in a sarcastic tone. I'm thinking in my head "damn straight I did, kook! This isn't how I planned to spend my afternoon!"

When I told the other 3 what happened, the one who knew him best said "Did he fook up the board?" before even asking if he was okay :ROFLMAO:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I ended up spending the next couple hours patching his dumbass up. He gave me his wallet to buy first aid supplies, and when I came back with them and a beer in my hand he says, "You helped yourself to a beer with my money?!" in a sarcastic tone. I'm thinking in my head "damn straight I did, kook! This isn't how I planned to spend my afternoon!"
:oops:

I would have turned right back and gotten a 12er.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I used to surf a lot of random areas from SF down to Santa Cruz. Some of those instantly deep water spots right off shore is pretty creepy. Dark and really deep, you just get the feeling something big is always swimming underneath or watching you. Especially the days where your the only guy out.

When I was younger I went to school for a couple years out around Orlando and would drive in my free time out to New Smryna to surf sometimes solo. Didn't know anything really about it being from out of state, just that it wasnt a bad drive and was pretty low key during the week. Just a lot of old people laying around the beach but not many in the water. Got home one day from surfing there and turned on the tv to see on the news ..."another shark attack today at New Smyrna Beach..." Than they did the helicopter fly over of hundreds of sharks that had pushed in to the coast there near the surf zone where I'm usually at. Of course i instantly go google the beach and it is known as the shark capitol of the world, lol. Oh well

That same beach I locked my keys in my truck one time and a guy out of no where came out a cafe with a spatula and a piece of wire and unlocked my truck in about 10 seconds for me. I was like "u do this often?" haha

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Was out there a couple years snorkeling, free diving down to around 20' where it drops away on west side of break. All of a sudden I see a school of these good size fish (ulua?) just scatter about 75 feet from me. I do not know what made them scatter like that but my heart was in my throat and I did not want to find out. Already had paranoid vibes before that even happened. I beelined towards the shelf as fast as I could and next thing I knew, was surrounded by several sea turtles, chilling, and floating with the surge. Went from fear to joy in less than a minute.
Kauai in all her glory! Awe, terror, overwhelming beauty, PPK, and some spam musubi :shaka:

FTR I get way more creeped at those spots as opposed to the handful of times Ive surfed north of Santa Cruz. Still surf of course, but west of hanalei feels like a buffet, along with the shallow reefs and pumping surf and long paddles etc

Reactions: Kento

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Kauai in all her glory! Awe, terror, overwhelming beauty, PPK, and some spam musubi :shaka:

FTR I get way more creeped at those spots as opposed to the handful of times Ive surfed north of Santa Cruz. Still surf of course, but west of hanalei feels like a buffet, along with the shallow reefs and pumping surf and long paddles etc
Flags and bood boods or is it bud buds? That place will make you feel alive if you make it out and back.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
One of my sampling sites for my thesis. had the gate code and stayed at the lighthouse. rookery, point, cold, every indication of having whites. one day, I saw a perfect A frame at the beach break just north of the gate. no takers, including me.

b/c it's closed to the public, black abs are all over the rocks in the intertidal.

With the elepant seal haulout on the south side of the rock....

If Point Sur beach was open to the general public...that would be a spooky place to surf.