College costs.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Billy made a good point in another thread. Worthy of its own thread.

BillyOcean said:
Leftists own academia

Problem for them is that academia is on the verge of being destroyed for being massively inefficient

It was a great run acting as freak show gatekeepers to bourgeois society

Problem is if you keep raising prices, more and more people start to question the value

Also, it’s bad business to spit on your customers

Better brush up on your dumpster diving knowledge

My kids are quickly approaching college age. College costs have become a complete joke.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
GromsDad said:

BillyOcean said:
Leftists own academia

Problem for them is that academia is on the verge of being destroyed for being massively inefficient

Problem is if you keep raising prices, more and more people start to question the value

My kids are quickly approaching college age. College costs have become a complete joke.
As a holder of 2 higher education degrees one from America and one from Australia (BTW they cost very very similar) I am not put off by the costs associated with these institutions. I am put off by 2 things though:

1) Use of education funds for professional sporting teams and the scholarships for those athletes who could not or would not otherwise be in the school. Get rid of this sh!t out of schools and focus on education.

2) Government raping us on loans...my loan for my master degree is almost 8%. That's no subsidisation at all. I can buy a car at 0-3% and i can buy a house at 4%? WTF is wrong with this picture...The math to me doesnt add up. More or less need education to get a job these days so the government penalises those that cant afford it for the next 20 years by raping people on loans. If the governement lowered interest rates to be indexed with inflation or effectively zero it would provide major relief and allow more people to get higher education. Higher education equals higher paying jobs which equals higher tax revenue and more spending. The payoff for more subdisised education would for outweight the screwjob we have going on right now.

On a side note stanford is doing the right thing. if familes cant afford to pay then stanford pays as long as the student can get in.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I don't think campuses are as out of hand as the headlines and videos would lead you to believe.

I do think that costs are inflated.

If you pick a career in a job sector with growth, the degree almost does not matter with the
exceptions of those disciplines that require extensive training such as medical.

I'm buying my kids a 3d printer and getting them in to a kid cad program for summer.

Make American Manufacturing Great Again

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
GromsDad said:

BillyOcean said:
Leftists own academia

You should have voted for Bernie.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
the NY Fed did a study on the relationship between increased Federal loans for college and increasing tuition rates here : https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/staff_reports/sr733.pdf

slightly more readable summary here: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2015/08/ny-fed-federal-aid-for-college-has-jacked-up-tuition-especially-in-graduate-schools.html

"Correlation or causation? The study looked at schools that derive a great share of revenue from student aid with those that derive a small share from aid. It compared tuition growth at those schools during the past decade with several moves made by Congress to increase caps on individual Pell grants and undergraduate subsidized loans, which are based on financial need and have better terms than unsubsidized loans.

The study found that, on average, for a $1 increase in the subsidized-loan cap, tuitions rose by as much as 65 cents. For Pell grants, it translated to 55 cents on the dollar. The study pinpoints private schools—both nonprofit and for-profit—as bigger offenders than public ones."

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hey, groms dad go for a surf, its pretty good for jerz. Just got out, improved my mood a bit.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
GWS said:
society has deemed college *mandatory* and now we have a captive market.

I cannot fathom coming out of college with 6 figure debt.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
1) Use of education funds for professional sporting teams and the scholarships for those athletes who could not or would not otherwise be in the school. Get rid of this sh!t out of schools and focus on education.
College sports MAKE money for universities.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
GromsDad said:
You should definitely keep your kids out of college.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Zander said:
GromsDad said:

BillyOcean said:
Leftists own academia

As a holder of 2 higher education degrees one from America and one from Australia (BTW they cost very very similar) I am not put off by the costs associated with these institutions. I am put off by 2 things though:

2) Government raping us on loans...my loan for my master degree is almost 8%. That's no subsidisation at all. I can buy a car at 0-3% and i can buy a house at 4%? WTF is wrong with this picture...The math to me doesnt add up. More or less need education to get a job these days so the government penalises those that cant afford it for the next 20 years by raping people on loans. If the governement lowered interest rates to be indexed with inflation or effectively zero it would provide major relief and allow more people to get higher education. Higher education equals higher paying jobs which equals higher tax revenue and more spending. The payoff for more subdisised education would for outweight the screwjob we have going on right now.

On a side note stanford is doing the right thing. if familes cant afford to pay then stanford pays as long as the student can get in.
A house and a car loan has collateral, an education does not.

Higher education does not necessarily equal higher paying jobs, in fact, the more people who have college degrees, the less special they are.

On top of all of that, the government shouldn't be in the loan business at all.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
rice said:
GromsDad said:
You should definitely keep your kids out of college.
Maybe he can home school them?

What's better to prepare them for the world than to learn reasoning and debating skills from Grommy?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
mundus said:
Hey, groms dad go for a surf, its pretty good for jerz. Just got out, improved my mood a bit.
Daylight savings time BABY!!!! I'll be in the water within an hour.

In the mean time, if any of you are out of touch with the cost these days this is a good resource. You can look up almost any college and find out what the costs would be. I graduated in 1992 and since then the cost of my school has quadrupled. I don't think wages have quite kept pace with that and that is way higher than the rate of inflation.

http://www.tuitiontracker.org/

TECHNOBUTTER

Nep status
Apr 26, 2017
NC
GWS said:
College sports MAKE money for universities.
yea free labor is a hell of a thing

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
the American way is to turn everything into a profit maximizing activity. health insurance, college, etc.

trump loves this shyt gromsdad and this is why he's dumping regulations and placing rich friends into positions of trust and power in the govt. these folks (see DeVos) are there for the express purpose of enriching corporations at the expense of the larger American society.

the role of the US govt. should be to protect us from these predatory azzholes.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Pretty funny a Trumpster complaining about the price and value of a college education, see Trump University

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
GromsDad said:
mundus said:
Daylight savings time BABY!!!! I'll be in the water within an hour.

In the mean time, if any of you are out of touch with the cost these days this is a good resource. You can look up almost any college and find out what the costs would be. I graduated in 1992 and since then the cost of my school has quadrupled. I don't think wages have quite kept pace with that and that is way higher than the rate of inflation.

http://www.tuitiontracker.org/
That is why some govt. regulation of market capitalism is needed for certain sectors.