Cloudbreak what the fvck

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Yep, and they left the cams on showing non competitors getting 20 ft barrels.
Lots of competitors too. The non-competitors who flew in were way better prepared board wise Though. No way the tour guys had enough warning to order/pack boards sufficient for those waves.

I don’t recall why they called it that day? It’s almost unimaginable that a guy could catch more than a wave or two in the span of a heat. Honestly, I’d rather watch a free surf than a comp in those conditions.

Reactions: CutnSnip and mundus

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Lots of competitors too. The non-competitors who flew in were way better prepared board wise Though. No way the tour guys had enough warning to order/pack boards sufficient for those waves.

I don’t recall why they called it that day? It’s almost unimaginable that a guy could catch more than a wave or two in the span of a heat. Honestly, I’d rather watch a free surf than a comp in those conditions.
Bollocks mate, they had more than a weeks warning that swell was coming- more than enough time to get boards organised.

Not unimaginable at all- they held a heat or two and competitors had no problem catching waves- especially with skis.

Add time to the heats, if needed.

Last edited:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
See if you can find the drone footage slowed down of Soli Bailey's bomb.

Now pay close attention to the foam ball and shock waves in the tube- thats the gnarly part when you are slotted there.
100 % foamball + inner lip explosion was nuts and his timing and position next level - insane

• Wow
Reactions: expotatonator

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Bollocks mate, they had more than a weeks warning that swell was coming- more than enough time to get boards organised.

Not unimaginable at all- they held a heat or two and competitors had no problem catching waves- especially with skis.

I knew you’d remember.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Why’d they call it off? There must have been something if they ran heats and then stopped?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Why’d they call it off? There must have been something if they ran heats and then stopped?
In my recollection. they ran 2 heats which both had very low scores, and Raoni Montiero broke his leg on the only wave he caught :shrug:

IMO, there's no way that's contestable unless each competitor has a rescue ski, a transport ski, and they make the heats 90 minutes long. That's a huge change to do on the fly.

Reactions: ElOgro and sh3

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
In my recollection. they ran 2 heats which both had very low scores, and Raoni Montiero broke his leg on the only wave he caught :shrug:

IMO, there's no way that's contestable unless each competitor has a rescue ski, a transport ski, and they make the heats 90 minutes long. That's a huge change to do on the fly.
Oops, I was kinda right, kinda wrong.
Bede Durbage beat Adam Melling with an almost excellent heat total.
Kai Otton beat Raoni.
Raoni pulled into a monster and injured his knee.

Also, there was a pretty gnarly cross chop for those 2 heats. It looked very very hard to surf.
There's no way they could've know it would glass off like it did.

Reactions: Joshua2415 and sh3

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The bottom turn and/or down the line stuff that follows the 'easy' take-offs, hmmm......

-Delusional Mr Doof out!
I thought a lot of those tubes looked really tricky. But I'm old and slow.
Same, which is why I thought some of the take-offs looked 'easy'....you know, in the same way a west swell at Pipeline (and a good surfer) can lull you into thinking a reasonable surfer could make the paddle in part.

And of course, as soon as said westerly Pipeline swell hits the inner section, said easy take-off turns into a whole different ballgame.

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Kai Otton beat Raoni.

Also, there was a pretty gnarly cross chop for those 2 heats. It looked very very hard to surf.
That's the one. Kai is a fvcking beast there, even now. Bede charged it. Raoni got hosed. And then that-was-that for the day of competition.

Reactions: Joshua2415

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
I wonder what size boards they were on? Looks like a big range...Benji Brand looked like he was on a 7'0", Nate looked like he was on an 8'6" and Jojo was on a 9'??

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah, the duuus who ran the heats weren't really open water left-hander chargers and lots of the tour duuus didn't have the boards.

Personally, overlapping 40 minute heats. I remember as they cut to the boat in the channel they were blabbing about how it wasn't contestable and some Hobg000d was getting blown out of one and doing a flyaway judo air kickout just obviously stocked out of his gourd.

I'd rather watch a freesurf than a heat with Raoni Monteiro on the wrong board but IMHO you have 40 minutes and 4 guys out there's going to be more than one score posted for all the surfers.

Unless it's Toledo's heat.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Yeah, the duuus who ran the heats weren't really open water left-hander chargers and lots of the tour duuus didn't have the boards.

Personally, overlapping 40 minute heats. I remember as they cut to the boat in the channel they were blabbing about how it wasn't contestable and some Hobg000d was getting blown out of one and doing a flyaway judo air kickout just obviously stocked out of his gourd.

I'd rather watch a freesurf than a heat with Raoni Monteiro on the wrong board but IMHO you have 40 minutes and 4 guys out there's going to be more than one score posted for all the surfers.

Unless it's Toledo's heat.
I’d think just move it to Restaurants?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Kai Otton beat Raoni.

Many f/cast suggested a troughy pattern would see light/variable winds- which is what happened.

Go on hold for an hour.

And as you already said- the heats they ran had no problems getting scoring waves.

Yes, it was dangerous, which was their justification but more dangerous than Pipe?

Pipes record of maiming/killing people would suggest not.

Reactions: Boneroni

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yes, it was dangerous, which was their justification but more dangerous than Pipe?

Pipes record of maiming/killing people would suggest not.
Only way to compare properly would be to look at the injury numbers in proportion to the number of surfers out on those waves. Way more people out at Pipe on a daily basis. Imagine if Teahupoo had as many surfers as Pipe?! Maybe Pipe would still be the more dangerous waves as it's way more unpredictable, but just a thought.