Cloudbreak what the fvck

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Getting dry docked on the reef puts you in this bizarre world of live coral, crevices, bommies, and you have to try and find a path back out into the water which involves an hour or so walking/stumbling/wishing you were elsewhere around the lee of the reef and trying to launch off dry coral back into the water and not get caught.

it's fcuked up.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Getting dry docked on the reef puts you in this bizarre world of live coral, crevices, bommies, and you have to try and find a path back out into the water which involves an hour or so walking/stumbling/wishing you were elsewhere around the lee of the reef and trying to launch off dry coral back into the water and not get caught.

it's fcuked up.
Had an issue on the very first wave I ever caught out there.... Took a long set on the head and got washed around the judges tower. Took about a solid half hour+ to get back up the reef. The whole time I'm thinking to myself, this is going to be a long week. Ended up getting some bombs and really long, colorful tubes thru the shish kebob section.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Never been but that place looks scary with any kinda real size to it in video. Like you gotta sit in the spot and pray a big set doesn't show up while you're waiting to catch one or you're fvked.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yes I do.

This idea that pro surfers can't organise boards over 8ft when they are heading over to the best big wave on Planet Earth is, um.....deeply retarded.

I know pro surfers are intellectually challenged but Cloudbreak swells can be forecast at least a week in advance. They have coaches, managers, psychologists who they can outsource the cognitive work to if they can't watch purple blobs on a screen.

Back to the question: would they run on a big day or dog it? I think they would run mens.
And I think the pros would handle it, for the most part.
I listened to that podcast with Parmenter and it seems like the old school guys on tour were just gnarlier back in the day (Bobby was right etc).

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Always thought it was quite a bit smaller than CB.
Always thought it was quite a bit smaller than CB.
It is. But from what I was told it breaks in pretty much the same spot on the reef meaning double to triple overheard in 2 feet of water. Also the current goes apeshit.

Could be that the the contest permit is only for cloud break too. When the reefs were private they just had to deal with the Tavi owners. Now it’s public so they have to deal with the government of Fiji. They’ve run it at restaurants in the past.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Restaurants at that size would've washed right through. Not really nicely surfable, the way it usually is.

Getting caught inside at CB is a nightmare. Taken the trip, have the scars. Also got hosed on the last trip pulling in at Wilkes when a guy *from my own group* paddled up the face in front of me. Had to straighten out and just ate the reef on my arm.

Then again, another guy had it much MUCH worse at Restaurants that same trip.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Restaurants at that size would've washed right through. Not really nicely surfable, the way it usually is.

Getting caught inside at CB is a nightmare. Taken the trip, have the scars. Also got hosed on the last trip pulling in at Wilkes when a guy *from my own group* paddled up the face in front of me. Had to straighten out and just ate the reef on my arm.

Then again, another guy had it much MUCH worse at Restaurants that same trip.
The only time I actually hit a reef on that trip was inside Wilkes. Barely made contact and still got torn up a bit. It gets way shallower than it appears. I was completely shocked when I bounced. Didn’t hurt much but it’s just so incongruous to hit bottom when surrounded by so much open water.

restaurants you can see the coral burbling and poking up everywhere- you know damn well how shallow it is before you even take off. Wilkes (lack of) depth came as a surprise

I need to get back there sooner rather than later